Regen and def on large vs small kubotas

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Soo.... the option with new tractors these days is..... abuse it and run the life out of it in order to keep the exhaust pipe clean and the emissions controls from shutting you down.... or pay the dealer to get it out of limp-mode because the tasks you do with it did not require working the machinery to death...Both solutions burning more fossil-fuel than what otherwise would be necessary to accomplish the job...?? It’s a sad thing to behold, when whats really needed is better (more efficient, more fuel-thrifty and less abusive) emissions-design.
Same guys who designed the new "spill proof" gas cans came up with the above regs. I think those cans spill more fuel than was ever spilled before, and for four times the hassles

I haven’t been on this forum nearly as long as some, but this too often repeated fantasy of a sufficient quantity of unicorn “under utilized” pre emissions units to meet the demand for tractors (or any other equipment) is so ridiculous it gets really old reading it yet again. Yeah, maybe you can find one once in a while and good option for some. To think everyone who needs a tractor can get an “under utilized” pre emissions unit and make up for lack of features with more HP is laughable to the point of being insulting.
I didn't see him say there were a lot of them. Just that it might be worth shopping around for one. Again, that's what made me pull the trigger on a tractor that probably cost double what I could sell both of my older tractors for

I suspect most tractor owners are same as me in that they bought what they needed to accomplish some task or list of tasks, not some toy to impress their friends or society in general. By the way, we already had two very basic tractors that weren’t capable of doing everything we needed, but admittedly the weren’t larger so maybe if we had a 75hp 2WD without a loader, somehow that extra HP would make up for no loader and the 4WD that works much better than 2WD on steep slopes and swampy creek bottoms (that’s not a question, that’s a fact with our topography and soil.)
I didn't think I needed the hassle and expense of 4WD. I have been converted. Given the claimed 70+ pto hp of my JD probably wasn't all there after 50+ years, but I am able to run the same snowblower (at a slower ground speed) with the Kubota due to the HST. I was always right on the edge of whether I needed to put the chains on the JD or not. The 4 wheel assist on the Kubota is making it look as if I won't need a set for that.

So far as “abusing” the engine with excessive rpm, apparently in your mind every manufacturer who puts a Tier 4 diesel (or is it just Kubota Tier 4’s?) on a generator or pump and runs it at constant high rpm it’s whole life is “abusing” the engine. OK then.
I know very little about diesel tractors, but have been around diesel generators. In our cold cliimate you gotta run them WFO. Low rpms kill them (Cold stacking? Wet stacking? I forget the term). I'm assuming (until you guys tell me different) that the same is true for my "new" tractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
NCL4701,.... I understand and appreciate your comments. (BTDT)
I don’t expect every purchaser will find a diamond-in-the-rough in the next-over neighborhood... but when I started looking to replace my old Ford 9-N with something that could do more than mow 20 acres and have to change implements every time I wanted to do something like lift/move steel beams, brush, or other because it had no FEL... I FIRST looked at compacts, Mx’s and L’s.... which were always marketed on a credit or delayed-payment system but were delivered on a cheap 18’trailer with several cheap implements.... but the “booby-traps” were strict and expensive warranty/service schedules one has to keep under penalty of loss of warranty and Emissions Controls/Electronics that are troublesome.
THEN I happened to check local ads and was surprised to find not ONE “unicorn”.... but FIVE sitting in my own county or the one next to us. Four of them were M’s and one was an L and all of them were less than 1K hours. Two of them were just accomplished 1K-hr service visits to their dealers.
ALL of them were less than 2/3rds the cost of the less-capable whistles/bells toys on cheap trailers. Of course, they are “cash” ...but that can be easily handled by credit-worthy folks at their banks or S&Ls. (And if the buyer isn’t credit-worthy the “specials” are not going to work for them either.)

I don’t mean to be ”Flip-pant” .... (I don’t mean to “gloat” with my good fortune at finding and having a choice of Pearls from which to choose isn’t universally-available)....and I realize that brand-new is exciting... but patience and homework can pay-off in the long run financially as well as rewarding in the final result.

Kind regards to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I take meticulous care of both of mine. The care and feeding of the engines and drive trains are paramount with me. Regular fluid changes always, filters too and only Kubota filters. I don't follow recommended service intervals except for greasing. Everything else is much sooner and with more frequency. Lubricants are cheap. I sure don't want a computerized, emissions compliant units. Bad enough dealing with my laptop and my drones.

The value of pre emissions units keep going up, not down and they are getting harder to buy as well.
When you fly to a lager city in Asia you see a blue cloud hanging over the city from a 100 miles out. This is from the thousands of worn out 2 cycle motorcycles. What our tractors cause in pollution is miniscule in comparison.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
NCL4701,.... I understand and appreciate your comments. (BTDT)
I don’t expect every purchaser will find a diamond-in-the-rough in the next-over neighborhood... but when I started looking to replace my old Ford 9-N with something that could do more than mow 20 acres and have to change implements every time I wanted to do something like lift/move steel beams, brush, or other because it had no FEL... I FIRST looked at compacts, Mx’s and L’s.... which were always marketed on a credit or delayed-payment system but were delivered on a cheap 18’trailer with several cheap implements.... but the “booby-traps” were strict and expensive warranty/service schedules one has to keep under penalty of loss of warranty and Emissions Controls/Electronics that are troublesome.
THEN I happened to check local ads and was surprised to find not ONE “unicorn”.... but FIVE sitting in my own county or the one next to us. Four of them were M’s and one was an L and all of them were less than 1K hours. Two of them were just accomplished 1K-hr service visits to their dealers.
ALL of them were less than 2/3rds the cost of the less-capable whistles/bells toys on cheap trailers. Of course, they are “cash” ...but that can be easily handled by credit-worthy folks at their banks or S&Ls. (And if the buyer isn’t credit-worthy the “specials” are not going to work for them either.)

I don’t mean to be ”Flip-pant” .... (I don’t mean to “gloat” with my good fortune at finding and having a choice of Pearls from which to choose isn’t universally-available)....and I realize that brand-new is exciting... but patience and homework can pay-off in the long run financially as well as rewarding in the final result.

Kind regards to all.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I would agree with your assessment as to with most vehicles, so called toys like snowmachines and especially outboard motors. The tractor world seems to be quite different as they do not seem to depreciate like cars and trucks for example. If you can find a low hour tractor that is great, but looking all over North America I have not been able to do so. Even one with a few hundred hours may have been run by a mechanically challenge person and many people are just that. Most reasonably priced ones I have found have a few thousand hours. You are very fortunate to live in an area that must have a lot of tractors. Many of us have to deal with shipping that greatly adds to the cost and makes buying a new one more sttractive.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
YOu guys up “Nawth” in AK have a unique issue as regards shipping, and a lot of other things we in the lower-48 don’t have to put up with.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
YOu guys up “Nawth” in AK have a unique issue as regards shipping, and a lot of other things we in the lower-48 don’t have to put up with.
True, we do have the worlds best air and most exhilarating climate though. Oh, well, when the going gets
tough, the tough get going as the saying goes. Seen it played out many times.