R14s - Closer to R1s or R4s in the field?

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
R-14's (and loaded) on my LX2610. The only time I mess up my yard if if I turn too sharply or forget to take it out of 4x4 after doing something in the back where lawn is not an issue. They will dig a hole quick if you spin them, but that's no different from R1's. Just recognize that if you're spinning, you're not doing anything, and you'll solve most of your getting stuck problems. The bars aren't as tall as Ag tires, but there's more of them in a pattern that makes them bite a lot better. The stiffer sidewall doesn't hurt either. and also makes the tractor VERY stable.
My salesman is also an actual farmer since childhood. He isn't a big fan of the R14s but did make the point about the stiffer sidewalls and wider tread/more stability but shallower lugs.
He isn't pushing one over the other; most of the advice I have gathered here and elsewhere puts the R14s at about 70/30ish over the R1s.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My salesman is also an actual farmer since childhood. He isn't a big fan of the R14s but did make the point about the stiffer sidewalls and wider tread/more stability but shallower lugs.
He isn't pushing one over the other; most of the advice I have gathered here and elsewhere puts the R14s at about 70/30ish over the R1s.
Yeah, the jury's still out on how long they'll last. Mine will probably outlast me, though, as long as I don't cut one down on a stump or rock. It's a completely different tire from R1 ag tires (not quite as aggressive bars) or R4 Industrial Tires. Good traction, yet they don't chew up the yard. Not sure how Goodyear achieved that, but they done good. Well, my R14s are Goodyears, at least. No idea if anyone else is making them (yet).

Forgot to mention, that I got my LX2610SU with oversize tires as well anticipating a backhoe in its future. That little tractor is VERY stable and has a pretty massive footprint for a compact tractor. I say little tractor, but it's every bit the tractor of an old 8N or similar, and probably more HP. Not quite as heavy though, which was my reasoning for having the tires loaded. Weight is work on a tractor. The only downside of the oversize tires was that I had to change the lift-links on the lift arms so they had a little more travel. My BB wanted to be a little too close to the ground to hook up, and adding a quick hitch only made things worse.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
If you are doing any kind of regular field work in muddy, sandy or wet conditions there is no substitute for R1s. R14s still tend to plug up too much versus shedding mud like an R1. Also R1s will have more lbs/sq inch of weight due to their narrower profile.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I can pretty much avoid muddy conditions since this is all "fun" work for me. No sandy soil; it's mostly nice (but a little rocky in spots) loam.

The dealer is going to put R14s on, so we'll see how it goes. Says they should be easier/faster to get than R1s (?), so it might be ready for delivery a little sooner. Still waiting on rear remote valves.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Liking the R14s on the B2601. They seem to have a tad better forward/reverse traction than the R4s I've had since 2013 and have A LOT more side grip. They don't seem to leave as deep marks in soft earth as the R4s did. Just hope they're as tough. Have had NO tire problems with R4s. Lots with front turfs on first tractor for 9 years. Never any problem on rears.

I'm thinking the R14s should be called R34s. They're more like a cross between R4 and R3 in the treads.

Last edited:

kreuss

Equipment
B26 - loader, backhoe, box blade, pallet forks
Mar 22, 2021
Lothian, MD
I'm thinking the R14s should be called R34s. They're more like a cross between R4 and R3 in the treads.
My vote for R34s would be the Carlisle Versa Turf's and similar tires, they were designed to be a more aggressive R3. The R14s seem to be designed as a less aggressive R1, but many say they do good on lawns. Maybe R143? :)