RTV900 transmission fluid change.

Haddo

Equipment
rtv900
Jun 4, 2023
alabama
I recently changed the transmission fluid on a RTV 900 at my work. Our local dealer told me it's capacity was 2.6 gallons when he was selling me the supplies for the change.

After I replaced the filters and transmission UDT2 fluid the fluid is all the way at the top of the dip stick. It's also hesitating when you first start to move. 2.6 gallons of fluid did come out after draining it. Did I do something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I recently changed the transmission fluid on a RTV 900 at my work. Our local dealer told me it's capacity was 2.6 gallons when he was selling me the supplies for the change.

After I replaced the filters and transmission UDT2 fluid the fluid is all the way at the top of the dip stick. It's also hesitating when you first start to move. 2.6 gallons of fluid did come out after draining it. Did I do something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Is this an RTV900, or an RTV-X900? They are two completely different units

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Sorry about that. It's the X900.
On the RTV-X900, the oil in the transmission does nothing more than lubricate the shafts and gears.
The hydrostat, steering, and bed lift are supplied from the hydraulic tank under the passenger seat.
There are approx 1.8 gallons in the transmission and 5 gallons in the tank.

Haddo

Equipment
rtv900
Jun 4, 2023
alabama
On the RTV-X900, the oil in the transmission does nothing more than lubricate the shafts and gears.
The hydrostat, steering, and bed lift are supplied from the hydraulic tank under the passenger seat.
There are approx 1.8 gallons in the transmission and 5 gallons in the tank.
Wow, hopefully I didn't ruin anything. So I'm guessing the extra fluid that came out is tied to the tank under the passenger seat? Thank you for your help.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Wow, hopefully I didn't ruin anything. So I'm guessing the extra fluid that came out is tied to the tank under the passenger seat? Thank you for your help.
The oil that came out when you removed the filters is from the tank, not the transmission. Drain the transmission down to the Full mark and add SUDT2 to the tank to the Full mark.
You did not hurt anything.
Always use the complete model number when getting parts or information, it helps eliminate errors.

Haddo

Equipment
rtv900
Jun 4, 2023
alabama
The oil that came out when you removed the filters is from the tank, not the transmission. Drain the transmission down to the Full mark and add SUDT2 to the tank to the Full mark.
You did not hurt anything.
Always use the complete model number when getting parts or information, it helps eliminate errors.

I see. Thank you so much. Have a good weekend.