Replacing L3901 with MX5400

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
This is my first post here. I've lurked for a few years since I bought my L3901 in 08/2016 but never joined up until now.

My L3901 recently succumbed to a fire (more details after insurance claim is resolved) and I'm replacing it with an MX5400. I've been doing a lot of reading about the MX series and I'm stoked to bring the larger, much more capable machine home soon.

The L3901 was a great tractor, though I have wished for a bigger tractor quite a few times. Whether it's lack of FEL capacity to lift a loaded pallet, lack of oomph pushing over large clumps of privet, etc. It wasn't enough that I would've sold the L3901 to upgrade though. But now that it was lost in a fire, I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade since I've paid off so much of the L3901 loan. The upgrade is a fairly negligible hit in the grand scheme of things.

I spoke to the insurance company today and it sounds like we're dangerously close to funds changing hands and the MX5400 being made official.

The basics: MX 5400 ROPS HST, R4 tires, adding 1 rear remote. LA1065 FEL, adding third function for future grapple purchase. BH92 backhoe, adding QA coupler + hydraulic thumb.

I have yet to find a BH92 with the QA bucket and hydraulic thumb online so I'm excited to use it and will definitely share pictures when everything arrives.

We live on 8 acres in the city. My tractor is used predominantly for clearing land, grinding stumps, digging up concrete road bed that was dumped all over the property (hello hydraulic thumb), etc. I don't do any agricultural work or regular large acreage mowing, etc. at this point (would like to have some country land on a lake some day).

I'm a very low hour operator at this point. My L3901 had less than 150 hours in roughly 4 years of use. Between 5 young children and running a small business, I just don't get much seat time. We just bought 2.5 acres next door and I plan to do some minor work around the pond and then the next big task is clearing 3+ acres of insanely thick privet so we can use more of our property.

The attached images show my oldest boy next to an L3901 and next to an MX5400. It gives a pretty decent idea of the size difference between the two tractors.

L3901:
L3901.jpg

MX5400:
MX5400.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Welcome to the forums - fingers crossed with the insurance company.
Thanks! The claim is approved, it's just a matter of everything being finalized so I can move forward with the MX5400. With the holidays coming up, I'm cautiously hopeful that I'll have a big orange present 'under the Christmas tree'.

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you want to move heavy skids around with a MX you will need sufficient rear ballast the MX series machines are really light in the backend. I do like the hydraulic thumb on our BH92 it does come in handy for sure.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would add 2 rear remotes to your package in case you want to add top-n-tilt to your 3 point hitch at some point down the road.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Congrats on the new tractor. Look forward to seeing pictures of it in use.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
We have an L3901 and an MX5800: both are great units. We use the L in the woods and the MX for open fields work. For your use no downside to the MX, it is significantly more beast
I'm by no means in position to need two tractors and I feel the MX will be much more suited to my property. There are a few times when I'm working down in the trees clearing brush that the smaller physical size of the L3901 would be beneficial, but at the same time, the extra mass and power of the MX5400 will shine there so I'm willing to trade off the more compact size.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
If you want to move heavy skids around with a MX you will need sufficient rear ballast the MX series machines are really light in the backend. I do like the hydraulic thumb on our BH92 it does come in handy for sure.
I have the backhoe but it's not always on so I'm considering having the tires filled. I don't see me doing wheel weights.

Get some nice LED rear work light on there too
Already working on that. This tractor will get most of the stuff I regularly wished was on my L3901 but I never made time to do.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I would add 2 rear remotes to your package in case you want to add top-n-tilt to your 3 point hitch at some point down the road.
I've considered adding another rear remote but I'm just not sure I'd ever need more than one. How often do you use more than one rear remote?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I've considered adding another rear remote but I'm just not sure I'd ever need more than one. How often do you use more than one rear remote?
I have 3 and use them all the time.

Top&Tilt cylinders and an extra for power angle/lift etc. I also have the 3rd function remote for the front.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
thats a pretty big upgrade & a whole lot of tractor for 8acres of land. CONGRATS!!!

always get as much tractor as you can afford for the space. :)

as long as you dont have tight trees to deal with? you will be fine. get those back tires loaded though, because that baby will lift enough in the front to tip ya if you dont have some ballast back there.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I used all three of mine today with the snowblower it has hydraulic rotate and hydraulic deflector plus I have the hydraulic top link on that takes care of all three remotes.

remotes.JPG

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX

Top&Tilt cylinders and an extra for power angle/lift etc. I also have the 3rd function remote for the front.
I was planning one for the rear and the 3rd function up front for sure. Now you guys have me thinking I may do more for the rear. It'll be much easier to do it now than later.

One concern is the backhoe. Am I not creating interference between the hoe and the rear remotes?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I was planning one for the rear and the 3rd function up front for sure. Now you guys have me thinking I may do more for the rear. It'll be much easier to do it now than later.

One concern is the backhoe. Am I not creating interference between the hoe and the rear remotes?

No you won't use the rear remotes when your hoe is on and make sure the 3pt is in the lower position when the hoe is on and you will be fine.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI

Hi I own both L3901 and MX5800, you will love the extra capability of a new MX. I also only put one set of rear remotes and regretted not having two sets. Good luck with your new tractor

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
No you won't use the rear remotes when your hoe is on and make sure the 3pt is in the lower position when the hoe is on and you will be fine.
Just to be sure my question was clear, I meant an actual physical interference. As in the seat for the BH is impeded by the rear remotes - two objects trying to occupy the same space.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Hi I own both L3901 and MX5800, you will love the extra capability of a new MX. I also only put one set of rear remotes and regretted not having two sets. Good luck with your new tractor
The greatest part of online forums: it's so easy to spend someone else's money!

I kid, of course, but I'll likely add another set (or two) since we're not talking about a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX

One thing to note: the Kubota build site will not allow top-n-tilt to be added if the tractor is equipped with a backhoe.