rim inside coating

Tim Keith

Sep 16, 2017
San Antonio
Other than paint or powder coating is there a protective coating that prevents rust? My rims had been sprayed with asphalt undercoating and it trapped rust

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Other than paint or powder coating is there a protective coating that prevents rust? My rims had been sprayed with asphalt undercoating and it trapped rust
Remove all rust, then Zinc primer then a good top coat is the best you can do.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm wondering if one of the 'exhaust manifold' ceramic based paints(VHT ??) would be good ? Surface prep is KEY to any application of paint. Once the paint has properly cured ( read the label for time and temperature...) THEN mount the tires.
The problem is mounting the tires. Unlike factory install( a warm, push on) ,regular guys use tire irons ,which will scratch the paint..sigh..bare metal, even a sliver and ,well, rust will form....

Tim Keith

Sep 16, 2017
San Antonio
I'm wondering if one of the 'exhaust manifold' ceramic based paints(VHT ??) would be good ? Surface prep is KEY to any application of paint. Once the paint has properly cured ( read the label for time and temperature...) THEN mount the tires.
The problem is mounting the tires. Unlike factory install( a warm, push on) ,regular guys use tire irons ,which will scratch the paint..sigh..bare metal, even a sliver and ,well, rust will form....
After painting the rim cosmoline would probably help