Root rake grapple

jimmyob

Equipment
LX3310, loader, forks&spade, grapple, post puller, stump bucket, WM8H, brush hog
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
Hi guys, I'm looking for a root rake grapple for my LX3310. I can get a Land Pride scg0554 right now. 54", 180 lbs, 1/4" steel tines.
Or I can wait God knows how long for the 60" which has 5/16" thick tines and weighs 250 lbs. Should I hold out for the slightly beefier scg0660 or just grab the one that's available?
Thanks!
Jimmyob

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I would wait I'm not positive but I think the scg0554 was designed for the BX series machines and will probably be a little light duty for your application.

Reactions: 1 user

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
@jimmyob do you plan on rooting with it? What is the soil/rock like in your area?

AdmiralS

Equipment
ToolCat UW53 (On Order), LX3310HSDC
Dec 7, 2021
Hudson Valley, New York
I have the LX3310 and got the Land Pride SGC0660.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone with the Everything Attachment's 55" Wicked Grapple. I like the more rugged build, serrations on the tines and better pin design.

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Hi guys, I'm looking for a root rake grapple for my LX3310. I can get a Land Pride scg0554 right now. 54", 180 lbs, 1/4" steel tines.
Or I can wait God knows how long for the 60" which has 5/16" thick tines and weighs 250 lbs. Should I hold out for the slightly beefier scg0660 or just grab the one that's available?
Thanks!
Jimmyob
If you watch GP Outdoors YouTube videos, you can see he has bent his grapple digging up and carrying rocks. Depending on your soil and use, determines how much grapple you need.

I'm another vote for the EA 55" Wicked Root Grapple. I haven't been able to damage mine yet and it isn't from a lack of trying.

20211106_111620.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I have the same HLA grapple as GP but far different soil conditions. GP is on the Canadian shield with plenty of granite and he will push his gear to the max rooting boulders. I have sandy soil and shale. So far, using mine rooting and pushing trees over it's been unscathed.

If our dollar was stronger and shipping more reasonable I would of probably went with with a EA 55" to try it but buying direct from the States isn't economical.

20211011_113836.jpg
20210827_193908.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

jimmyob

Equipment
LX3310, loader, forks&spade, grapple, post puller, stump bucket, WM8H, brush hog
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
I would wait I'm not positive but I think the scg0554 was designed for the BX series machines and will probably be a little light duty for your application.
Yes, I feel like 1/4" is kinda light. This wva ground is very rocky. I just took out a small stump and excavated 15 melon sized rocks with it. Thanks!

jimmyob

Equipment
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
I have the same HLA grapple as GP but far different soil conditions. GP is on the Canadian shield with plenty of granite and he will push his gear to the max rooting boulders. I have sandy soil and shale. So far, using mine rooting and pushing trees over it's been unscathed.

If our dollar was stronger and shipping more reasonable I would of probably went with with a EA 55" to try it but buying direct from the States isn't economical.

View attachment 72143
View attachment 72144
I'm also a little concerned about the weight of the attachment. Takes away my lift weight. I wish I was a product tester, I'd get one of each! Thanks!

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I'm also a little concerned about the weight of the attachment. Takes away my lift weight. I wish I was a product tester, I'd get one of each! Thanks!

Well good luck in your search I can tell you this any grapple is better than no grapple :)

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Check out Homestead Implements, I have their Pinnacle series, 55". I love it, and 10% military discount. I am also in WV.

jimmyob

Equipment
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
@jimmyob do you plan on rooting with it? What is the soil/rock like in your area?
Tons of granite. Fist sized to boulders.
Stumps and roots would be easy without the rocks throughout.
So maybe I need more heavy duty steel? Thanks

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
EA is 11 pounds lighter than the scg0660!!!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Thanks!
Jimmyob
I waited 6 months for a scg0660 and finally gave up and bought the virnig
URG60-CT
from messicks. they have some in stock now.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
The 0660 has a cross member close to the tines. Helps to limit the digging depth.
Haven't had issues with smooth tines. The curl breakout force is stronger than your lifting force.

jimmyob

Equipment
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
EA is 11 pounds lighter than the scg0660!!!

I would go with the wicked
Check out Homestead Implements, I have their Pinnacle series, 55". I love it, and 10% military discount. I am also in WV.
I will, thanks! I'd be happy to get my military discount as well. Thank you!

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Whatever you choose, you will probably be happy with it. The limiting factors are the tractor's FEL and hydraulic system; you will run out of those before your run out of grapple. If you are damaging your grapple on a regular basis, you are probably overworking/damaging your FEL and hydraulic system too. Having an extremely tough grapple does not protect your tractor.

It is a compact tractor - not a skid steer.

I just used my grapple to move and dump several tons of Privet Hedge (some of the trunks were 8+ inches and some of the Privet was 25+ feet tall), and I have several tons to go (ran out of rental dumpster space). However, I chained sawed (love my Stihl Farm Boss) all of the Privet; I did not try to tear them out with the grapple. I do not think that I could have torn them out with any grapple on a compact tractor, while the individual Privets supported each other by being dense, intertwined and extensively connected by brambles. After I removed everything, I went back and tested popping out the small Privet stumps with my bucket sporting a tooth bar. I could rip the small stumps out individually with ease - almost no resistance in 2 wheel drive.

If I had a skid steer, I probably could have just ripped everything out with a grapple. Of course, if I had a skid steer, I could have rented a forestry mulcher attachment to wipe everything out on site.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Whatever you choose, you will probably be happy with it. The limiting factors are the tractor's FEL and hydraulic system; you will run out of those before your run out of grapple. If you are damaging your grapple on a regular basis, you are probably overworking/damaging your FEL and hydraulic system too. Having an extremely tough grapple does not protect your tractor.

It is a compact tractor - not a skid steer.

I just used my grapple to move and dump several tons of Privet Hedge (some of the trunks were 8+ inches and some of the Privet was 25+ feet tall), and I have several tons to go (ran out of rental dumpster space). However, I chained sawed (love my Stihl Farm Boss) all of the Privet; I did not try to tear them out with the grapple. I do not think that I could have torn them out with any grapple on a compact tractor, while the individual Privets supported each other by being dense, intertwined and extensively connected by brambles. After I removed everything, I went back and tested popping out the small Privet stumps with my bucket sporting a tooth bar. I could rip the small stumps out individually with ease - almost no resistance in 2 wheel drive.

If I had a skid steer, I probably could have just ripped everything out with a grapple. Of course, if I had a skid steer, I could have rented a forestry mulcher attachment to wipe everything out on site.
That is kinda how I use my tractor overall, I don't abuse it. I bought a grapple mostly for the handling of material, not rip and tear till failure. I expect it to be really handy for my own firewood I cut.

jimmyob

Equipment
Dec 10, 2021
West Virginia
I agree guys, thanks! I'll just get what I can get and be nice to my tractor. Save up for a skid steer! Merry Christmas!