Re-decking a trailer

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Boards were pretty rotten on my 16ft dove tail trailer. To the point where I went through it with the tractor :eek:

Replaced the decking today. And it really wasn't to bad to replace. The hard part was removing the old boards.

Then had a piece of flat stock steel and a piece of angle iron to remove that holds the boards down at the top of the dove tail.

After that it was just a matter of one cut on each of the 16ft boards. Then a matter of laying the new deck in. Then welding the angle iron and flat stock back into place. :D

Took six 2x12x16's and one 2x8x16 board. In this case I used pressure treated. Couldn't locate a saw mill close buy to get some oak. :( Only took 2 hours start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Nice job, slap a little paint on that baby and it will look brand new[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Very nice work Daren. Good for 20 more years.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Looks good to go. Good work.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks guys :D:D I'm actually gonna soak the wood in some Thompsons water seal at some point. Not gonna be this weekend though. Got too much on my plate.

Just got back from hauling a truck load of stuff to good will. Got the old deck hauled out back to the burn pile. Now I gotta hay the yard, weed eat the edges and around the trees. Then mow the ditch with the push mower. Blow all the crud off the walk ways and driveway. Then tomorrow, I get to go to my in-laws, Bush hog, weed eat, and mow there property. Then haul the Kubota, Bush hog, and box blade back to the house since I got some field mowing to do for the neighbors :rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
About 8 years ago i used poplar decking -rough sawn. Still holding up other than the shrinkage. But yours looks way better. Nice work.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I just did the same for a buddy of mine. I might have suggested painting it with the wood off. It's a lot easier. Then stained the wood separately, once its dry put it back together.
The hard part is getting up the gumption just to do it!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Unless they have improved the formula, Thompson's is a short term solution. Its not particularly UV stable, it lasts maybe a season, and its expensive when re-applied every year. Plus, it may decrease traction, especially with damp tires.

Once you get Thompson's on, getting paint to stick later may be an issue. A couple can's of Home Depot "oops" exterior paint mixed together would give you better and longer coverage for the price of one can of Thompson's. If you have any leftover, give the upper surface a second or third coat with a few days in the sun between coatings. That will give you super UV protection on the underlayers and a much longer trailer life.

Just sayin'

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had rough Oak on a deck. I waited until the moisture pretty much evaporated (6 months) then brushed the wood with linseed oil. (I got the oil from the counties recycle depot. Where someone was cleaning out a garage and discarded paint, oil, etc. And would do so on a regular basis.)

I applied the oil several times over the years, always on a hot day. Never had trouble loading a 6000# trencher, and the wood lasted about 22 years, before one board caused grief!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len,

I used to coat my trailer every other year with whatever I had leftover in polyurethane. Park it out in the sun, let it dry a day, hit it with another coat... let it dry until it was all gone. After 37 years, it looks like fiberglass over wood!

A good penetrating oil would be a good choice. Hot day apps help get in in the wood.

LOL...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Was going to mention diesel and used oil but i youn know the enviromentalists are everywhere. Cant put used oil on a road, but new motor oil is ok. So new motor oil and diesel is what i will suggest.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren- nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonwood

Equipment
G2000. F2560
Jul 15, 2015
Courtland, MN
Anybody using a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and used motor oil on the wood?
I rebuilt a deck and side boards on a trailer about 16 years ago with 3/4" treated plywood. Every year I soak it in drain oil with an old rag or brush, making sure the edges of the plywood get well covered. It's never spent a day inside and the wood is as good as new. No warping, and no rot. All I make sure of is that the deck is tilted, so water doesn't set anywhere.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Len,

I used to coat my trailer every other year with whatever I had leftover in polyurethane. Park it out in the sun, let it dry a day, hit it with another coat... let it dry until it was all gone. After 37 years, it looks like fiberglass over wood!

A good penetrating oil would be a good choice. Hot day apps help get in in the wood.

LOL...
i like this a lot! If another wood trailer crosses my path, will do this one.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
sdk,

Shortly after my wife and I got married (1980) we bought a house when interest rates were 13.5%. We had about $40 left each month after paying the bills and going to the commissary. I needed a bed for my motorcycle trailer. I figured out how to do it with two sheets of plywood.

I planned to buy marine grade plywood for the trailer but, I couldn't afford to. I could afford two sheets of 3/4" 7-ply interior and hoped that I would at least get five or six years out of it. That was 37 years ago! Doesn't seem a long time ago but, I hardly recognize the people in this picture, taken about the same time! Lol... Same trailer bed, same wife. I am money ahead! Hopefully, Daren's trailer will last as long.

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ray, did those coats of polyurethane cause the deck to be slick?

Now you identify yourself as weird, " Lol... Same trailer bed, same wife."

This day in age, most guys wouldn't be satisfied with either one after 37 years!:D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
sdk,

Shortly after my wife and I got married (1980) we bought a house when interest rates were 13.5%. We had about $40 left each month after paying the bills and going to the commissary. I needed a bed for my motorcycle trailer. I figured out how to do it with two sheets of plywood.

I planned to buy marine grade plywood for the trailer but, I couldn't afford to. I could afford two sheets of 3/4" 7-ply interior and hoped that I would at least get five or six years out of it. That was 37 years ago! Doesn't seem a long time ago but, I hardly recognize the people in this picture, taken about the same time! Lol... Same trailer bed, same wife. I am money ahead! Hopefully, Daren's trailer will last as long.

great story & thanks for sharing it with us!

good looking young couple there!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
She looks pretty squared away,,,you ahhh not so much,,,lol:D