RCR1260 tailwheel grease fitting

OhWhatAView

Jun 17, 2021
South
In the process of greasing my RCR1260 rotary cutter tailwheel, I could not get it to accept grease. Removed fitting and it works but it looks like the threaded portion is long enough to contact the shaft inside the hole. I think the fitting is pressing against the tailwheel shaft and blocking the fitting opening. Is this something others have run into or am I the first to grease the tailwheel? 😄 Any way to resolve this?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Replace the fitting and stop short of tightening it up. Check to see if the thing will take grease. If so remove the fitting and touch the end to a grinder on the thread end to shorten it, Clean it up and replace it into the mower.

Or go buy a shorter fitting.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
If you grind the end off you'll likely grind off the rolled over metal that holds the spring and ball in the zerk. When you pump her full of grease, you'll push the ball and spring into the tailwheel pivot bearing and....

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Put a short nipple, coupling the the grease fitting
Or some other pipe fitting into the tail wheel hole

Reactions: 1 user

OhWhatAView

Jun 17, 2021
South
Thanks guys. I did try filing down the end of the fitting and indeed the spring and ball come out. No I didn't let them get into the hole. I'll look for a short nipple fitting or maybe a 90 degree I can file the threads on.