Rear PTO safety circuit - SOLVED

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I'm trying to find out why I can't get off the tractor seat without the engine cutting out from the seat presence control shutting it down. This didn't happen last year when using my WC68 chipper.

Yes - tranny in N (not required but best)
Yes - Parking brake firmly engaged with both pedals locked together
Yes - I'm seated while engaging the rear-only PTO, and the chipper starts spinning at strong idle

Then I get up and it shuts down.

So the seat switch is working. May be the brake switch isn't registering that the hand brake is engaged?

Or the PTO select isn't registering that it's in Rear-PTO-Only mode?

I can sit a firewood piece on the seat and bypass the system but this should be an easy repair.

I'm going out to remove the instrument cowling now to get a look at the hand brake lever's connections and action. The only change from last fall is I did a maintenance on the brake adjustments R & L to get the pedal free play to just over the minimum. Maybe the park brake switch isn't engaging now?

Curious if anyone else has run into this. I'll be monitoring this thread as I investigate.

TIA!!!!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
With my 2501L, in order to leave the seat while PTO is engaged I have to exit the seat and immediately flip it up. I think it has a two second timeout then it will kill the engine if not flipped up.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
It shuts off to keep you safe! It's dangerous to dismount with the PTO running. Zero chance of you getting sucked into the chipper! Put a concrete block on the seat.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Fixed it! It was the parking brake lever switch adjustment as I suspected. If i pushed down hard enough on the lever while I stood up then no stoppage. The pictured sensor switch needed a full turn on the adjusting nuts to lower it to where it engaged enough with the parking brake lever when actuated and brakes locked, and completed the safety circuit. Back to wood chipping!

And thanks for the thoughtful responses!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
It shuts off to keep you safe! It's dangerous to dismount with the PTO running. Zero chance of you getting sucked into the chipper! Put a concrete block on the seat.
It shuts off if the parking brake isn't engaged and you get up from the seat. That is the correct operation according to my operator's manual.