[RANT] String Trimmers

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
... oh how I hate these things !!

I've NEVER had one that was worth a damn !! if it isn't a problem with it running right ( old gas, just wanna be a PITA, what ever) it's the string head !

I bought a NEW Stihl FS 56 trimmer yesterday, runs wonderfully !! ( it should !!) but I've spent the 35 min of the last hour rethreading the head, cut a short piece, stop, rethread the head rinse repeat....

I get it to advance line a few times, then it stops advancing and the line breaks off, Argh !!

.095 Echo starwire or what ever, even the line that came with the trimmer did it, same size, only smooth. the line seems to be welding to itself inside the head and not allowing it to advance.

It's a day of rest right ?

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I bought a Cub Cadet and it works great, it's a 4 cycle and it screams! The head works like it should.

The thing about clogging up the carbs is the fuel, this new fuel will jell up the carb and the holes in them are so small it doesn't take much to clog them. Keep fresh fuel in them and fire them up every so often even if you don't use them.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I buy the marked farm gas for the mowers here. Some friends have advised me never to use farm gas in the string trimmers. Apparently whatever is used to color the gas can clog up the jets. I have not encountered this problem.

I just bought a Home Depot brand trimmer - works well, and the heavier string does not clog as often.

My big gripe about these is the piston & cylinder. After a few seasons use, the lapped piston loses compression and the whole unit gets discarded, as it is not worth fixing.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
When you wind string in the spool head hold 1 line between the second and one between third finger this will keep trimmer plastic cutting string from getting wound over itself and make sure you are winding it according to diaghram on spool in right direction. You need to keep lines seperated or they wont unwind when bumped they will break or hangup. handy

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sell or return the Sthil FS56 and spend 400 bucks and buy yourself a commerical grade Sthil FS90. I don landscaping on the side and the last Sthil commerical weed wacker I has lasted me 9 years. Never had a minutes problem and well worth every penny I spent!

If you live on alot of acerage and do a lot of weed eating weekly or biweekly that Sthil FS56 wont last you but a year or so.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Sell or return the Sthil FS56 and spend 400 bucks and buy yourself a commerical grade Sthil FS90. I don landscaping on the side and the last Sthil commerical weed wacker I has lasted me 9 years. Never had a minutes problem and well worth every penny I spent!

If you live on alot of acerage and do a lot of weed eating weekly or biweekly that Sthil FS56 wont last you but a year or so.

I have just over an acre to deal with, not all of it gets trimmed.

the FS56RS-E is considered a "light commercial" tool

FS90R has a little more powerful engine, but has the same head standard on it, and it's the "TapAction 2line AutoCut 25-2" head I'm having issue with.

I bought as much as I could afford, I've spent too much at that, and put good money after bad into POS trimmers trying to make them work.

I don't want to spend anymore "to make it work" for $300 it should work without modification, I'm not cutting trees with it !! ( but it could if I had those attachments )

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I bought my FS90 new about a year ago and spent like 330 for weedeater a spool of line and a 6 pack of 50:1 oil. Be patient and give the trimmer head a little time to break in. Mine was a huge PITA when I first got it.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Kevin, I also have a sthil trimmer (about 7 years now) and found it would weld the string also. What I do is to advance the string frequently, even though it isn't worn down to the point that is needs advancing. What I think it is doing when it welds to itself or breaks off is that the string heats up to the point of melting where it comes out of the spool. I have found that I can measure out 22 to 23 ft. and double wind it on the spool, cut the loop at the end and go to town. I try to remember to advance the line when it isn't ready. Hope this advice helps. pat

rbphoto

Equipment
G 1900 HST diesel
Jul 10, 2010
Hickory Tavern, SC
Two words:

Pro Head

Never wind string again and never get the stuff bound up inside.

I spend 15 minutes cutting string to length, zip tie them together, stick them in my pocket and go to town.

My 15+ yr old Shindaiwa, put together from 3 golf course throwaways, still runs like a scalded dog. Cranks within 3 pulls everytime.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
When you wind string in the spool head hold 1 line between the second and one between third finger this will keep trimmer plastic cutting string from getting wound over itself and make sure you are winding it according to diaghram on spool in right direction. You need to keep lines seperated or they wont unwind when bumped they will break or hangup. handy
I couldn't agree more ,thats the way to reload any head strimmer head that comes apart which doesn't have a separated spool for each cord but I just looked up the 25-2 head and its re stringed from outside..give me the older head anytime.
dave

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default....maehkopf-befuellen/autocut-c-25-2/default.htm

Sam427

Equipment
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I have just over an acre to deal with, not all of it gets trimmed.

the FS56RS-E is considered a "light commercial" tool

FS90R has a little more powerful engine, but has the same head standard on it, and it's the "TapAction 2line AutoCut 25-2" head I'm having issue with.

I bought as much as I could afford, I've spent too much at that, and put good money after bad into POS trimmers trying to make them work.

I don't want to spend anymore "to make it work" for $300 it should work without modification, I'm not cutting trees with it !! ( but it could if I had those attachments )
I paid $185 for my Cub Cadet 2 line, you would think a $300 trimmer would work.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well I'm looking all over the Sthil website and I dont ever see my cuting head anywhere on the site. Mine I have to take a plastic ring of, push down and twist out the center piece then spool string on both sides then replace. Never really have any troubles!

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
I think I have it fixed, well, I was at least able to use the trimmer for 15minutes and there is still string hangin' out the sides of the head.

I bought a 50' roll of GATORLINE Magnum, .105" line with an Aramid fiber core

this stuff WORKS !! I spooled it up and used the trimmer for the longest I have been able to since I bought it.

The FS56 is pretty damn powerful, I think thats why I have had such issue with the line breaking in the head.

Thanks for the suggestions !!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My brother bought a commercial Echo and used the octagon (I think) shaped Echo line on it. That stuff cut great and didn't ever give him any feed problems.

Personally, if I can't cut it with the tractor it gets sprayed. Damn a weed eater.

Sam427

Equipment
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Speaking of Gators, I saw my resident gator a few times this weekend. Got my tractor stuck in the creek twice, glad he was on the other end of the property!

Travelin2theEast

Equipment
JD 5420
Sep 12, 2010
Hickory,NC
I have the fs 90 and the 110 with the same head as yours. Either your cutting stuff that is too thick for the string or your sting is a problem. I would bet that your cutting stuff that is to big for the unit. I have had the same problem and that was the issue