RTA1266 PTO conical dog bolt

scratchnsniff

Equipment
2021 L3901HST
Aug 10, 2021
NE Ohio
My tiller showed up Friday. I took some time to get it set up for my QH, checked the oil, and took it out back. Dealer cut the PTO shaft before delivery and based on the manual it looked OK.

After an hour or so I heard a bang and looked back to see the PTO shaft flopping around still attached to the tractor. The conical dog bolt, on the end with the nut, bent and snapped off.

I vaguely recall the tiller hopping a bit at that time. I was moving very slowly. Based on how the shafts go together at the tiller I was very surprised this bolt broke.

I’ve ordered 2 so I have a spare on-hand. Is this a common part to break?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I trim my PTO shafts to a length such that I can decouple the shaft from the tractor at any point of the 3PH travel. Did you double check the dealers work?

That conical bolt goes into the locking groove on the splined input shaft. The only way I can figure it breaking would be due to axial movement of the yoke on the gearbox input shaft. Even so, it would be rolled or mashed.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like the tiller found a rock, got jammed, broke the shear pin. Happened to me every spring for 11 years, until house got built there. I keep a toolbox on the tiller with 3-4 'kits' of parts and tools .

scratchnsniff

Equipment
2021 L3901HST
Aug 10, 2021
NE Ohio
The PTO shaft length is OK based on the setup laid out in the manual - no issue there that I can see.
The bolt just locks the slip clutch end to the implement. According to Land Pride it's not a shear pin like some other implements have. The person I spoke to said he's only ever heard of a handful of these breaking.

This is the carrier dog bolt from the parts manual - #5
1633000120680.png

Compared to the shear bolt for my rotary cutter (which hasn't come in yet) shown as #18.
1633000323294.png

LP agreed to ship me a replacement and requested I return the piece(s) I could find of the original for their QC department to check out.

It's solved, I guess, for now.

🤷‍♂️

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Maybe your slip clutch needs adjusted or maybe its stuck. I don't believe this should have happened had the slip clutch been functioning properly. I have a desk job so take it for what its worth. Good luck.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
My tiller showed up Friday. I took some time to get it set up for my QH, checked the oil, and took it out back. Dealer cut the PTO shaft before delivery and based on the manual it looked OK.

After an hour or so I heard a bang and looked back to see the PTO shaft flopping around still attached to the tractor. The conical dog bolt, on the end with the nut, bent and snapped off.

I vaguely recall the tiller hopping a bit at that time. I was moving very slowly. Based on how the shafts go together at the tiller I was very surprised this bolt broke.

I’ve ordered 2 so I have a spare on-hand. Is this a common part to break?
The bolt was either incorrectly installed, "it's a tapered wedge bolt" or the PTO tubes are not greased. The only way pressure is applied to the bolt is through the telescoping of the PTO shaft.

scratchnsniff

Equipment
2021 L3901HST
Aug 10, 2021
NE Ohio
The bolt was either incorrectly installed, "it's a tapered wedge bolt" or the PTO tubes are not greased. The only way pressure is applied to the bolt is through the telescoping of the PTO shaft.
Thank you.
I'm leaning toward the former.
New bolt installed; confirmed PTO shaft was lubed.