ROPS lights. Relay and switched power.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
I keep getting questions about finding a source of 12V power AND finding some switched power (power that goes off when the ignition is turned off) on the BX Series Tractors. I'm going to keep this short......for more info on this and other mods, you can go to my YouTube Channel (Http://BotaTrac.com). I will have some video's up by the end of the week. I'd appreciate it if you'd subscribe also!

Two problems exist:

1. No readily available source of 12V SWITCHED power
2. No room in the fuse box to add another circuit.
Being a conspiracy theorist at heart - I'm pretty sure Kubota does this intentionally.

SERIOUS NOTE: Also remember that cutting into your wire harness voids your warranty. Also, Use a test light just to double check your switched power circuit. Just because it worked like this on mine - well, please double check on yours before you cut into the harness if you decide to proceed.

I took 3 30" pieces of 12ga wire and connected them directly to the positive side of the battery with inline fuses, ran them over the top of the battery box and cased them in corrugated loom. (See Pic 1)

Located and removed the existing OEM Fuse box and located the fuse that powers the DC outlet (this one is switched by the ignition See Pics 2&3)

Spliced a 30" piece of 14ga wire into the load side of the DC outlet wire (which is also 14ga) - made sure to protect it with an inline fuse close to the fusebox. Remember, the new waterproof fusebox is going to supply 12V low amperage power to the low side of the relay's ONLY. DO NOT put any other devices into the new fusebox or you'll be calling for too much amperage through the ignition switch. That's what the 3 12ga wires that are connected to the battery terminal and fused inline are for.....getting more and expandable sources of 12v under the hood for accessories.

I then Installed the waterproof "add-on" fusebox and powered it with fused 14ga wire from the DC outlet splice. (Yes, the device will be double fused ultimately. See Pic4)

I Installed a Ground Buss Bar and grounded it to the battery's negative terminal and the frame (Yes, double grounded see Pic 5). This was purely for convenience.

I Wired the "low end" of the relay to the new waterproof fusebox on the line side and a switch to the load side.

Then, I wired two of the three 12ga power wires to the "high side" of the relay and then to the light fixture. ......done! The third could be used for future use.

Here's what's happening: The ignition is putting power to the switch through the waterproof fusebox when the key is now turned on. You can now turn your light switch on and your lights will illuminate. If you forget to turn off the rocker switch for the lights, they will now go off when the ignition is turned off.

Simply put: The ignition is powering the "low side" of the relay(s) and the battery is powering the "high side" of the relay(s).

Hope this helps - I know relay's can be complicated until you do a couple.

Attachments

Last edited:

DTWCastle

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 30, 2016
Michigan
The BX tractors have a built in switched and constant lead already in the harness right above the 3pt top link. I just did my lights last week and used it.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
The BX tractors have a built in switched and constant lead already in the harness right above the 3pt top link. I just did my lights last week and used it.

That's what I was told......but some of us - particularly with the 25D seem to be missing that part of the harness. over the top link.

Ha, ha, ha....... maybe we got Monday/Friday Kubotas!! :rolleyes:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
The 25D has those leads, found mine and hooked up the older incandescent light, years ago. Its not over the top link but to the left in the wire loom. Bought some Leds a while ago and waiting to hook those up. Dont know crap about relays, I understand how it works though, just waiting for Bota's youtube channel!

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
The 25D has those leads, found mine and hooked up the older incandescent light, years ago. Its not over the top link but to the left in the wire loom. Bought some Leds a while ago and waiting to hook those up. Dont know crap about relays, I understand how it works though, just waiting for Bota's youtube channel!

Cool. Thanks slim! I'm posting the first two video's today. Nothing special, just kinda "getting to know me" stuff. I'm working on one right now that goes over installing an LED Volt Meter then on to the ROPS Lighting one. That one is going to be kinda involved and I'll need a tripod or someone to hold the camera while I draw out the wiring diagram. I'm shooting for sometime over this upcoming weekend.

If you're one of the guys who already subscribed to my channel at http://www.botatrac.com, Thanks Brother!! You'll see several mods on my scooter in the background of those video's already. I will post about every one of them over time.

For example: I have a complete bush hog redo, chainsaw bracket fabrication, car carrier trailer convert, ballast box and log skidding hitch that are among some of the stuff that will be posted in the future, The difference is that no work has been on those yet. They're piled in a heap alongside the barn right now, so they'll be step-by-step / start to finish vids when I get to them.

Thanks! Good luck and Godspeed!

DTWCastle

Equipment
BX2370
Nov 30, 2016
Michigan
Sweet!! The 2370 is a GREAT lil' scooter. TONS OF POWER!! Get 'er going and post some pics - I'd love to see her working!!
I just got it in late fall and with a lackluster winter haven't had too many days were I could work with it. I did start digging out our new garden area before the ground froze. I'm hoping to get back on that project in the next couple weeks so we're ready to plant.

Attachments

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Cool. Thanks slim! I'm posting the first two video's today. Nothing special, just kinda "getting to know me" stuff. I'm working on one right now that goes over installing an LED Volt Meter then on to the ROPS Lighting one. That one is going to be kinda involved and I'll need a tripod or someone to hold the camera while I draw out the wiring diagram. I'm shooting for sometime over this upcoming weekend.

If you're one of the guys who already subscribed to my channel at http://www.botatrac.com, Thanks Brother!! You'll see several mods on my scooter in the background of those video's already. I will post about every one of them over time.

For example: I have a complete bush hog redo, chainsaw bracket fabrication, car carrier trailer convert, ballast box and log skidding hitch that are among some of the stuff that will be posted in the future, The difference is that no work has been on those yet. They're piled in a heap alongside the barn right now, so they'll be step-by-step / start to finish vids when I get to them.

Thanks! Good luck and Godspeed!

Subscribed! Very interested in the chain saw bracket fabrication. Have some parts sitting around, but haven't found enough examples to feel comfortable moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Agreed. They are there. Mine were very well wrapped up in electrical tape at a "Y" split in the loom. Most difficult part of accessing the wire was getting through the electrical tape.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Hi BodaTrac,

I totally get the part that you don't have enough room for anything additional in the fuse box that comes with the BX I got a B2620 and I had the same problem. So I decided to build my own external power unit :)
Really cool idea. Unfortunately, I have that spot reserved for a chain bucket. Either fabbing my own or going the easy button route from Coupers Products.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Hi BodaTrac,

I totally get the part that you don't have enough room for anything additional in the fuse box that comes with the BX I got a B2620 and I had the same problem. So I decided to build my own external power unit :)

see my video at this link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=terRcc_J2Xw&spfreload=10

any questions feel free to ask.

Claude
Awesome video Claude! you have great vision and fab skills. I subscribed to your channel and I'd advise anyone else who likes to see quality mods to do the same - BoatTrac

cleo101

Equipment
New Kubota LX3310
Dec 4, 2015
Thorndale, Ontario - Canada
Thanks so much so the thumbs up Bota :) There is a lot of people on here with way more skill and probably a lot better tools to work metal with than me, I try to show people that even with a cheap welder and a 4½" grinder you still can fab some stuff :) I try to have fun with it :) Thanks again.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Thanks so much so the thumbs up Bota :) There is a lot of people on here with way more skill and probably a lot better tools to work metal with than me, I try to show people that even with a cheap welder and a 4½" grinder you still can fab some stuff :) I try to have fun with it :) Thanks again.

No problem! To me - that's the whole idea! Super-simple to ridiculously complex.....I love looking at it all! let's all burn some diesel and have a blast doin' it!!