Removing the PTO shield used to be a PITA

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
Land Pride uses several different types of safety shields for their PTO shafts. One model has 3 small holes around the bell-shaped collar that need to be pushed in order to release the locking tabs underneath. On my new rotary cutter PTO, each tab would re-engage as I moved to the next one. The only solution was to push all three tabs at once which is physically impossible.

After much frustration and cussing, the solution was to insert a 3/8' diameter X 1/2" long set screw (red circle) in each hole and screw it down until almost flush with the outside of the collar. This presses on each locking tab (green circle) at the same time making it possible to slide the collar back on the shaft cover.
IMG_3493.jpg

To reassemble the collar and tube, you'll need to back the set screw out until it is flush on the underside so it won't depress the locking tab.

I left the set screws in the collar as they fit tight enough to not back out while using the implement.

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Great solution! Take it to the next level of convenience by removing and leaving the shield off completely! You're smart enough to stay away from it right?

Reactions: 1 users

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
Great solution! Take it to the next level of convenience by removing and leaving the shield off completely! You're smart enough to stay away from it right?
I thought about that but I had to find a way to get it off in the first place. Didn't want to tear it up in doing so in case I wanted to use it later.

Reactions: 1 user

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The front shield on our LP RC is okay. The real one is a huge beast that I plan to cut off with my rotary drill cutter in order to get to the bolt that breaks.

My LP came with a push button PTO. Requested one from JD for the last Frontier RC I had and had one on the MacKissic and now on the WM WC46. Collars are ergonomically incorrect.

Reactions: 1 user