Recommend a kubota product for my use case

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Poster lives in the north. What usually knocks power out more in the north than a blizzard or a heavy wet branch and power line busting snowstorm. Pretty hard to run the generator when the tractor is busy removing all the snow.
I live in New Hampshire at 1250 feet elevation and I make it work. Of course we don’t have our lives end if we have to not have power for an hour or two to use the tractor to move snow. People are so wrapped up nowadays that they need power ever second of the day that they can’t live without power and internet for a few hours. Unhooking and hooking up my generator takes about 2 minutes each way and I only have to plow enough to get a vehicle in and out for emergency or work, not completely clean up if I need the tractor for the generator. Full cleanup can wait until later.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
As others already stated, scut like bx or 1025r will do what you want. You could still run a smaller generator with it and while it will move a 7500 lb trailer on flat ground, I wouldn’t recommend it.

With only 1 acre, I don’t think you need anything bigger. Think the sub compact market is for people like you. That said, realize the light weight tractor wont be all that capable for ground engagement/digging (tiny backhoe could help here)…it will do a lot still though.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
As others already stated, scut like bx or 1025r will do what you want. You could still run a smaller generator with it and while it will move a 7500 lb trailer on flat ground, I wouldn’t recommend it.

With only 1 acre, I don’t think you need anything bigger. Think the sub compact market is for people like you. That said, realize the light weight tractor wont be all that capable for ground engagement/digging (tiny backhoe could help here)…it will do a lot still though.
The only downside to the BX is the lifting weight of the bucket, and the bucket's reach to dump into a truck. That is the only shortcoming that I have ever had with the BX22 in the 17+ years that I owned it.
As for using the tractor for power outages, I can remember not having a stand-alone generator for 2 back to back snowstorms. We were without power for 10 days, and when it came back on, it only lasted 3 days before we had another power outage for 7 days. I have since installed a 4 cylinder diesel backup generator that goes on automatically and shuts down when the power comes back on. We have had many 2 or 3 days events, but nothing like that one year.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I love my little BX. My duties over the 8+ years have been much like yours.

While you have 1 acre, I have 6+. But firewood weighs the same at either place....snow still needs moving....grass needs cutting.

That said, if I were to buy another Kubota tomorrow, 98% sure it would be a B2601. It would not be another BX.

Reactions: 1 users

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
I believe all the Kubota's have a 3 range hydrostatic transmission (Low, Medium, and High). The JD 1025r only has 2 range (Low & High). That alone, would make me lean towards the Kubota. The JD loaders don't appear to operate as smoothly as the Kubota's either when doing lifting and curling or lowering and curling functions. From a reliability standpoint, I think either company makes great equipment. Local dealer support should also play into this decision IMO.

Reactions: 1 user