Recommendations needed for----preowned small Kubota tractor or lawn mower

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I need your thoughts on the BX or similar, series of tractors, as well as the Kubota diesel lawn mowers.
**Probably something 2010 - 2019 year model range
**Units with only a mower deck
** History of dependability
**Reasonable/small step in height (similar to the BX1870)

Not required
**FEL
**Zero Turn Mowers

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
How many ACRES of lawn ,do you have to mow ?
if less than 5, buy a gas rider. Diesels are $$$ as 'lawnmowers' for small lots.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Im gonna say opposite of my buddy Jay..... I respect his opinion. But I will never go back to cutting with gas.

A diesel is more $$$ ... true. Cost more to fix too.

Jay asked size of area to be cut - very important question.

I have 2 B7100s that cut less than 1 acre at two different locations...... I have cut all of that with lawn mowers and even a 5' rotary mower on a ford 8n. The cutting of a 5 foot triple blade deck mower with 4 wheel drive and 3 point on the rear out weighs any gas mower.

I have a hillside that is about 28 degrees.... i flipped a rider going up it and slid down said hill with a ford 8n.......

my b7100 eats that hill up and down......... never once do i touch a brake peddle.... never once do I need to change the rpm setting.

ANY BX with 60" or 54" mmm will do you job well........... Unless the FEL is really neeever needed..... I get that

.... but damn it is nice to have (maybe not for cutting grass!!)

You will not cut super fast - like a zero turn - but most zero turns cut so fast you need your organs checked to see if they have moved after you finish cutting.

You can find a BX with MMM for something like 4-5K ....FEL will run more but.........

Dont let age fool you - nor hours, unless way up there......... 2500+........... A 30 year old B7100 or 20 year old BX will cut circles around a "riding lawn mower"

Just my two cents........ with inflation may be worthless!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I think if you're going to buy a BX just to use it as a lawnmower, its a waste of money. Just MHO, YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
How many ACRES of lawn ,do you have to mow ?
if less than 5, buy a gas rider. Diesels are $$$ as 'lawnmowers' for small lots.
Actual use for this request
**Spraying fence rows (mount a carry -all to accomodate 15 gal tank/spray set up)
**Use the carry-all for garden tools for chores around the property
**General transportation around the property
**Mowing----only used as a back-up for existing zero turn mower

I considered something like a side by side, however, it will not serve my purpose of the spraying aspect (driving left handed, spraying right handed).

Deuce

Equipment
2016 B2650, 1977 B7100
Aug 8, 2015
New Jersey
Bx is a great sub compact. But you're limiting yourself / under utilizing the machine if you don't get a front end loader and leave it as a mower / carryall. You'll either find that with a fel you can accomplish more projects around the house, or at the very least you'll be working your back less.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I've looked at prices of the good diesel lawn and garden tractors and personally I would buy the small BX before I bought one of those. The prices are so close, the BX will mow just as well, and it has a LOT more capabilities to do other stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
if only mowing, get something light like a garden tractor with the biggest deck it’ll take. Something with a diesel engine and hydrostatic would be the best. I mow with a 2601 and it’s certainly not optimum, IMO too heavy for regular mowing duty, but my property kinda demands it. Otherwise I’d use a ZT.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a 60L sprayer (I think that's about 15 gallons). I built a small steel frame to hold the sprayer, and put it directly on the 3ph. I wired a switch to the dash to turn it on and off, and a waterproof socket on the rear to easily attach it.

The sprayer was cheap - I think around $100USD. It came with a small boom as well as a wand. It's excellent. Main issue is that the wand isn't long enough to easily use without getting out of the seat.

The fab of the 3ph frame was really easy - it's basically two L shaped brackets, that sit under and tractor side. A section of pipe sized to go into the 3ph balls, welded across the two Ls (under them, so my dodgy welding isn't put under too much load). Then a ratchet strap from the end of one L, up over the tank, around the other end of the L, across the the other side, then down to the end of the second L. Tightens it all up and holds the tank in. Then I tied the tops of the two Ls together, and build a small box that the top link pokes through, and just put the pin in the other side of the box. It's all very light and easy to move around and put away. Previously I was putting the sprayer onto the 3ph forks and it was a massive pain to tie it down and set it all up. This way, it all just works easily every time. Worth considering for you.

Think hard about an FEL. Sounds like you have enough land that you'd use one. They become your mechanised wheelbarrow, they lift everything you used to lift by hand, they move mulch and dirt, and with a set of forks they unload everything from everywhere. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I didn't get an FEL on my tractor, I never use it." I've heard plenty of people say "I wish I'd got one sooner, this is awesome". But I think I see in your signature you already have an L3800, so you already have an FEL on that?

A carry all is good, a small trailer better. I have both (the carry all is just a pallet that I put low sides on, the small trailer doubles as a large wheel barrow. It looks a bit stupid on my B2601, but it was right-sized for me BX. And it only cost $100. Of course, a FEL is also a carry all for tools etc. And firewood. Nothing better than loading your FEL at ground level, taking the firewood where you want it, and lifting to waist height to unload.....no more lifting for me. If you don't stack tidily, then even better, you can just dump the FEL into the wood pile.

A BX is OK for general transportation, but they only transport one person safely (and even unsafely, it's uncomfortable with two). And they're slow. How big is your property? The B2601 is waaaaay faster. I only go 1/2 km down the road to mow the community land, but I really notice the difference in speed.

If you're only backup mowing, and you really don't want/need an FEL, actually a side by side would do a lot of the stuff you describe better. They're closer to the ground and more comfortable for spraying, faster and better for transportation of 2-3 people, better for carrying tools and junk around. And they usually have a cab of some sort to get out of the sun and rain. They don't need a carryall because they have a tray.

Other uses to justify a tractor (but you already have a tractor - an L3800?):
- FEL of course
- PTO mounted chipper
- snow moving
- boats, trailers, other things that need to be pulled

Last edited:

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I have a 60L sprayer (I think that's about 15 gallons). I built a small steel frame to hold the sprayer, and put it directly on the 3ph. I wired a switch to the dash to turn it on and off, and a waterproof socket on the rear to easily attach it.

The sprayer was cheap - I think around $100USD. It came with a small boom as well as a wand. It's excellent. Main issue is that the wand isn't long enough to easily use without getting out of the seat.

The fab of the 3ph frame was really easy - it's basically two L shaped brackets, that sit under and tractor side. A section of pipe sized to go into the 3ph balls, welded across the two Ls (under them, so my dodgy welding isn't put under too much load). Then a ratchet strap from the end of one L, up over the tank, around the other end of the L, across the the other side, then down to the end of the second L. Tightens it all up and holds the tank in. Then I tied the tops of the two Ls together, and build a small box that the top link pokes through, and just put the pin in the other side of the box. It's all very light and easy to move around and put away. Previously I was putting the sprayer onto the 3ph forks and it was a massive pain to tie it down and set it all up. This way, it all just works easily every time. Worth considering for you.

Think hard about an FEL. Sounds like you have enough land that you'd use one. They become your mechanised wheelbarrow, they lift everything you used to lift by hand, they move mulch and dirt, and with a set of forks they unload everything from everywhere. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I didn't get an FEL on my tractor, I never use it." I've heard plenty of people say "I wish I'd got one sooner, this is awesome". But I think I see in your signature you already have an L3800, so you already have an FEL on that?

A carry all is good, a small trailer better. I have both (the carry all is just a pallet that I put low sides on, the small trailer doubles as a large wheel barrow. It looks a bit stupid on my B2601, but it was right-sized for me BX. And it only cost $100. Of course, a FEL is also a carry all for tools etc. And firewood. Nothing better than loading your FEL at ground level, taking the firewood where you want it, and lifting to waist height to unload.....no more lifting for me. If you don't stack tidily, then even better, you can just dump the FEL into the wood pile.

A BX is OK for general transportation, but they only transport one person safely (and even unsafely, it's uncomfortable with two). And they're slow. How big is your property? The B2601 is waaaaay faster. I only go 1/2 km down the road to mow the community land, but I really notice the difference in speed.

If you're only backup mowing, and you really don't want/need an FEL, actually a side by side would do a lot of the stuff you describe better. They're closer to the ground and more comfortable for spraying, faster and better for transportation of 2-3 people, better for carrying tools and junk around. And they usually have a cab of some sort to get out of the sun and rain. They don't need a carryall because they have a tray.

Other uses to justify a tractor (but you already have a tractor - an L3800?):
- FEL of course
- PTO mounted chipper
- snow moving
- boats, trailers, other things that need to be pulled
Thanks for the insight on the sprayer set up and the other issues to consider.....greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have the L3800 with FEL, box blade, finish mower, brush hog mower, gopher plow, etc.

Also have a Scag zero turn for closer mowing (around trees and obstacles).

I'm currently using a John Deere X300 mower for my spraying and run-about.......but it is really slow, when traveling from one part of the property to another.......not great on inclines.....and no place to bring along shovels, rakes, etc when needed.
This is what brought the thought of something like a small Kubota tractor (spraying and carryall basket)......and seems like I remember a couple of models or so, that had real problems that need to be avoided, and I don't remember which models those were. Any thoughts on which models those were, would be helpful.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
ahha , so not 'just' a mower...... a multipurpose tractor ! Now, it makes more sense to buy a BX !!! If you don't buy a loader( with SSQA) then get a fron bumper and grille guard !!!! I'm betting the hood ain't cheap to replace. If you use a carryall for sprayer, you'll need weight upfront... I made a carryall for my D-14 years ago using forklift forks, makes it EASY to move/haul 'stuff' around mounted on skids so no fussin and cussin with a PH !

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm currently using a John Deere X300 mower for my spraying and run-about.......but it is really slow, when traveling from one part of the property to another
Drive the BX before you decide. The BX is quite slow, although probably faster than the X300. The B2601 or B2301 are much faster, and really not much more expensive. The mowing is basically identical, and both of them were able to drive on hillsides that my pucker wasn't happy with. I also assume you have a largish property, and the BX is quite limited on ground clearance. If you're spraying fencelines in pasture you might want more ground clearance. Also, the mower deck is way easier to remove on the B than the BX - again, if you're driving in pasture you may want to take it off.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Drive the BX before you decide. The BX is quite slow, although probably faster than the X300. The B2601 or B2301 are much faster, and really not much more expensive. The mowing is basically identical, and both of them were able to drive on hillsides that my pucker wasn't happy with. I also assume you have a largish property, and the BX is quite limited on ground clearance. If you're spraying fencelines in pasture you might want more ground clearance. Also, the mower deck is way easier to remove on the B than the BX - again, if you're driving in pasture you may want to take it off.
Thanks, great information and insight!!

artfull dodger

Equipment
Cub Cadet 782D Kubota D600 powered, Cub Cadet 1512D Kubota D600 powered
Aug 11, 2015
Kokomo, IN
I am in the OP's same position, want something just a hair bigger, diesel but not as big as current BX or even B7100. Our yard is maybe 1/2 acre at the most and the 2 others I cut for extra $$ are about the same. So my tiny T1600 does the job well. But the deck shell is shot and we all know that model had issues with the HST failing. Older G series are damn near as much as B series. One of the tiny B6000's would be max size wise but setting one of those up with a 48" or smaller mower deck is about as impossible as finding the 3pt hitch for a G series. I will not go back to a gas mower, not gonna happen, I would stuff the T1600's diesel into an older GT with a blown gas engine first. Most all older G and B series locally are beat to death, so even finding something nice is becoming very difficult. Here is my little T series, still looking good despite its age! Mike

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
So I guess an F is out of the question? That'd be an awesome mower. Maybe you need some more clients so you can justify it?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I am in the OP's same position, want something just a hair bigger, diesel but not as big as current BX or even B7100. Our yard is maybe 1/2 acre at the most and the 2 others I cut for extra $$ are about the same. So my tiny T1600 does the job well. But the deck shell is shot and we all know that model had issues with the HST failing. Older G series are damn near as much as B series. One of the tiny B6000's would be max size wise but setting one of those up with a 48" or smaller mower deck is about as impossible as finding the 3pt hitch for a G series. I will not go back to a gas mower, not gonna happen, I would stuff the T1600's diesel into an older GT with a blown gas engine first. Most all older G and B series locally are beat to death, so even finding something nice is becoming very difficult. Here is my little T series, still looking good despite its age! Mike
love the hubcaps! That machine looks like it’s been well taken care of. You could probably get a new deck and have A shop make the brackets fit your machine.

artfull dodger

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Kokomo, IN
Most of the decks issue is the lack of support for the non chute side rear caster wheel mount. It flexes the whole deck as it rides the ground. I am going to get a piece of angle iron and weld it to the top of the caster wheel mount with it laid flat across the top of the chute portion of the deck, then weld that all in place with long bead down each side. The chute side doesnt flex like the other side does. I just put new spindle bearings in it. Yes, she is in nice shape, could use the seat being redone by the local seat shop.

artfull dodger

Equipment
Aug 11, 2015
Kokomo, IN
Here are a couple more pics of my little bota.

The previous owner owned a trucking company and repair business. The little bota started to loose power and have lots of blowby, so he had the shop diesel techs fully rebuild the little diesel. She has no blowby and plenty of power. It barely even changes its sound when I engage the PTO. Its a shame this little bota cannot do more than mow and move snow(if I ever find one of the rare attachments for it).

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Nice unit!!!

I have found a GR2120 that will soon be for sale.....reported to be a "year old" (2019/2020??) with 148 hours.

Seems as if some of the earlier modes had issues/problems.

Anyone with experience or thoughts on dependability of the 2019/2020?

Any thoughts as to value considering the hours?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm 148 hours of grass cutting in 1-2 years ?? That seems like a LOT of grass in a short time.
Value ? I had a quick look and saw a 2015 ,asking $5700 Canucks. Dang, that's a lot of money for a 'used riding mower'. I'm still stuck in the 'don't need a diesel to cut an acre of grass' mindset. I can get a gas powered equal ( 54" deck) for $2K, any day of the week, so I don't see the true need to buy a diesel. My 20 year old riding snowblower( Craftsman/Berco) stored outside,tarped, started up fine after 3 days of 5-10*F cold,once warmed blew a LOT of snow.
Still wondering about the 148hrs of grass cutting in a year ......location ??