RTV1100 Front Drive Shaft Replacement BEST option?

gunsbam45

Equipment
RTV1100
Dec 16, 2022
Kansas
I am getting ready to replace a front 4WD axle shaft on an RTV1100 that the folks I take care of some cattle and pasture for own. I want to make sure I get a good shaft back on it. I'm curious what other folks experiences have been with Kubota replacement parts vs after market, especially on the shafts right now, and if there are aftermarket brands that are a better way to go or no.

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Had replaced these on an X900 a few years ago, and went with Kubota OE. NOT cheap, but haven't had problems with them either.

gunsbam45

Equipment
RTV1100
Dec 16, 2022
Kansas
Had replaced these on an X900 a few years ago, and went with Kubota OE. NOT cheap, but haven't had problems with them either.
OK. When I did a quick online search I didn't see the Kubota factory shaft come up, but will get the serial number and see how much they are. I saw the Rhino set which I think are from Super ATV and a few other cheaper ones pop up.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
they don't put a lot of torque to the axle shafts, thus I would "think" that about any axle should suffice. On other brands, the usual cause of axle breakage is getting the wheels spinning and then while still under power they regain traction suddenly. That's not likely to happen with an RTV unless it's a sidekick. I worked on RTV's from the day they came out until 2018 and replaced ONE axle shaft; and that was because the boot had been torn for however long, filled the CV joint with dirt/grime/poo, then at some point the ball cage broke.

gunsbam45

Equipment
RTV1100
Dec 16, 2022
Kansas
they don't put a lot of torque to the axle shafts, thus I would "think" that about any axle should suffice. On other brands, the usual cause of axle breakage is getting the wheels spinning and then while still under power they regain traction suddenly. That's not likely to happen with an RTV unless it's a sidekick. I worked on RTV's from the day they came out until 2018 and replaced ONE axle shaft; and that was because the boot had been torn for however long, filled the CV joint with dirt/grime/poo, then at some point the ball cage broke.
Thanks for the info. Good stuff to know there.

gunsbam45

Equipment
RTV1100
Dec 16, 2022
Kansas
Looks like that's exactly what happened to the one I replaced today on the passenger side front. I wonder if you might answer me another question. When that shaft went out it appears to of caught the bolt head that holds the brake line on and loosened it a bit and let out all the brake fluid, and they didn't do anything about it and pumped all the brake fluid out and has to be bled out now. I was looking online for the brake bleed valves, and have found info and pics showing bleeders on top the hub visible once wheel is removed, but this RTV1100 does not have anything there where the bleeder valve is shown in the online pics I found. There's not a port or plug or any sort of mark on the casting. Any help on that one?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I do not remember where the bleeder is on those. I thought they were under a little cover on top of the hub but I am not positive.

gunsbam45

Equipment
RTV1100
Dec 16, 2022
Kansas
I do not remember where the bleeder is on those. I thought they were under a little cover on top of the hub but I am not positive.
OK. Thanks for hollering back. Another guy said the same on a new thread I started about it. What threw me off is that when I look it up online the few pictures of it I find show a bleeder valve off to the side of where the little cover is, and the little bolt down cover is still in place untouched. Looks like I just need to pull the little cover and verify. It may be that the 900 is set up different or something, as that is the only source of info I can find with pics when searching for the 1100, but I was told the hubs and shafts are the same I thought, but that may not be right.