Rotary cutter rear wheel concern

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
Hope this post is allowed, as it is related to a non--Kubota implement, my BushHog 286 rotary mower. (I do have an M4900 Kubota Special Utility tractor that I pull the mower with). The rear tail wheel which support the mower has begun to ‘stick’ in a sideways position when I turn at the end of a mowing row. When it does this, it will plow up a furrow of grass and soil until I lift the deck and straighten the wheel. Needless to say, this is aggravating and time consuming. I keep the wheel lubed, and both the wheel itself and the swivel it’s mounted on seem to move freely when lifted from contact with the ground. This has just started happening recently, so looking for some advice as to what is causing this and how to remedy it. Thanks for any advice or help!

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Is the fork bent at all? They don't last long when you hog much in reverse.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
With the deck lifted try pushing the wheel up to contact its normal placement with the deck lowered. Try turning it to see if you can detect what's binding. You could also play with the up and down on a paved surface working the wheel by hand while the tractor is stationary.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hope this post is allowed, as it is related to a non--Kubota implement, my BushHog 286 rotary mower. (I do have an M4900 Kubota Special Utility tractor that I pull the mower with). The rear tail wheel which support the mower has begun to ‘stick’ in a sideways position when I turn at the end of a mowing row. When it does this, it will plow up a furrow of grass and soil until I lift the deck and straighten the wheel. Needless to say, this is aggravating and time consuming. I keep the wheel lubed, and both the wheel itself and the swivel it’s mounted on seem to move freely when lifted from contact with the ground. This has just started happening recently, so looking for some advice as to what is causing this and how to remedy it. Thanks for any advice or help!
Fork or more likely spindle is bent from backing into obstacle(s).

It will not caster properly until it is straightened or replaced.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user