Rotary Mower - New or Used?

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
A couple years ago I bought a Rears flail mower. It was a mistake. Most of my mowing is on a steep hill that has fairly sandy soil. The flail is simply too heavy to mow while climbing without spinning tires. I have the flail listed for sale (check the Buy Sell Trade if you're interested).

I want to buy a rotary motor and I'm thinking a 6' would do.

What is you buying advice? New Used? Brand?

Thanks,

Alan

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A couple years ago I bought a Rears flail mower. It was a mistake. Most of my mowing is on a steep hill that has fairly sandy soil. The flail is simply too heavy to mow while climbing without spinning tires. I have the flail listed for sale (check the Buy Sell Trade if you're interested).

I want to buy a rotary motor and I'm thinking a 6' would do.

What is you buying advice? New Used? Brand?

Thanks,

Alan
Insufficient information to be of much help but prices of new implements has skyrocketed recently.

SDT

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I purchased a used landpride RCF2060 from one of the local dealers in my area early in 2020. They worked with me on the price a bit and I feel I got a great value as it already had the safety on both the front and the back which I wanted. I saved over $900 off the retail for a lightly used piece of equipment. Given the current market and how quick you are looking to purchase you may have fewer options.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
1) What tractor are you planning to use it with? (Didn’t see any equipment in your profile. My apologies if I missed it.)

2) Brush hogging or finish mowing?

3) You mention steep, sandy slope. Tires? Loaded rears? Wheel weights? 4WD or 2WD?

4) What does the too heavy flail weigh?

A little more info will get you much better answers.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Maybe you could trade your flail for a rotary mower. Consult your local farm implement dealers. Getting rid of unneeded things is therapeutic. Thats what I would do.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Whichever rotary mower you choose, be sure the horsepower rating of the gearbox meets or exceeds the horsepower of your tractor.