Radio Install for M series tractor

klansdell

Equipment
M8560
Mar 29, 2012
Murillo, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone,

I hope this post will help someone out and save them some time.

I recently purchased the 2015 M8560 with the ultra grand cab. It comes with a slot for a radio/cd player. The guys I bought it from more or less steered me away from Kubota's radio and said I'd be better off with a cheaper and better player from the local Best Buy. So I bought a $100 dollar Sony car stereo and set out to install it.

You will find behind the pop out cover that there is a large antennae wire and a wiring harness with several small colored wires that goes to a male square plastic plug.

This harness plug did not match my radio so I had to cut it off and wire it to the harness that came with my radio. The antennae radio plugged into my player fine without any alterations.

Here's where I first went wrong! One of the wires is a "constant power wire" that goes back to the battery to allow your clock and stereo settings to be stored. If you cut all of the wires at once you will almost certainly short a wire and blow one of the fuses. That's what happened to me. I spent hours checking my wiring thinking I had messed it up only to find it was a fuse that I had blown. This can be avoided either by individually cutting the wires so it doesn't short out or disconnecting the battery terminals before starting.

For what it's worth, my wiring colors on the tractor were as follows:

Black = ground
Red with Black stripe = constant power (to battery)
Blue with yellow stripe = ignition power (powers unit when tractor is on)
White and White with black stripe (rear left speaker +ive and -ive respectively)
Yellow and Yellow with black stripe (rear right speaker +ive and -ive respectively)

The car stereo wires were not color coded to kubota's wiring but the installation instructions that came with the radio labelled them simply enough.

Notebly, when I first started troubleshooting my problem, I checked the "radio" fuse on the fuse panel thinking that If I had blown a fuse that would've been the one but it wasn't. It was some other random fuse (I forget which one) that went. So if you're having the same problem as me make sure you check them all. I used a little 4 dollar fuse tester which saved me from having to pull each one and visually inspect them.

Good luck

djgilman

Equipment
MX5400 RTV00X
Jan 19, 2023
Pemberton British Columbia
Hey everyone,

I hope this post will help someone out and save them some time.

I recently purchased the 2015 M8560 with the ultra grand cab. It comes with a slot for a radio/cd player. The guys I bought it from more or less steered me away from Kubota's radio and said I'd be better off with a cheaper and better player from the local Best Buy. So I bought a $100 dollar Sony car stereo and set out to install it.

You will find behind the pop out cover that there is a large antennae wire and a wiring harness with several small colored wires that goes to a male square plastic plug.

This harness plug did not match my radio so I had to cut it off and wire it to the harness that came with my radio. The antennae radio plugged into my player fine without any alterations.

Here's where I first went wrong! One of the wires is a "constant power wire" that goes back to the battery to allow your clock and stereo settings to be stored. If you cut all of the wires at once you will almost certainly short a wire and blow one of the fuses. That's what happened to me. I spent hours checking my wiring thinking I had messed it up only to find it was a fuse that I had blown. This can be avoided either by individually cutting the wires so it doesn't short out or disconnecting the battery terminals before starting.

For what it's worth, my wiring colors on the tractor were as follows:

Black = ground
Red with Black stripe = constant power (to battery)
Blue with yellow stripe = ignition power (powers unit when tractor is on)
White and White with black stripe (rear left speaker +ive and -ive respectively)
Yellow and Yellow with black stripe (rear right speaker +ive and -ive respectively)

The car stereo wires were not color coded to kubota's wiring but the installation instructions that came with the radio labelled them simply enough.

Notebly, when I first started troubleshooting my problem, I checked the "radio" fuse on the fuse panel thinking that If I had blown a fuse that would've been the one but it wasn't. It was some other random fuse (I forget which one) that went. So if you're having the same problem as me make sure you check them all. I used a little 4 dollar fuse tester which saved me from having to pull each one and visually inspect them.

Good luck
Hi Everyone

I recently installed a radio in my MX5400 Cab and my dealer gave me a great diagram for the wiring.

Basically Kubota's harness has:
Pink- Battery
Blue-Acc (ignition)
Black-Ground
White/White Black is for speaker
Yellow/Yellow Black is for speaker

See attached diagram.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Any time you are doing work on electrical it’s always a smart idea to unhook the battery or power supply. It’s a ten second job

Reactions: 1 user

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
The real mistake was cutting the harness at all.
An adapter harness is available from numerous sources for $10-$20.
I usually buy them from ebay.
BTW- I'm a former professional installer. There is no logical reason to cut a factory harness with a molded plug. You also end up with more wire to work with.

Reactions: 2 users

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
The real mistake was cutting the harness at all.
An adapter harness is available from numerous sources for $10-$20.
I usually buy them from ebay.
BTW- I'm a former professional installer. There is no logical reason to cut a factory harness with a molded plug. You also end up with more wire to work with.

100% agree. Unfortunately for the OP its just typical lack of experience or laziness. But then again this was also approaching 8 years ago. These days there are harnesses available for pretty much anything these days.

El Bigoton

Equipment
M9960
Aug 1, 2015
Harlingen, Texas
I have an M9960 I bought brand new years ago. I took the tractor to D-Tronics here in South Texas. They’re an electronics store but do window tinting. I went with them to have limo tint put on all windows (that limo tint keeps my cab cool in our summer weather). Anyhow they tossed in a radio with blue tooth, etc. with to tint install.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I recently installed an aftermarket radio into my new LX2610. I ordered a Kubota radio harness from amazon and connected it to the appropriate wires on the radio. To identify the connections in the tractor plug I just used a meter. I did this initially using the amazon harness plugged into the tractor prior to connecting it to the radio. To find which speakers were which I just touched the wires to a 1.5-volt flashlight battery and listened for the click sound from the speaker. The hardest job was raising the roof to bend out the radio support tabs that keep it from falling out.

Reactions: 1 users