RC60-24B Cover Latch

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Going over the B1700 with the RC60-24B MMM that I picked up on Saturday and generating a list of what I need to do on this machine. The dust covers over the left and right pulley's were off the machine in a box. When putting them on yesterday, the left side latched in place, the right side (discharge side) has a broken latch. Due to the amount of grass the front tires kick up on the MMM, I'd like to run with them on. Does anyone know if that latch can be sourced minus the cover? Messick's has the complete cover for 70 plus shipping if I have to go that way. Will post a photo of the latch here in a few minutes

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
The following is not the factory latch but is a hood latch off an Allis Chalmers, maybe it will work?
CLICK HERE FOR LINK

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks wgator, may need to modify the placement but it looks like it may do the trick. I'll order one up and see.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I believe Carr Lane May have something similar called toggle clamps that may work

Attachments

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I may need to do a lunch trip to Lowes and take a look. I ended up not purchasing the Allis latch due to shipping being more than the part itself. I may remove the current assembly and take it with me for comparison. I was also thinking maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG269NN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If I can get my hands on some sheet steel I may be able to fabricate up a new latch using the other side as my template. A little finessing in the vise and a bit of orange paint will finish it off

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If I can get my hands on some sheet steel I may be able to fabricate up a new latch using the other side as my template. A little finessing in the vise and a bit of orange paint will finish it off
THAT! It was my FIRST thought.
Ya know... these days we seem to automatically leap to a “buy a replacement” rather than actualy FIX something. Our forefathers wouldn’t think that way or we’d not have gotten this far. John Browning was quoted as telling how his first job as an apprentice gunmaker was to make an octagonal barrel from a plain bar of steel using nothing but a file. He wasn’t allowed by his master to use a drill or lathe until he could make a perfect octagon blank with that file.

I have my Father’s Mod 80C Marlin which was made before serial numbers were required on firearms. Marlin has kept the magazine design for their modern stuff, such as a Mod 25 I keep to discourage vermin around the ranch, ..but these new ones have an orange colored plastic follower which breaks easily. I don’t like using the original Mod 80 mag in the Mod 25. While I like the orange in the new Mod 25 mag... the plastic sucks. Especially when a squirrel has an eye on my loaded peach-trees and the damn Mod 25 won’t chamber a round due to that cheap magazine follower.
I used a file and a hacksaw to cut a strip of metal off a scrap of C-purlin and made a new follower on the workbench. Disassembled the magazine and installed it. Works perfectly and cannot be distinguished from the original.
The peaches are so juicy you’d better have a napkin for your chin!

You will have SUCH a feel of Accomplishment and Pride when you make your own repair on that latch! Congrats!

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Picked up some steel at lunch and took a go at making a replacement. The steel is a bit thicker and harder to form, not much spring in it. Did a test fit and found I am out of the right size split pins so a finish nail did the stand in. Fits snug, not overly tight but enough to keep the latch from popping up. Time to hit it with the wire wheel, a bit of orange paint and then reinstall with a split pin. Will break out the pressure washer this weekend and give both Orange a wash down
82BCA850-4023-4990-9E26-C904917DA312.jpeg

MargoRi

Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Wow, you did pretty well! If I were doing it, I would have done it with a skein of wire and clamps. In my opinion, that's solid construction, too. To the comment of what better way to do it yourself, I can answer that not everyone has the time to do it. Sometimes it's easier to buy a ready-made solution than to mess around with fixing a problem for half a day. When it comes to a small clamp, it seems like everything can repair. But when you start doing it, you want to curse the whole world. I'm happy for people like the author of this discussion. They're big doers. But if I faced with a problem like this, I would go out and buy pre-made, reliable clamps. I hope you can understand.

Last edited: