Rebuiding Cab

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I am finally getting to work on my B8200. There is a lot more than the cab to be done on this tractor, like a hydro leak where the hydrostat unit was cracked and fixed ,, kindof fixed. I'm hoping jb weld will do the trick. It also needs all kinds of cosmetic work. But!!!! I know how long it takes me to do things and I am not going another winter with no cab, Any way here is a few pics of what I have done so far. I reduced the length by 3 inches and lowered the wind shield 3 inches and am making the cab 10 inches wider.

Attachments

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Nice job. You are real handy man.
I'm building cabin on my B7510 from scratch with 7/8" metal square tube.
I've never learn about the welding, but I'm still doing it... ;)
I'm almost done but still paint it and install all the lights too.
I've used 3/16" plexi-glass. I'm taking a lots of pictures. so when I'm done
I'll post it here.
Oh, Kubota dealer wants almost $180/tx for 1 gallon of Kubota paint.
I just got "Kubota Orange Rust paint" for $38 inculde tax...... ;)
and when I'm done this cabin, my snow blade goes onto bucket.
but I have to take that blade to welding shop to modifiy.

See ya.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Couple more. Yes I now know it would have been easier to build it from scratch:eek:
Dusty my curiosity is killing me are you welding that mild steel angle to a cast steel axle housing? What electrode are you using.... this is killing me I have to know Mr "T". :)

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Ob1. I would like to say yes just to be a smartass. But no there is a bracket that bolts to the back and sides of the axle. It had the centering chains for the tph and a really poor example of a rops attached to it. You wouldn't catch me welding cast steel. bin there done that. WOW just the thoughts of welding to that axle gives me the willies. Boy would that be expensive.:D

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
OK two things....:mad: First you said you weren't very good at doing things and second is your welding isn't any good. Wrong my friend!

Dusty it looks great! a real great job for sure! But why the cab...:confused: to keep the sun of you, or do you all get snow? being down under Canada I thought we get all your snow...;)

It really looks good and hey I know all about the time thing but when it is done its worth it. Jerry:D

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Ob1. I would like to say yes just to be a smartass. But no there is a bracket that bolts to the back and sides of the axle. It had the centering chains for the tph and a really poor example of a rops attached to it. You wouldn't catch me welding cast steel. bin there done that. WOW just the thoughts of welding to that axle gives me the willies. Boy would that be expensive.:D
:):):) me too thats why I had to ask because I've played around with Aufhauser as "Cast Iron Rod" and it ended cracking out even with drilling and preheat. and grinding off stress risers. I have trouble seeing without cheaters anymore and use auto darking hood to save the old neck joints. I hope you make a weldor out of that son-in-law of yours :D you sure take good care of him. ;)

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Guys, Thanks for the comment's, Iv'e done a bunch since my last post but no pics. I'll take some tomorrow. chiefbuzzbee , We do get the odd bit of snow now and then. We had frost last Sunday.Not heavy but still frost. As far as a sunshade, I'm hoping it will make it feel like july next february. Ob1 I use an auto darkening helmet too. I sure don't get as many flashes as I used too. And my son and my son inlaw take care of me too.:D

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Took some pics, The door is hung and the door jam is done. The cab splits just about seat level and I will have to lift the top about 6 inches and drive out from under it. I am going to put hangers in the leanto at the back of the shop. Drive the tractor out from under it. Then I have to rig something so I can lift it easily with the loader and put it away for the summer. I will probably only get the cab done this year but I can alway's dream.:D

Attachments

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
Hi Dusty

Coming along nicely. Over here in Australia we have cabs with air conditioning to keep out of the hot weather ! Good idea with the quick on/off for the cab.

Also are you mig welding the frame or stick?

Cheers John

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I hope not to see snow till december but we will take what comes. Had frost last week though. I'm just using a stick welder, I have a 220 mig , no gas , I don,t like it and it does't like me. The cab is 46 inches wide , about 6 in narrower than the tires. :)

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
Looking good Dusty !

We haven't had frost yet but is really getting colder so that cab is a good plan. I wear my thermos and overalls and jacket with hood and snow gloves. then I try to move outside and on to the tractor.....then those 3 cups of coffee hits me....LOL Yep a cab is a good plan and maybe a coffee cup holder....:D

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
The cup holder is a must , may even put in a porta potti if I can find room. But if the cab is warm enough maybe I can blow snow in my tshirt. No having to peel off 14 layers to go to the can.A few more pics. home made door latch and a few more things done. The cab is off the tractor so I can finish welding every thing I have done so far. 4ft forks worked great for moving the cab. I used a 1 inch rope over a joist in the lean at the back of the shop and used the steiner to pull it up. turned the Kubota around put on the forks and backed the tractor and cab into the shop.:D

Attachments

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was wondering how you were going to get in and out and now I see. WHAT a cool handle. You better start priming and painting before cold weather sets in up there. Its in the low 50s here tonight in Alabama :cool:

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Okay~! I'm next in line~ build mine next~ Please~~:D
You are truly amazing~!

Your cab is looks a bit heavier. How do you put it on the tractor on and off?
I was having a heck of time to put it onto my tractor.
'cause, my tiny wife try to helping me to put it on and she couldn't lift much.:( I was almost dying to put it on...;)
If not rainging tomorrow, I'll take the picture and post here.
and I know you are waiting for the snow blade. I'm dying to finish it too.;)
As soon as I'm done, I'll post it here. That's promise.

Great job on your cab. I'm very jealous~~~:rolleyes:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ob1, low 40s here tonight I had better keep hammering on his thing. I am putting 10 guage sheet steel on the roof and what ever is going to be covered on the sides. Most of the sides will be windows. The front and back are glass but I think I am going to have to cheap out on the sides. At least untill the cash situation improves. But I am putting frames in that will take glass when I can afford it. Joekim I know the cab looks half decent in the pictures , but pictures lie. Yes it will be strong but chances are it won't be pretty. One thing is for sure, it will be kubota orange. To lift the cab off I just threw a rope over a beam in my storage shed , hooked the rope to all 4 corners of the cab and pulled it up with my steiner 4wheel drive. Once the cab was clear I drove the tractor out from under it. Then I could use the the loader on the kubota to move the cab where I wanted it.:D P.S thanks for the comments it helps keep a guy going.

Attachments

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Well Guys its bin a while since I posted any progress on the cab. And there is progress. Still lots to do, The roof is on and sheet metal is almost done . What little there is of it. I am making a sliding window for the right side of the cab. Two days on it so far. Anyway here are a few more pics.:D

Attachments

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
Hey Dusty, It is looking great, do you have a brake to bind the sheet metal? It looks better than some of the after market stuff I have seen. Hey if I send you my measurements could you built me one and mail it back to me before winter hits?.......LOL :D It has gotten down to the 30's but no frost yet but they are saying by this weekend it is to freeze so who knows. :rolleyes:

I like your work shed mine is where my wife keeps bringing things for me to repair and I'm always checking that I don't burn the place down.....:(

Have my dealer checking on my ROP from Kubota nothing yet but they have been busy with fairs all over the country so I just drive on flat ground.... :eek:

Great job looking forward to seeing more.

Jerry