Removing T-Posts - almost fell over

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Yep - we learn through failure ... thankfully - my failures so far with the tractor have not resulted in loss or injury ...

Learned yet again today ... I was removing some t-posts (used to secure newly planted trees) from trees that have matured and no longer need them ...

I have a hook on my bucket and was lifting a t-post out of the ground (via a strap) when ... as I lifted the bucket to pull the t-post ... my front right tire seemed to sink into the ground and .. instantly my left rear tire left the ground and the tractor began to dangerously tilt ... yikes.

Glad I have the ballast in the tires ... nope, no rear attachments, just the quick hitch ...

I'm normally very much aware of carrying heavy loads ... go slow, carry it low, etc. Didn't really think a t-post could tip me over ... now I know.

Reactions: 1 user

Pony Doc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
SSV75 Kioti LK3054 Oliver 1250
Dec 15, 2020
Central Colorado
I've had that experience too many times with various tractors and appropriate rear weighting. I use a HiLift jack, it only takes 2-3 minutes. The tractor hauls the posts and jack. Much safer and very little effort.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If you want to make them real easy to pull out..... remove a little dirt around the pole, add some water, wiggle the pole to let the water down alongside the pole turning the soil alongside to mud.....pull pole.

Works great for pulling ground rods as well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Add a hook, or better yet, a clevis to the Middle of your bucket. (In the pic below, this was existing when I bought my tractor…. I later added hooks in front of each cylinder. Pulling/lifting from the center clevis will not “tip” the tractor.
IMG_1644.png
IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_1642.jpeg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
another 'option', use the 3PH hydraulics. depending on the tractor, 3PH probably lifts more than the loader can

Reactions: 2 users

tsp159

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 8, 2023
Fort Bend Texas
another 'option', use the 3PH hydraulics. depending on the tractor, 3PH probably lifts more than the loader can
Plus the added benefit of leverage. The FEL plus the engine being a long way from the rear axle centerline means the 3PH has a very short radius to try and apply torque. Doubtful you'd get enough lift to roll the whole tractor backwards that way!

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
As well as using the 3pt, curling the bucket instead of pull straight up will help.
I made a device for the 3 point that I lower over the post, then as pulling up it locks into the post, and out it comes without ever getting off the tractor.
Pulled several posts that have been in caliche for years taught me a lot about pulling posts.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Rear ballast.

Pull from center of bucket.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Yep - we learn through failure ... thankfully - my failures so far with the tractor have not resulted in loss or injury ...

Learned yet again today ... I was removing some t-posts (used to secure newly planted trees) from trees that have matured and no longer need them ...

I have a hook on my bucket and was lifting a t-post out of the ground (via a strap) when ... as I lifted the bucket to pull the t-post ... my front right tire seemed to sink into the ground and .. instantly my left rear tire left the ground and the tractor began to dangerously tilt ... yikes.

Glad I have the ballast in the tires ... nope, no rear attachments, just the quick hitch ...

I'm normally very much aware of carrying heavy loads ... go slow, carry it low, etc. Didn't really think a t-post could tip me over ... now I know.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you would be surprised how much of an angle you would need to get it for it to roll on you.
I've had my L at a 45 degree angle with the rear tire off the ground and it didn't roll.
It's also a matter of speed and momentum of the action too.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I once did the same type mistake. When I first purchased my tractor it came with a bunch of stuff, including an old 3 row bottom plow. Sold it and was moving it for the guy to his truck. Long story short I felt parts of the body slamming shut.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
First, I doubt you almost fell over. Your rear tire lifted off the ground.

Second, where was the hook you used? If on one end of the bucket no surprise.

Third, it is good you are aware of dangers related to tipping a tractor on its side. Even when not moving.

Forth, nothing beats a reminder now and then…;)

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I think you would be surprised how much of an angle you would need to get it for it to roll on you.
I've had my L at a 45 degree angle with the rear tire off the ground and it didn't roll.
It's also a matter of speed and momentum of the action too.
45 degrees? Like, from one side to the other?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hell we use to use an old truck wheel, chain over the top and chain to the bottom of the post and then to the draw bar, and drive forward 9 out of 10 time they will pull streight up and you can use them again

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I always have ballast on even with loaded tires. Seems like good insurance.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I pull T posts with the loader. Used to pull them with 3 point before we had a loader. Use the 3 point now only if necessary and that’s very rare. Loader has enough stroke to pull the post all the way out. 3 point doesn’t unless the post is set pretty shallow. With the loader you can leave enough slack in the chain to not get the post in a bind coming straight out of the ground while being pulled by a drawbar or loader that’s moving in an arc so there’s less chance of it bending. 3 point is quite a bit slower, more likely to bend the post, and there’s no more danger pulling a T post with a loader than there is picking up an object of unknown weight such as a log, large rock, etc. If the loader won’t pull it immediately, a little gentle nudging back and forth with the tractor will almost always loosen it enough to get it moving. I generally prefer to use a T post puller plate chained to the fork rack as that gets the pull point as near the tractor as possible to maximize available force.

I didn’t really take the OP’s post as an issue of how to best pull a T post but more of a good reminder that even tasks that might seem to have very little danger still require a little thought about where the risk points are in the process and require a reasonable level of concentration from the operator to be safe.

In that regard, his example was a good one. How much trouble could you really get in just pulling a little T post with a loader? Not much unless the T post doesn’t move, in which case the loader isn’t picking up a 8lb post, it’s applying the maximum lifting force it’s capable of to both the post and tractor. With a stuck post you need as much ballast on the back as you need for a heaped bucket of wet sand. That and recognition of the danger point on the process has some impact on operator behavior. Unless the terrain by itself is dangerous, the only real “danger” point is when the chain is tight but the post hasn’t moved. That’s the point where you lift slowly and really focus because if something is going to get weird, this is when it’s happening. Lifting slowly, if a rear wheel lifts just stop lifting and set it back down. If the chain slips, just rehook it. Once the post starts moving, go ahead and rip it out. Slowing down a little at that one point in the process where the maximum risk for some issue exists costs maybe 5 seconds extra at most.

So thanks for the reminder to put a little thought into whatever you’re doing and stay reasonably vigilant while doing it.

Reactions: 1 users