Rear Hydraulic Confusion

Arkansasdawg

Equipment
MX5400, grapple, Bad Boy Rotary Mower
Oct 7, 2020
Admitting to be a relative New Tractor Owner / Operator, the whole concept of Rear Hydraulics has me confused.

I have an MX5400 with FEL and 3rd function.

I have an agreement with my neighbor, who uses my property to store some of his implements and I have access to use those implements when I want. Pretty good deal.

I was looking at some of his implements and several have hydraulic controls such as a Land Plane. This got me thinking. If i have access to use these implements, maybe I should look into adding Rear Hydraulics. That is where the confusion began and Youtube has made it a little worse!! Ha

Here are my questions:
  1. I have watched some "Green" videos that talk about "Power Beyond." What the heck is that?
  2. Tractor Innovations has a relatively inexpensive Rear remote kit that looks pretty cool but would that work?
  3. If i am going to have rear hydraulics anyway, should I at the same time have more than 1 circuit? Why not add a Hydraulic top link While I am at it. So, does that require a diverter of some sort?
Is there a reference that explains all of this?

Thanks for your feedback

jimmy

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Admitting to be a relative New Tractor Owner / Operator, the whole concept of Rear Hydraulics has me confused.

I have an MX5400 with FEL and 3rd function.

I have an agreement with my neighbor, who uses my property to store some of his implements and I have access to use those implements when I want. Pretty good deal.

I was looking at some of his implements and several have hydraulic controls such as a Land Plane. This got me thinking. If i have access to use these implements, maybe I should look into adding Rear Hydraulics. That is where the confusion began and Youtube has made it a little worse!! Ha

Here are my questions:
  1. I have watched some "Green" videos that talk about "Power Beyond." What the heck is that?
  2. Tractor Innovations has a relatively inexpensive Rear remote kit that looks pretty cool but would that work?
  3. If i am going to have rear hydraulics anyway, should I at the same time have more than 1 circuit? Why not add a Hydraulic top link While I am at it. So, does that require a diverter of some sort?
Is there a reference that explains all of this?

Thanks for your feedback

jimmy
  1. Rear remotes are simply one or more sets of rear outlets that you can use to hook up hydraulic implements.
  2. Each set of outlets requires a control valve.
  3. Control valves come as individual spools or multiple spool;s.
  4. Each spool controls one set of outlets.
  5. A control valve (containing one or multiple spools) is inserted into a power beyond (also known as high pressure carry over) circuit from an upstraem valve - typically a loader valve.
  6. The power beyond circuit supplies pump pressure to each valve in the chain
  7. Each valve assembly needs to have a power beyond port for supplying the next valve in the chain and a separate tank return for returning oil from the work circuits (cylinders) to the tank
  8. As long as you are following that series plumbing arrangement you do not need a diverter.
  9. If you want threes sets of outlets you can use three single spool valves, one single spool valve and one double spool valve, or one three spool valve.
For multiple outlet conficurations it is generally most cost effective and easier to plumb one multiple spool valve than multiple single spool valves.

See attached image for a picture worth a thousand words.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
  1. Rear remotes are simply one or more sets of rear outlets that you can use to hook up hydraulic implements.
  2. Each set of outlets requires a control valve.
  3. Control valves come as individual spools or multiple spool;s.
  4. Each spool controls one set of outlets.
  5. A control valve (containing one or multiple spools) is inserted into a power beyond (also known as high pressure carry over) circuit from an upstraem valve - typically a loader valve.
  6. The power beyond circuit supplies pump pressure to each valve in the chain
  7. Each valve assembly needs to have a power beyond port for supplying the next valve in the chain and a separate tank return for returning oil from the work circuits (cylinders) to the tank
  8. As long as you are following that series plumbing arrangement you do not need a diverter.
  9. If you want threes sets of outlets you can use three single spool valves, one single spool valve and one double spool valve, or one three spool valve.
For multiple outlet conficurations it is generally most cost effective and easier to plumb one multiple spool valve than multiple single spool valves.

See attached image for a picture worth a thousand words.

Dan
this was an awesome explanation. What is a spool? That was the only question I had after reading it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
this was an awesome explanation. What is a spool? That was the only question I had after reading it.
A spool is the sliding element (just a rod with grooves around the outside) in the valve assembly that controls the flow going to the cylinders. A manual handle or electric solenoids are used to shift the spool backward and forward and actuate the cylinders. Each spool controls a single cylinder or sometimes in the case of things like a loader multiple cylinders that are moving in unison. Picture of a three spool valve below. Notice it has three handles for operating the spools. The six ports on the top are used to connect the valve to the cylinders - two ports for each cylinder for a total of three independent cylinders operated by three independent handles. Its basically three valves in one assembly.

Dan

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
A spool is the sliding element (just a rod with grooves around the outside) in the valve assembly that controls the flow going to the cylinders. A manual handle or electric solenoids are used to shift the spool backward and forward and actuate the cylinders. Each spool controls a single cylinder or sometimes in the case of things like a loader multiple cylinders that are moving in unison. Picture of a three spool valve below. Notice it has three handles for operating the spools. The six ports on the top are used to connect the valve to the cylinders - two ports for each cylinder for a total of three independent cylinders operated by three independent handles. Its basically three valves in one assembly.

Dan
Thank you!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Dan
When I got serious about tractors the word "spool" confused me too. In the UK they talk about spools rather than rear remotes so I was wondering if a spool was different to a valve. It's interesting that a spool of wire refers to the drum around which the wire or similar is wound. I guess it makes sense in the world of hydraulics that it's a cylindrical body inside a valve body that controls flow.

Reactions: 1 user

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
When I got serious about tractors the word "spool" confused me too. In the UK they talk about spools rather than rear remotes so I was wondering if a spool was different to a valve. It's interesting that a spool of wire refers to the drum around which the wire or similar is wound. I guess it makes sense in the world of hydraulics that it's a cylindrical body inside a valve body that controls flow.
Awesome explanation thank you

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
When using borrowed implements, consider what might be in their hydraulic cylinders, motors or hoses. Ideally, you are using the premium Kubota UDT fluid in your tractor and your friend does as well. Otherwise you could contaminate your fluid.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
When using borrowed implements, consider what might be in their hydraulic cylinders, motors or hoses. Ideally, you are using the premium Kubota UDT fluid in your tractor and your friend does as well. Otherwise you could contaminate your fluid.

Dave
Excellent advice. I just bought a used snow blower and won't hook it up to my rear remotes until I've drained all of the hydraulic oil out of both circuits.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Awesome explanation thank you
Some hydraulic valve spools shown below. At first glance they may look the same but if you look closer you will see some differences. Those notches and annular grooves all have a purpose and alter the operation of the valve.

Dan

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user