R1 vs R4

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
I am ordering this model from a local dealer. Gear Drive. I own 20 acres. Bout 50/50 pasture/woods. A good portion is not level. I plan on building a gravel road, bush hogging, land cleanup. I still have not decided if it's worth the added expense of R4 tires. Any suggestions are appreciated.

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
Patt, I have an M6800 with R4's that is used mostly for bush hogging, clearing out saplings and scrub brush, and other utility work in generally hilly terrain. I feel more confident with the R4s in the stuble and debris--although R-1s might have been helpful in wet and muddy conditions. Good luck.

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
A large part of the extra cost of R4 "industrial tires" is the strength of materials and construction. An "Ag" tire has a much deeper and better tread for pulling through mud and soft dirt. But it is much easier to damage or puncture working in the woods. And of course, an Ag tire chews up your lawn or field when doing a tight turn or in Spring when the ground is soft. So most buyers pay the extra cost for an industrial tire, even though, like me on my L6060, I get stuck down by my creek if I get too ambitious. Life is a compromise.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
We have a 9N Ford and Farmall H with R1’s that my Dad has had for around 60 years so that’s what I grew up with. L4701 with R4’s since late summer 2019. R1’s pull better in soft dirt so if you’re pulling tillage implements (plow, disc, subsoiler, etc.) the R1’s will perform better because they flex, which puts an extra tread bar on the ground and the flex combined with deeper bars cleans mud better than R4’s.

As others have said, the R4’s are more puncture resistant, less likely to tear up the ground, stiffer sidewall arguably better for loader work, and (in my experience) actually pull better in reverse than R1’s even in mud.

Current tractor needs are more loader, mowing, box blading... utility work v ag type tillage so I went with the R4’s. If I had ideal for every job, I’d be swapping between turfs, R1’s, and occasionally steel tracks but two tractors and a small dozer were a bit too expensive so the compromise of the L4701 with R4’s made sense for me. Sloppy mud traction is acceptable. I really prefer not to be mud bogging anyway because that’s tearing up the place, which is generally undesirable to me although we do have three creek fords which it does fine with. Lack of damage mowing areas that require a lot of tight maneuvering has also been acceptable.

Bottom line it depends on what you’re using it for and what’s most important to you.

Reactions: 1 user