RFMs

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I'm looking at used rear finish mowers. Don't really need one but we don't let that stop us here. Pretty sure I want rear discharge. Feel free to try to talk me out of that if you feel motivated to do so . Woods looks well built but the ones I'm seeing on craigslist all seem to be side discharge.
Arts way is usually rear discharge. What's everyone's thoughts on whether front casters are needed. I don't have position control on my 3ph if that changes the answer. Any sage thoughts about Arts way?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Finish mower: please log one vote for front casters; especially with no position control on your three point.

With front and rear casters on the deck, it’s rolling along independently controlling cut height while the three point floats and you don’t mess with it unless you quit cutting and pick it up for transport.

Woods makes good stuff. Don’t know anything about the other brand.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Rather than buy “used” I bought a new one with a two-year warranty and ”free” shipping from Betstco for similar prices.... and have a nice amount of angle-iron left-over for various projects from their shipping-frame. It is 4-casters (Yes, you want 4) and rear discharge (including chain-guards) And dual drive-belts.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Have used RFM's since around '91 or '92 and all have had 4 wheels. That allows the deck to follow the contours as you mow. So far I've had two new LandPrides (5' side discharge and 6' rear) and three Caronis (one new 5' side discharge, used 5' side discharge and a used 90" rear discharge). The LandPrides are built heavier, but I really like the Caroni decks.

At a leisurely pace I can do our 3-1/2 acres with the 90 incher behind the L4240 in around 1-1/4 hours.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I have a used old beast with a side discharge, i like the side only because I can back the deck under some trees and get really close to the trunks. It has 4 casters and a bunch of settings on them. Follows rather nicely. I do keep my 3pt probably a little tighter than you should for a mower but that’s cause I backup in quite a few spots.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Bush Hog, Rear discharge with chains... no anti scalp wheel in the front center. After a few time trimming down the high spots, you'll no longer have those high spots. It does have the 4 wheels.

Bought off Craig's List for $750 - no rust (still doesn't have any) but the arms for the pins were bent. A few minutes in the press, and they were straight again. Had to weld up something, I forget what it was.

It's a tank and it's the most used of all my implements... for cutting grass on our trails.

L2501dt

Jun 5, 2020
Connecticut
I'm looking at used rear finish mowers. Don't really need one but we don't let that stop us here. Pretty sure I want rear discharge. Feel free to try to talk me out of that if you feel motivated to do so . Woods looks well built but the ones I'm seeing on craigslist all seem to be side discharge.
Arts way is usually rear discharge. What's everyone's thoughts on whether front casters are needed. I don't have position control on my 3ph if that changes the answer. Any sage thoughts about Arts way?

I have a 6 ft woods rear discharge on my l2501. Bought it on craigslist for 750. Cheapest one i could find all other ones were 1200+ Very well built