Rather Expensive Day Mowing With L6060

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Decided to do a bit of mowing with the L6060 ROPS today in a heavily obstructed area that I routinely mow about twice each year. Not much more than an acre but takes about 3 hours due to dozens, dozens, and dozens of cedar trees and steep ground. Backing in beneath each tree to clip grass and weeds growing beneath (I'm particular) takes time but much less with the HST 6060 than with the gear drive tractors that I have used in the past, which is why I bought the 6060.

About 20 minutes in while backing beneath surrounding trees/brush as I must do on the initial round I snagged the rear work light on a branch and destroyed it upon moving forward. Interestingly, I was watching closely as it happened and thought that the branch was caught on the ROPS rather than anything easily damaged. Not so.

All steel parts OK but both plastic work light parts destroyed.

After finishing went to dealer to determine if service parts for optional work light available, expecting this not to be the case. Was not surprised. Must buy complete work light kit at $153+. Oh, well, it's in stock in the US, and will be here next week on stock order.

I usually break one or two plastic warning lamps each year and keep a spare on hand but this is the first time that I have broken the work lamp which I mounted inside of the ROPS in order to protect it as much as possible. I have also snagged a rear tail lamp on a grape vine so keep one of those on hand as well.

This is why I have no cab tractors.

SDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sorry to hear this. I hate it when that happens.
A few years back I was mowing and there were a lot of sticks on the ground. I recall thinking... I wonder if any of those are going to pop up and stop me. At which point motion stopped and an investigation revealed, a stick jammed in to the HST linkage.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Replace with a light set that is not plastic.

I have run my rigid D- series cubes through all sorts of limbs and objects. Absolutely manged the steel bracket to the point where ive had to hammer it out on the work bench.

the lights survive every time, its the bracket that takes the abuse as the light is grabbed and used like a lever to twist it up

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have not purchased work lights, yet. However, I keep looking at these with a metal shield for $249 a pair.

My ROPS already has lots of superficial scratches from tree limbs (along most of the field's perimeter).

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Replace with a light set that is not plastic.

I have run my rigid D- series cubes through all sorts of limbs and objects. Absolutely manged the steel bracket to the point where ive had to hammer it out on the work bench.

the lights survive every time, its the bracket that takes the abuse as the light is grabbed and used like a lever to twist it up

Wouldn't have mattered, even though my lamp was mounted on the inside of the ROPS rather than the outside.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have not purchased work lights, yet. However, I keep looking at these with a metal shield for $249 a pair.

My ROPS already has lots of superficial scratches from tree limbs (along most of the field's perimeter).
Cable is vulnerable.

In my case, the cable is routed on the inside of the ROPS yet it is still easily snagged by branches, etc. I consider myself fortunate that I avoided such damage for about 5 years.

Pulling the cable from the lamp usually renders the lamp worthless.

SDT

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree. I moved the lights to the inside of rops on version 2.0. Running the wires inside the rops tube helps protect them too

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Cable is vulnerable.

In my case, the cable is routed on the inside of the ROPS yet it is still easily snagged by branches, etc. I consider myself fortunate that I avoided such damage for about 5 years.

Pulling the cable from the lamp usually renders the lamp worthless.

SDT
I agree. If I buy them I will mount them on the inside, but nothing is fool proof. Heck - last week, I some how managed to smack myself on the side of my face with a branch as I backed under a tree with the rotary cutter. :unsure: No blood - it mostly hurt my pride.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'd get rid of the cedar trees.
Agreed, but several hundred total and many are large.

Would take about a week with a 250-300 HP Fecon which I do not have.

In my case, the cedar branches, while very annoying, are not damaging. The branches of other trees surrounding the parcel are, even though I routinely trim such with both chain and pole saws.

I consider occasional damage to peripherals a cost of doing what I choose to do, which, again, is why I own no cab tractors.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Been in the woods many times in the year since I purchased these. So far no damaged lights. lightguards
Just ordered a pair for my L6060 ROPS where the turn/hazzard lamps are badly exposed.

Checked M9960 and B3350 before ordering as both use same turn/hazzard lamps but lamps on both are much better protected by ROPS, etc., and I have not yet damaged lamps on either.

Thanks, again for the link.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Talk with your local NRCS office. They have cost/share funding for brush removal or thinning.