R14 vs .....

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
I know this has probably been beat to death. I am working with my dealer on a LX2610su. I'm torn between R4 and R14. If there was a more aggressive turf option, I would probably chose it. I follow some orange FB groups and I see hundreds of people people recommending the R14 tires as easier on turf, who appear to have no experience with both. Are they just a fad? They do look cool.

I liked my previous R4 fine, though I did leave deep tread impression if the ground was soft. The R14 appear to have leas tread contact on the tires surface, so its hard to believe they tear up turf less.

Can anybody who has experience with both chime in? My usage is driveway maintenance, thinning out 4 acres of woods with probably a 100 downed trees. I don't mow with a tractor, but I frequently drive on my yard for projects.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
No fad here, I have been running them for 110 hours on my lxsu and they really are the best all around tire in my opinion. I have 10 acres. They do very well in snow for plowing using a bucket and 6 foot rear blade, dirt work and being in the mud, they perform excellent, they hold traction and shed mud easily. I maintain our 400ft driveway in the summer with mostly a box blade. I have only ever used counter-weight instead of loading the rear tires. I think they knocked it out of the park with these tires. My last tractor had R-4's.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know this has probably been beat to death. I am working with my dealer on a LX2610su. I'm torn between R4 and R14. If there was a more aggressive turf option, I would probably chose it. I follow some orange FB groups and I see hundreds of people people recommending the R14 tires as easier on turf, who appear to have no experience with both. Are they just a fad? They do look cool.

I liked my previous R4 fine, though I did leave deep tread impression if the ground was soft. The R14 appear to have leas tread contact on the tires surface, so its hard to believe they tear up turf less.

Can anybody who has experience with both chime in? My usage is driveway maintenance, thinning out 4 acres of woods with probably a 100 downed trees. I don't mow with a tractor, but I frequently drive on my yard for projects.
I recall reading threads where people complain that the R14 tires are bouncy compared to R4s.

Personally, when thinking about buying a new tractor, which didn’t happen, I concluded in my case the R14 was not for me, although initially I thought they were pretty cool.

I was drawn to them by the fact that they were more like AG tires and less likely to fill up with mud like my R4 tires do. Then I thought about it and realized I don’t get in mI’d that much.

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
I have read complaints on bounce as well. My R4 would beat you to death, if the terrain was bumpy and I tried for any speed. I don't know if bounce could be a pro to some or not. I filled the tread on my R4 a number of times, but they cleaned themselves once mud dried. I have read the R14 shed mud better. They are advertised an R1 hybrid, not as a more gentle turf replacement to the R4. I have seen mixed reports on real world turf use. I was hoping one more thread on the topic might make up my mind😉

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
I think I am staying with R4. The R14 look nice, but the only advantage I can see is that they shed mud better from all accounts, and traction might be better. The R4 have been reported to feel more stable on slopes due to stiffer sidewall and less bounce. Also they appear to have more surface area on the tread, which might lower ground pressure. At lease that is how I am selling myself on R4.

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
I just sold my B7610 with R4 tires. Buying an LX2610su. Tires speced by Kubota are as follows:

Front tires - 25x8.50-14 R4
Rear tires - 15-19.5 R4

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I only have about 22 hours on the LX cab with R-14’s but I am amazed at their turf capabilities.
I honestly think they are as good on turf as Turf tires. Definitely looking forward to next winter to see their ability on snow and ice. I have not been in the mud yet. The only other tires I have experience with are turfs on a JD 770 for 22 years.

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
I only ever saw my R4 do any damage when the ground was soft. I expect either will tattoo the earth in that case. For a few reasons I stuck with the R4.

My dealer had a set of the larger R4 on hand.

I have hills and the R14 is reported to have a mushier sidewall and bounce.

Both have sharp corners, the R14 appear to have deeper, wider spaced lugs like the R1. The center pattern is what I assume give it is "turf" characteristics. It's such a narrow band through, that I have to believe it would imprint soft ground even worse than the R4 due to less ground contact on the surface.

They do look cool, and everytime I see new tractors with them, I remind myself why I made my decision.

Reactions: 1 user

Dutch64

Equipment
L2501
May 30, 2021
NC
I chose R14's for my L2501 and went a step further and had them filled. I do 50% of my work on customers lawns and roads, so far I am pleased. The other 50% is clearing brush (4 in 1 bucket with tooth bar) on the edges of swampy NC wood lines. No hills here on the coast to deal with other than ditches and culverts. Granted, no tire is going to hold fast in muddy terrain pushing against tree's but I can say that the R14's tend to hold their ground longer, get the tractor out of trouble spots a bit better and clean out like a boss. My only concern is a less durable side wall around sheared off saplings and jagged wood. To be fair, any tire will bust when you least expect it. Only time will tell. Keep the shiny side up.

Reactions: 1 user