Rammed the loader valve on MX6000 cab and damaged it. Can I still use the tractor?

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yesterday I was backing up a steep grass reservoir dam covered with thick, dense vegetation. At the very top, I suddenly felt the loader joystick move and slam into my leg. At first I was puzzled how the stick could move on its own, especially since the loader is not currently on the tractor. Then I noticed a test well, obscured by the tall grass, had made contact with the rear of the little gray sheet metal box that houses the loader valve and hangs below the right hand side cab door. The action of the tractor reversing up the slope and coming into contact with the valve housing had cause the whole valve to be moved forward and inwards. The loader stick is attached by heavy cables that operate spool valves in the loader valve. Both cables snapped. There was the sound of pressurized air - maybe the hydraulic system in relief mode, or maybe a leak. I quickly shut down the PTO and slowly came back down the face of the dam to a safe area at the bottom.
For now, it seems everything still works - transmission, power steering, 3-point hitch. I couldn't tell if there was a leak or not. I will try to remove the bent enclosure for further examination tonight.

Question is, can I still safely use the tractor? Is anything else hydraulic-wise affected? With the valve unit potentially damaged, can I safely operate this machine climbing up a steep 75-foot dam?

Thanks in advance.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If not leaking probably yes.

Just be sure it isn’t pumping out the transmission case or trying to have the valve (joystick) in continuous operation

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I took it apart last night. The valve itself appears to be undamaged. The thick (3/8") steel angle bar that the valve mounts on actually is bent forward, which snapped one of the two cables completely. The other cable is bent and damaged but still attached, and that is causing the loader joystick to jam into my leg and make operating the rocker pedal difficult. The flimsy sheet metal valve cover is pretty mangled. I'm headed back to the jobsite later today with my 3'foot angle prybar and some blocks / wedges to try to get the valve mounting back somewhat back to its normal spot, which should take stress off the loader joystick. Right now, the loader valve is stuck open hard curl, and the valve is in relief. There is a tiny bit of wetness at the relief valve, but otherwise I don't see a leak. The hoses coming out the bottom of the valve and up towards the loader disconnects are jammed up a bit, so that needs to be rectified as well. All in all, Kubota should have done a better job in protecting this area since it hangs as low as the door entry step, one of the lowest points on the tractor.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I took it apart last night. The valve itself appears to be undamaged. The thick (3/8") steel angle bar that the valve mounts on actually is bent forward, which snapped one of the two cables completely. The other cable is bent and damaged but still attached, and that is causing the loader joystick to jam into my leg and make operating the rocker pedal difficult. The flimsy sheet metal valve cover is pretty mangled. I'm headed back to the jobsite later today with my 3'foot angle prybar and some blocks / wedges to try to get the valve mounting back somewhat back to its normal spot, which should take stress off the loader joystick. Right now, the loader valve is stuck open hard curl, and the valve is in relief. There is a tiny bit of wetness at the relief valve, but otherwise I don't see a leak. The hoses coming out the bottom of the valve and up towards the loader disconnects are jammed up a bit, so that needs to be rectified as well. All in all, Kubota should have done a better job in protecting this area since it hangs as low as the door entry step, one of the lowest points on the tractor.
I think you can disconnect those cables at the valve pretty easily. That should let the spools spring back to neutral. Don't operate with the relief relieving.