RTA1250 Tiller Push Button PTO- LOVE/HATE

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Just got my B2601 and a number of implements. Absolutely love the tractor and put it through its paces this weekend. HOWEVER I quickly developed a LOVE/HATE relationship with the Lanpride RTA1250 Tiller. Love it for what it can do but HATE putting on and taking off. Its has a push button pto connector and for the life of me just about could not get it off the tractor this evening. Is the there some trick, lubricant to apply to the push button or SOMETHING to make it easier putting on and taking off. The button was impossible to even push then it would push in easy but couldn't slide off, then HARD as you know what to push then easy............so and and so forth and then by some miracle after a lot of curse words the button pushed easy and it popped off no problem This was after about 15 minutes trying. Most of my problems are related to operator error so I know this process can't be that hard, got to be a way to lube up that push button pto connector or some other trick to make putting this tiller pto on and off easier than it was for me today.

Any advice is much appreciated. My back is killing me from being stooped over trying to get the push button pto shaft disconnected GREAT GREAT tiller though!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Lube is your friend. Plus the being new factor is a big part of the problem. You might pull the PTO shaft apart and just put the PTO shaft onto the tractor together and a part several times. It will wear the sharp corners off and allow the connect - disconnect to go smoother. Often the first time is not so easy.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I keep my PTO stubs greased and when not in use, covered with the protective sleeve.

Are you sure the PTO shaft isn't too long and jamming the quick release pin against the machined in groove in the stub? All my pto driven implements, when I grease the crosses, I also put some grease in the internal spline that engages the pto stub as well.

I see lots of tractors with totally dry pto stubs. They need greased, always. Put some grease in the sleeve / cover and slide it on. That keeps the stub lubricated.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
PTO shaft is not to long. I'm mainly talking about the amount of force required to push that button on the connector. Awkward getting your hand down in the there to push that stiff button and pull off, or push the stiff button and push on. Button is in an awkward location. Guess my technique will improve with time but it was a pain in the *(^&^%! particularly when you don't have the best back.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I use a product called 'RustChek' to lube the PTO shaft and ends. It's thin so it gets into where it needs to be, it'l also 'flush' outthe buildup of dust/dirt/gunk. 'Grease' tend to collect dust, turns into a semi hard paste.
Even ATF of PS fluid should be better than 'grease'.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
PTO shaft is not to long. I'm mainly talking about the amount of force required to push that button on the connector. Awkward getting your hand down in the there to push that stiff button and pull off, or push the stiff button and push on. Button is in an awkward location. Guess my technique will improve with time but it was a pain in the *(^&^%! particularly when you don't have the best back.
I have a LandPride RTR1258. The push button is a pain.
When I unhook the pto shaft from the b2650, I move the pto selector to “mid” pto only.
This allows the rear pto to rotate about 1/2 turn. This takes the pressure off the pto shaft and that in turn release the pressure on the button on the collar. Making it easier to press.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use a product called 'RustChek' to lube the PTO shaft and ends. It's thin so it gets into where it needs to be, it'l also 'flush' outthe buildup of dust/dirt/gunk. 'Grease' tend to collect dust, turns into a semi hard paste.
Even ATF of PS fluid should be better than 'grease'.
Interesting comment (better than grease). In reality, the stub should be covered at all times when not in use and the cover is an excellent way to keep the stub lubricated and you grease your zerks anyway (I hope) so a dab of grease that is always there suffices.

Cheap grease coagulates into a hard paste, good grease don't and far as collecting dirt, if it's covered when not in use (should be), dirt isn't an issue and if it is, a quick wipe with a paper towel removes it.

I'm constantly switching out implements as in dozens of times every growing season. Never been an issue and I keep my stub cover in the toolbox when not installed.

I believe the button issue comes from one, being new and two, lack of lubrication. Give the button a shot of PBlaster. Consider yourself lucky you have a button. All my New Holland hay tools have a spring loaded sliding collar that has to be physically pulled back to engage and disengage the stub, that is a pain and not changeable. The collar attaches directly to the constant velocity double Cardan joint at the pto end of the implement.

You say you are sure the shaft isn't too long? How sure? Are you sure the shaft still has sliding freeplay when the the implement is both raised in transport position and when in the lowered position?

Reason why I say that is usually, when there is binding at the stub end (at the release), it's because the pto shaft has jammed the release collar against the pto stub which makes removal difficult. It also causes undue wear on the pto stub thrust bearing in the gearcase and in extreme instances, cause the casting to fail.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
THANKS......will lube where the button is and move the PTO selector to "mid only". Wonder what in the world is Landpride's reasoning behind the push button as opposed to the collar type release mechanism. My LP 1548 bush hog has the collar and its sooooooo much easier.

There seemed to be sufficient play in the length of the PTO when raising and lower, used it ALL weekend no issues but will look into it next weekend when I hook her up again.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I keep my PTO greased with Amsoil heavy duty grease and the cover on it. The button I keep it sprayed with silicone spray.

While sometimes a pain more often than not the button presses freely and the grease allows the connection to slide on relatively easy.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Project Farm did a comparision of penetrants, and good old Liquid Wrench came out on top. Wonder if it'd help on sticky buttons? The test was a bummer for me in a way because I just bought Kroll.

On the pto shaft, I've always lubricated with quality grease and it works great. Grease would seem to hold up better there than a thinner lubricant.