Right to repair legislation in Nebraska

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I stumbled over this interesting piece about farmers trying to gain the right and ability to repair their equipment in Nebraska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8JCh0owT4w

(I did try a search and see if this has come up here before, but apparently the words "right" and "to" are too short for the search engine to bother with, leaving only the word "repair". Do you have any idea how many threads on this board mention the word "repair"? :p)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Good for them! Very interesting, thanks for posting. Makes me think I should have kept the Ford 8n around, but I think my new tractors will outlive me.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Thanks for sharing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Seems like I saw NYS Senator Chuck Schumer was advocating something similar several months ago.....I don't pay close attention to what he says..

Don't hold me to that - it might have been local Farm Bureau lobbying Schumer.

Seems like the timeframe was shortly after D2Cat's thread on the subject, because I immediately knew what the problem/issue was.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent video!

Farmers have always been smart - these guys (girls too) are getting smarter with the high tech stuff daily because they have too!

As we all know - this boils down to ONE thing.....and only one thing.....

Money - and greed - and much like the Prohibition Act of 1918......IF big brother wins, the illegal stuff will boom! The black market will increase - and JD or whomever else will still make a ton of profit because it is all proprietary.
Back in the day, I use to work on computers.....I hated IBM's and Compaqs - they were ALL proprietary....and it hurt to repair them!

I understand the "we make the tractor" and "we make the software" but at some point in time........the FARMER is making the food!!!!! ARE they that stupid to think bringing in a tractor for a 3K bill will not have any affect on future prices of the goods the farmers produce? And yes the farmer will NOT get that increase......

I have never met a "poor" farmer (there are many that dont have fancy stuff- but always seem to make it with determination), nor have I seen one drive a lamborghini ...
The farmer had a tough job back in the day.....and yet somehow the gubberment always seems to think it is their business to make it harder on those that farm!

Farming has to be one of the hardest jobs on the planet - it was back when a guy that had 5 acres, now the small farmer has 500 or 50,000 acres....I truly cannot imagine what it must be like to have that much work everyday.....

whats next? The government saying that they cannot till the dirt?

Great video - thanks for sharing!