Reversing Wheels

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I'll be taking off the front wheels so I can clean and inspect the hubs, etc. Something I regularly did back in my Jeep days. I noticed that I could gain a couple of inches in my front footprint if I reversed the wheels. Having the valve stem on the inside is not an issue. Bearing in mind that our farm is not steeply sloped, am I gaining anything? What are the pro's and con's of doing this and should I consider the same for the rear wheels? (A major PITA)

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I think I read in the Kubota manual not to do that with front wheels of a 4- wheel drive tractor. I'm not sure why, maybe it puts too much stress on the system.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Doing it to the front will not gain you anything, not stability and not better traction.
What it will gain you is the risk of broken or worn parts.

Doing it to the rears is the exact opposite, better stablility and foot print.
No noticeable gain in wear or possible damage.;)

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I was concerned about the stress issue. Main reason I'm tearing into the front end is to find out what "stress" has been caused by 40 plus years of neglect.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
I reversed the front wheels on a L245DT. Had a trailer with just two ramps and front did not fit. Well I know why they say not to do that. Using the front end loader to pick a stripped ford van up to go to the scrap yard. LOJD pop as bearings crushed. Money from the scrap run did not pay for half the cost of front axle repair. Do not do it with a old kubota as 30 year old stuff costs and is hard to locate. Smart do not need to be told - dumb do not listen.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My green blooded buddy and i had this conversation tonight,same guy that was dead against flipping the rears. Rears only added 4" and made a world of difference- did it when he was away at work. Explained the front issue and he understood immediately. Thank goodness as green blood makes for thick skulls.

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Rear wheels are out to the end of the axle. I didn't want to stress the front but wanted to know what others thought about it. I'm going to put them back on as per original.

nzzshl

Equipment
1982 Yanmar GT14(YM146), 2015 BX25, BX5450 snowblower
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
Not being familiar with those wheels specifically, wouldn't reversing the wheel leave you with wheel nut or bolt seats that are not chamfered? If the conically chamfered seat on the wheel wasn't present, how does the fastener hold torque without a lock washer? Sounds like a questionable practice to me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not being familiar with those wheels specifically, wouldn't reversing the wheel leave you with wheel nut or bolt seats that are not chamfered? If the conically chamfered seat on the wheel wasn't present, how does the fastener hold torque without a lock washer? Sounds like a questionable practice to me.
Most tractor wheels that use a tapered nut most of the time both sides will be tapered as they are designed to be flipped.
On most newer models they use flat backed nuts, they do not ever use lock washers on wheels. ;)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Reversing wheel direction on mine is easy, just move the left lever at the top down or up. :rolleyes::p:D

Attachments