R1 vs R4 for L3901

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
I am ordering this model from a local dealer. Gear Drive. I own 20 acres. Bout 50/50 pasture/woods. A good portion is not level. I plan on building a gravel road, bush hogging, land cleanup. I still have not decided if it's worth the added expense of R4 tires. Any suggestions are appreciated.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You asked this is a different thread also. For what you state your intents... stay with R1.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There are a few videos by Messicks that describe the differences.

The R4s are wider and tougher tires. Working in the woods they are stronger when you hit sticks etc and don’t flex as much when you have a heavy loader. That’s important when you have a grapple. R4s also last longer.

R1s are better for mud, but do you really want to use the tractor and clean up the mess when it’s muddy. Also, the R1 rims have offset rims. I wish the R4 rims would offset. I guess they don’t because they are a lot wider tire although MXs seem to offset even with R4s.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
If you need any kind of traction in mud, snow, on slopes or for any tillage applications stay with R1. R4s are horrible for traction in any real working conditions. The "R4 is tougher argument" is mute unless you are working construction. I run a grapple all the time with heavy logs and my R1s dont even squat. I bought my MX with R4s and had to pay 3k for R1s to fix that mistake a year in. Pricey because the rims dont match. I was stuck in 4wd all the time with R4s, never once with R1s.

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
For the use you describe stay with R1, I use my tractors for mainly woodland and foot plot work. No issue with R1 for toughness. R1 gives good traction. My L3901 actually has turfs as I use it at home some time and drive across lawns.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I had a L3301 until recently. After much research I went with R1. No experience with R4 except anecdotal evidence of some tractor owners who have stated that R4's don't work well in mud or conditions that will need traction under load. My new MX5400 will have R1's. If you don't ever plan to go on concrete (or rarely) go with r1's.

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with the R4's. The property has some uneven terrain. Hilly. I think I need all the stability I can get.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I now live in Florida and had a MF 1528. It had R4 tires and it worked well for me on the flat land of Florida.

After my dad passed I took the tractor to SE Ohio to clean up my dad's place. The R4s were dangerous on the hills allowing the tractor to slide sideways. It took the 4 x 4 to do any work. This was in the summer and no mud in sight.

I would get the R1s with the adjustable rims and set them to the widest setting. Also adding liquid to the tires. This allows the option of iron weights if needed.

I noticed that you are getting the DT instead of a HST. If you were want to sale the tractor the HST will retain more of it's value.

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
I now live in Florida and had a MF 1528. It had R4 tires and it worked well for me on the flat land of Florida.

After my dad passed I took the tractor to SE Ohio to clean up my dad's place. The R4s were dangerous on the hills allowing the tractor to slide sideways. It took the 4 x 4 to do any work. This was in the summer and no mud in sight.

I would get the R1s with the adjustable rims and set them to the widest setting. Also adding liquid to the tires. This allows the option of iron weights if needed.

I noticed that you are getting the DT instead of a HST. If you were want to sale the tractor the HST will retain more of it's value.
I have put hours into researching gear vs HST transmission. You never know what is true. I have talked to so many mechanics, owners, etc. I just feel more comfortable with the gear drive. Less to go wrong.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...Less to go wrong.
Like the clutch wearing out? If you change the oil in a HST; it will last a whole lot longer. Don't get me wrong, the only reason I have a HST is the wife wanted to be able to drive it. I loved gear transmission.

The older I get and even when I was younger, I could do so much more work with the HST vs. gear AND not be dog tired at the end of the day. Gear shifting just sucks the life out of you. ....but you do you!

Mowing is really where HST stands out for maneuverability, easy direction changes. As is road building since you can crawl at a snail's pace to adjust the box blade until it's correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a L3901DT and went with the R1's for the traction. If you are going to be doing anything in the woods while it is wet, I think you would be better off with the R1's.

Plus, like someone else said, you can adjust the width without adding spacers.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
Old and Tired is right on the money. For your stated uses HST will be way more efficient and youll like it better. Who wants to shift gears all the time?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I find R4's to be ok going forward and back like in loader work, but slippery on side slopes such as wet grass. R3 turfs offer more traction under most condition with R1's the most especially in mud. I might pick R14's if I were deciding now.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I am ordering this model from a local dealer. Gear Drive. I own 20 acres. Bout 50/50 pasture/woods. A good portion is not level. I plan on building a gravel road, bush hogging, land cleanup. I still have not decided if it's worth the added expense of R4 tires. Any suggestions are appreciated.
L4701 have R4s great tire around house and yard where I mow and want grass to grow.If you need to get on muddy slop ground say to feed cattle or similar animals go Ag or R1 for sure.I’m in Western NC red clay dirt hard as concrete when dry and eel crap when wet.I’ve had my tractor in mud with BH 92 hoe on R4s got threw it of course 4x4 2wd not a chance.If your going plow snow or work on large step slopes R1 may be more suited but if you can stay off wet ground and operate tractor with some caution R4s could work for you also.