Repeat Failures on RCK60B-23BX MMM Deck Blade / Pulley Covers (Plastic shields)

fja

Equipment
L Series, BX 2680
Jan 25, 2021
Williamsburg
Now on my third set of blade/pulley covers for this 60" mower deck -- plastic continues to come in contact with pulley, burns/melts right through the covers -- that teflon belt and pulley win every time and there are no adjustments on these covers,----stuck with Kubota's two hole mounts and "slide under" slot to secure the other side of the covers.

Referenced part number is K5381-41180

I've checked the various hold down bolts on these pulleys (internal bolts inside circumference of pulley, also those below pulley) and they're fine --- seems to be a problem with Kubota's plastic cover designs.

I've never had problems with the steel variants on my other Kubota mower decks (e.g. zero turn)........

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My RCK54 BX23 deck used to attract a bunch of stuff under those covers. It was a bear to get the pulley area cleaned out....really tight under there.

Never had them tear apart, but I'm betting it got pretty hot under there too.

After just a couple years, I took them off. I don't have young ones around and I'm the only one to run the tractor and mower.

Not trying to attract the safety police, but I feel better with them gone....YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I took mine off years ago on the 2360 I can grease clean and inspect just by looking

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
I’ve had my RCK60D-26BX deck for 5 years, never any issues with belt rub. But, as RCW said, they do tend to collect debris. May just remove them before next mowing season as others have done.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Took mine off the first year I had it. They are nothing but a pain. I hated taking them off after each mowing to clean out. BUT by far the best thing I ever did with that deck was sell it and buy a zero turn. Now the BX gets out of mowing duty and my lawn gets mowed in only an hour and a half instead if 2 1/2.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I use my leaf blower to blow everything out from under the guards every time after mowing. I've never had a problem with any debris.

fja

Equipment
L Series, BX 2680
Jan 25, 2021
Williamsburg
yeesh, at $65 Canucks,each and you've bought 3 sets ! I'd be fabbing one outta steel PDQ
I agree --my metal fab tools are very limited (own eight welders, two plasma cutters) but don't have English Wheel, stretcher, shrinker, brake, bead rollers, etc. Probably a good idea owning these but for me my use wo
yeesh, at $65 Canucks,each and you've bought 3 sets ! I'd be fabbing one outta steel PDQ
You know that's a great idea -- I was thinking about carving out a 20x20 metal fab area in one of my barns and just checked on prices for E-Wheels, stretcher/shrinkers, bead roller, brakes etc -- for what the rip off Kubota folks are charging (and Deere, CAT) you can start fab'ing a lot of this stuff for 1/5th the price - would probably pay for the equipment in a couple of years.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked at a picture of the cover, easy to make a 'serviceable' unit from a sheet of steel and a length of flat bar, NO fancy tools needed, just a welder.
As you have a plastic one.....
cut off the 'side ' from the 'top'
use both as template and cutout new top and side, making side say 1/2" taller
bend side to conform to top...
drill 3 mounting clarance holes,say 3/8 if 5/16 bolts..
weld 3 nuts inside the flat bar 'side'
I've done similar covers in the past. Yes , you'l have to 'tweak' the design BUT a LOT cheaper and you only have to make ONE set, for life !!!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My RCK54 BX23 deck used to attract a bunch of stuff under those covers. It was a bear to get the pulley area cleaned out....really tight under there.

Never had them tear apart, but I'm betting it got pretty hot under there too.

After just a couple years, I took them off. I don't have young ones around and I'm the only one to run the tractor and mower.

Not trying to attract the safety police, but I feel better with them gone....YMMV.
I have the same MMM as you do. I never thought about taking those covers off but you got me thinking about it now. It may save me from having to buy another belt before it's time is up. I have been using an air compressor to blow debris out from under the covers. That is a pain for sure.

Reactions: 1 user