rear pto engagement

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Silly question but, I was just topping off my hydro fluid and I noticed the gears in the fill hole. They are clean, rust free, and dry. I thought to engage the rear pto to keep em lubed. Will that engage those gears I see? Is it OK to engage the rear pto while the backhoe is on. I've never taken it off. Will it damage anything if I do?

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Silly question but, I was just topping off my hydro fluid and I noticed the gears in the fill hole. They are clean, rust free, and dry.

I thought to engage the rear pto to keep em lubed. Will that engage those gears I see?.

Not sure on this question - worse case it will throw oil up in your face - but then again at an idle - it really should not do that

Is it OK to engage the rear pto while the backhoe is on. I've never taken it off. Will it damage anything if I do?

WILL not hurt to spin it - but anything near it might rub against it (if there is anything around it)
IT would be a safety hazard too - (unless there is a cover over it - and that would illuminate rubbing too)

IF spinning - it will sap a small amount of engine power to spin it - not even noticeable ...

BUT to do it for piece of mine and let her spin then shut it off after a bit - nothing wrong with that I can see!

Reactions: 1 user

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Silly question but, I was just topping off my hydro fluid and I noticed the gears in the fill hole. They are clean, rust free, and dry.

I thought to engage the rear pto to keep em lubed. Will that engage those gears I see?.

Not sure on this question - worse case it will throw oil up in your face - but then again at an idle - it really should not do that

Is it OK to engage the rear pto while the backhoe is on. I've never taken it off. Will it damage anything if I do?

WILL not hurt to spin it - but anything near it might rub against it (if there is anything around it)
IT would be a safety hazard too - (unless there is a cover over it - and that would illuminate rubbing too)

IF spinning - it will sap a small amount of engine power to spin it - not even noticeable ...

BUT to do it for piece of mine and let her spin then shut it off after a bit - nothing wrong with that I can see!
Thanks, I manually lifted the bars that are the rear hitch and I saw the metal gears move inside a little. I was under the impression it was part of a gear set of sorts. Thanks for the response.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Might look dry but in reality are not. Hydraulic oil, like other lubricants applies a boundary layer of oil film to them. They might 'appear' to be dry but in reality they aren't.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I had the same question a while back. I dont use my rear PTO at all. The answer I got was theres no need to engage the pto to keep it lubed.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
My hydraulic fluid is so clear I have to lay the dip on a piece of paper to check it. It looks dry, but it isn't.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sometimes things look dry that are actually wet.
428A1C09-181E-457C-9D77-4D8EBE013E04.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thats a lot of water there

Skeets....

you know DAYUM well..... you never saw the water..........
you were looking at those mounds in the background - or was that foreground????

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes I see the self isolation is beginning to have a profound effect on peoples eyes, ya cant see the water and godzilla ,,for the ahhh ,,,for the ahhh,, you know them things :)

Last edited:
  • Haha