Rainwater diverter recommendations

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have spent more than a little time looking at downspout rainwater diverters and wanted to ask any of the members here which brand and type works well.

The criteria for a diverter for my system is this.
3 x4 standard aluminum downspout
A leaf filter built into the diverter. I am not able to easily access a filter at the gutter/downspout junction.
A 3 to 4 inch round outlet for the collected rainwater. I plan on using either 3 inch or 4 inch corrugated flexible drain to run down hill 280 feet to a wildlife pond.
Ideally I would like a "valve" to switch between water going into the drain outlet or simply into the downspout along side the building.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This might not meet all of your specs - but it works perfectly for me.

I have 2 275 gallon tanks that are fed by this - the neat thing with this is that if you are full, and do not need more water - simply remove the 2 screws and pull out and place the plug in the downspout. The best part of this is when it rain a little - most of it goes to the tank, if a hard rain, most of the water does not get caught and placed into the holding tank.

https://www.amazon.com/EarthMinded-...26646286&sprefix=rain+diverter,aps,206&sr=8-1

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
This might not meet all of your specs - but it works perfectly for me.

I have 2 275 gallon tanks that are fed by this - the neat thing with this is that if you are full, and do not need more water - simply remove the 2 screws and pull out and place the plug in the downspout. The best part of this is when it rain a little - most of it goes to the tank, if a hard rain, most of the water does not get caught and placed into the holding tank.

https://www.amazon.com/EarthMinded-FlexiFit-Universal-Diverter-System/dp/B00NO29TGW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3DK2HVO6ABZI1&dchild=1&keywords=rain+diverter+for+downspout&qid=1626646286&sprefix=rain+diverter,aps,206&sr=8-1
Thanks for the link, I will check it out!.(y):)

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I wouldn't use a corrugated pipe under any conditions. The corrugations will fill with silt and other debris, and cause you clogging problems latter on. I would use a 4" or larger PVC pipe. Considering the distance, a 6" pipe would be a better choice.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I wouldn't use a corrugated pipe under any conditions. The corrugations will fill with silt and other debris, and cause you clogging problems latter on. I would use a 4" or larger PVC pipe. Considering the distance, a 6" pipe would be a better choice.
Thanks for the thoughts!
I was hoping to keep debris out by having a course leaf filter. I have looked at some diverter‘s that have them. As far as silt is it your thoughts it would enter at the gutter in the form of dust, pollen and wind blown small particles that will form the silt?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Thanks for the thoughts!
I was hoping to keep debris out by having a course leaf filter. I have looked at some diverter‘s that have them. As far as silt is it your thoughts it would enter at the gutter in the form of dust, pollen and wind blown small particles that will form the silt?
"Silt" is a term to describe a wide range of particulate that will clog up your corrugated tubing. It consists of airborne dust, dirt, bird poop, tree blossoms, shingle granules, fragments of leaves that go right past your leaf filter, twig pieces, and the list goes on and on. The only thing I have found that corrugated tubing is good for is creating blockage.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
"Silt" is a term to describe a wide range of particulate that will clog up your corrugated tubing. It consists of airborne dust, dirt, bird poop, tree blossoms, shingle granules, fragments of leaves that go right past your leaf filter, twig pieces, and the list goes on and on. The only thing I have found that corrugated tubing is good for is creating blockage.
I was really hoping to be able to use the corrugated due to the cost factor, (a 290 foot run approximately ). If it matters I have about a foot 20 foot drop in that 290 feet not counting any head pressure at the building itself.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
When it plugs up, all that money you saved goes out the window.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Worse than that, the corrugated stuff can be gnawed through by chipmunks from the outside leading to a flood of water under concrete or next to the foundation. Can’t say anything good about the stuff except as a temporary above ground fix for something. It also crushes under ground if you have to run heavy trucks over that spot.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I ran 300' of 4" socketed weeping tile as a 'conduit' to get road water through my next door property. Not a whole lot of slope but water always trickled through, never more than 1/3rd full. You shouldn't get a build up of silt ,after the lower corrugations are full, then it's smooth sailing for water and silt.
Really no need for a valve. Have the roof feed the IBC tote, then have an 'excess water' connection near the top of the tote, that then feeds the conduit down to the pond. Tote will always be full this way. neighbour did this trick ,so a good rainstorm automatically cleans out his duck pond in the pen and refill with fresh water. ducks are happy !