Replacement Tractor suggestion for L245DT

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

Good day! Hotter than the hubs of hell here in Northern California. Been over 100 most of the week.. Yeesh! Okay, got a question. We have a little over 20 acres of flat bottom land. We've just taken out an old walnut orchard and are needing to figure which way to go with it. This was kind of in the works, but also kinda coalesced pretty quickly.

Now, the rest of the story. I have an L245DT that is, ahem, well used. I may have a chance to get a new tractor and I was thinking about the L3902 with an HST. It has a bit more power than the 245 - 37 vs 25, and well, everything would work. That's not the case currently with the 245.

We would be using the new tractor for mowing, discing, cultipacting and the like - all level, mostly field work at this point - well, that and turning a bunch of old walnut trees into firewood and lumber.

Do all y'all think the 3902 is a reasonably equivalent good choice? Please share your thoughts and weigh in, either way. Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead
Davebilt Company
Lakeport, Calif

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If your old tractor was adequate the L2502 is the current equivalent. The L3902 would be a significant upgrade but bear in mind you will add the complications of a computer controlled tractor with diesel particulate filter and all the added complications you've never dealt with before. That is why I opted for the L2501 and stayed at 25 horsepower.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A 3902 is an excellent choice. I don't personally worry about computers, I'd take the 39 hp with a computer over 25hp and no computer, especially given your chosen tasks.

You're doing a lot of ground engaging work. An MX doesn't cost much more. And they're a lot better at ground engaging work, quite a bit heavier. Just putting it out there.

If it was just mowing and general tractor duties, the L3902 would be excellent. Arguably overkill. What sort of mower - rotary cutter or flail?

Also, if you're going from an L245DT to an L3902, will you need bigger implements? Probably with an MX you would - and changing all your implements might not win a lot of favour with your financial controller....