Rotary Cutter for MX5100

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The hydraulic top link will still limit the amount of flex between the mower and the tractor. The old school method is to replace the top link with a short piece of chain. This allows you to pick up the mower quickly and prevent damage to the top link if the rear tires of the tractor drop into a hole or as you cross a ditch.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
The hydraulic top link will still limit the amount of flex between the mower and the tractor. The old school method is to replace the top link with a short piece of chain. This allows you to pick up the mower quickly and prevent damage to the top link if the rear tires of the tractor drop into a hole or as you cross a ditch.

I have read about that idea and would prevent damage but it would still allow the wheel to come off the ground when going over a hill . It happens all the time. Maybe there is no fix for this. I'm going to try to get the rocks out and think there's only a dozen or so.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Sometimes the wheel will come off the ground when you go over a rise.
The real damage you want to avoid is bending the top link when you cross a ditch or swale. That tends to shorten the distance and put the top link in compression.
I've never used the chain approach, but I like the idea. Just have to make sure it can't get in the drive shaft.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I got it all set up the best I could yesterday. (there is no flat spot on the ground to measure from) Also I did not get the pto shaft safety chains with it so I had to make some. If I remember correctly there are 7 holes for the rear wheel adjustment and I put the bolt in the middle hole. I'm estimating that I'm cutting about 5" tall. I tried it out for about 20 minutes and it cut great compared to the 4' cutter on the little 1025R. I was climbing large hills in the middle hydro range cutting really thick and tall stuff (has not been cut in years) and the RPMs only dropped about 200 or so. The 1025R would REALLY struggle with that even at a slow crawl. Needless to say I'm very happy with the way it mows. It still only lifts the mower less than a foot off the ground with my adjustments. I'm starting to think about the chain idea instead of top ink again and I will try to explain my concept the best I can. Make the chain length have enough slack in it so it lifts up about what it does now. Maybe a little less. Say it lifts the wheel about 10" on level ground. That should be enough lift height to get me off a log or rock quickly while mowing. If the chain has enough slack that it interferes with the PTO shaft then I could put a bungee cord from the middle to the tractor somewhere pulling it upwards. If the chain size was large enough for a pin to go through the links then I could lower the mower all the way down and re-adjust the length quickly in the field after I'm done mowing. That way the rear wheel won't occasionally bang on the ground plus I can get under it for maintenance or pulling out wire and such.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am leaning towards a middle of the road 6'er. One with 2" cutting capacity so it should not be too heavy. I have found some that have chains in the front, chains in the front and rear and ones with no chains. Of course no chains are less money. The 4'er that I was using had chains front and rear. How important are chains? Can they be added if I can't find one with chains? They look like a bolt on kit. Woods charges about a total of $300 more for both front and rear chains. If buying a new cutter should I be looking at another brand besides Woods or Land Pride? Bush Hog brand?
I’m buying a MX6000 and decided on a landpride RCR2072

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I found a used Land Pride RCF2072 for $2,200 that looks in okay shape but it missing the front and rear guards or chains.
I’m buying that same cutter new with my mx6000 purchase. It sells new for $3200. The chain guards are an option and do not com with the cutter.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Most newer cutters have a flex link built into the top link connector.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Most newer cutters have a flex link built into the top link connector.
Agreed, but such linkages have limited operating ranges which are usually (always?) inadequate for uneven terrain.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Agreed, but such linkages have limited operating ranges which are usually (always?) inadequate for uneven terrain.

SDT
The flex link has always worked for my needs, but I don’t do cutting on hilly terrain.