Refurbished Workmate

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
A few years ago, I inherited a Black & Decker Workmate from my father-in-law. I guess I would never just go out and buy one of these things, but the more I used it, the more I enjoyed its convenience, particularly for planing the edges of boards or router work. Before, I had been using C-clamps, which are inconvenient. I also use it to support my benchtop planer when I'm using it. I'll typically do such work outside, at the edge of the driveway, where I don't have to bother with cleaning up the shavings.

The plywood top of the thing was fairly shabby when I got it, and then it got left out in the rain. Strangely, B&D did not use marine grade plywood for the top:
1667140544526.jpeg

I thought about what would be a cheap, effective way to make it weatherproof, as it's kind of in the way in my small garage. [I need a shed!] Settled on HDPE, which nearby Moses B. Glick's industrial surplus yard stocks in all thicknesses (1/8" to 2") and sizes. Got a 2'x 4' piece of 3/4" thick stock for $20, and went to work on it. Here's the end product:
1667140589923.jpeg

While I was at it, I increased the surface area of the top by about 1/3. Also got some more holding pegs (the red ones) on eBay ($15). I used plastic model cement and countersunk 1-1/4" drywall screws to add the strips on the bottom side which doubles the top's thickness at the clamping edge, in the original configuration.

Back in business!

Thick sheets of HDPE can be a challenge to work with when machining, if there is a lot of heat generated. The heat melts the plastic, which then wants to seize the cutting tool. Router and power edge planer - not a problem. Spade drill bit, problem. Table saw, BIG problem. Just takes some care to clear the material removed at the cut as it tends to congeal and cause binding, I was able to cut 6-8 inches at a time, then stopping to clear the saw kerf and then repeating.

Next, I'm going to use this HDPE material to make a couple of new bird feeders. Weatherproof, and disinfectable. Drainage will need to be carefully planned, as rain will soak into a wood feeder and not puddle. Not so with plastic. Stay tuned!

-Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Nice, I have two of them. one was my Dad's, the other I picked up at Yard sale for like $10 buck. One I mounted my miter saw on and other is for clamping and holding.
I'd love to get my hands on some of the HDPE, great stuff to work with.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
A few years ago, I inherited a Black & Decker Workmate from my father-in-law. I guess I would never just go out and buy one of these things, but the more I used it, the more I enjoyed its convenience, particularly for planing the edges of boards or router work. Before, I had been using C-clamps, which are inconvenient. I also use it to support my benchtop planer when I'm using it. I'll typically do such work outside, at the edge of the driveway, where I don't have to bother with cleaning up the shavings.

The plywood top of the thing was fairly shabby when I got it, and then it got left out in the rain. Strangely, B&D did not use marine grade plywood for the top:
View attachment 89667

I thought about what would be a cheap, effective way to make it weatherproof, as it's kind of in the way in my small garage. [I need a shed!] Settled on HDPE, which nearby Moses B. Glick's industrial surplus yard stocks in all thicknesses (1/8" to 2") and sizes. Got a 2'x 4' piece of 3/4" thick stock for $20, and went to work on it. Here's the end product:
View attachment 89668
While I was at it, I increased the surface area of the top by about 1/3. Also got some more holding pegs (the red ones) on eBay ($15). I used plastic model cement and countersunk 1-1/4" drywall screws to add the strips on the bottom side which doubles the top's thickness at the clamping edge, in the original configuration.

Back in business!

Thick sheets of HDPE can be a challenge to work with when machining, if there is a lot of heat generated. The heat melts the plastic, which then wants to seize the cutting tool. Router and power edge planer - not a problem. Spade drill bit, problem. Table saw, BIG problem. Just takes some care to clear the material removed at the cut as it tends to congeal and cause binding, I was able to cut 6-8 inches at a time, then stopping to clear the saw kerf and then repeating.

Next, I'm going to use this HDPE material to make a couple of new bird feeders. Weatherproof, and disinfectable. Drainage will need to be carefully planned, as rain will soak into a wood feeder and not puddle. Not so with plastic. Stay tuned!

-Paul
I've got one of those old cast-aluminum-frame Workmates too - they haven't been made that well for decades! It was a gift from my grandfather bless his soul over 30 years ago. The original table is super-fine laminate fir plywood that is still holding out.

I've had a newer workmate that already fell apart, made with formed steel sheet metal frame not cast Al. They "evolved" to become rather crappy and throwaway, unfortunately, like many things.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
That brought back some great memories. I had one for about 25 years of hard use and it finally had a couple of issues that caused me to finally scrap it.