R1 or R4 Tires

retired65

May 30, 2020
Noodle, TX
Have an L3000F with R1 tires (5.00-15, 4PR) thinking of replacing the R1 with R4. Questions: Will I have to replace the rims also? Will the R4 tires affect my turning radius? Any input greatly appreciated.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
The R4's are wider so I believe new rims will be required.

The experts will soon be along to confirm or dispute the above.

Side note I like my R4's, minimal tracks in my yard unless wet and do find job in my garden. If I used my tractor a lot where wet then the R1's would be needed.

Good luck.

Jay

Deuce

Equipment
2016 B2650, 1977 B7100
Aug 8, 2015
New Jersey
Don't go R4 unless the tractor is being used to work job sites where it's being operated on hard pack. The performance is lack luster and probably not what you'd be hoping for

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Don't go R4 unless the tractor is being used to work job sites where it's being operated on hard pack. The performance is lack luster and probably not what you'd be hoping for
Agree totally. If you have been using ag tires and have any mud, you will be greatly disappointed with R4s when they fill up with mud, or even moist dirt, and turn into slicks....Not a good feeling on a slope when going up you suddenly start to slip backwards with no control...even with 4WD...yes been there recently...

Qcarbon

Equipment
L2501, grapple, pallet forks, box blade, bucket, root bucket
Feb 3, 2021
Saint Louis MO
I bought my L2501 new, this past early fall, with R4's. Had my doubts about the traction capability of that tread pattern from the moment I laid eyes on it at the dealer. My salesman said 99% of the tractors he sells come with R4's. Well today, I just picked up a set of R1's from him. For my tractor I had to get rims and tires.

Reactions: 1 user

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
R4s suck for any real tractor work. Dont do it. Cost me a lot of money to get the R4s replaced on my MX5200 with new rims and all.

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Have an L3000F with R1 tires (5.00-15, 4PR) thinking of replacing the R1 with R4. Questions: Will I have to replace the rims also? Will the R4 tires affect my turning radius? Any input greatly appreciated.
I believe R4s have different OEM rims on many models. I don’t know about yours.

I see lots of people on youtube doing lots of “tractor” work with R4s. I don’t think they are inherently bad, but it just depends on your application. I chose R4s since the ground on my ranch is hard almost all of the time, and they are simply a tougher strong tire.

Why do you want R1s? Are you planning on doing more mud work? For me, I’d just wait for a dry day. If you are worried about ice, chains are better than any R1s would ever be.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I believe R4s have different OEM rims on many models. I don’t know about yours.

I see lots of people on youtube doing lots of “tractor” work with R4s. I don’t think they are inherently bad, but it just depends on your application. I chose R4s since the ground on my ranch is hard almost all of the time, and they are simply a tougher strong tire.

Why do you want R1s? Are you planning on doing more mud work? For me, I’d just wait for a dry day. If you are worried about ice, chains are better than any R1s would ever be.
Point well taken!

My R4s are just fine until there is mud. OR wet/soft earth on a slope. Then they turn to slicks and not a happy situation.

In the end it depends on the OP's situation I suppose.

Reactions: 1 user

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Everyone has different conditions and needs, but my BX2670 came with R-4's and they SUCKED! I replaced them turfs and am much, much, much happier.

I often think everyone buys R-4's because that's what they push. That's why I did, there wasn't a different type of tire on the lot until it got to the higher horsepower models which came with real farm lugs.