quick disconnects in coolant for portable diesel coolant heater

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I got three small-ish diesel vehicles .. of which none would be used at same time.... so I would like to share one diesel fired coolant heater unit. via Tees in the appropriate hose with the free 3rd let leading to a quick connect hose. Would be done for both inlet and outlet of coolant to engine. I found them at McMaster Carr (see link).

any hints on potential issues such as creating air pockets orr??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Those fittings are way too small for coolant connections.
Keep looking, try race equipment for the right size fittings, but the last time I seen them they were VERY expensive.

And yes there is a air pocket issue if it's not done right.
And it really matters which engines your trying to do this with as not all diesel engines will tolerate / deal with air pockets the same way.
Adding an electric coolant pump might eliminate the air issue.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Not to discount your idea but would you not be better off with thermostatically controlled electric block/ crankcase or in line coolant heater (lower hose), which would eliminate the need for 6 sets of couplers, balancing valves, pump, hoses every where, concern about venting, etc. I'd mount the inlet plug, (see below) near to where you step onto the vehicle., to insure you don't leave with it plugged in (ask me how I know). As always do as you feel is best

Journeyman-Pro 5278 15 Amp 125 Volt, Flanged Inlet, Black Commercial Grade, 2 Pole-3 Wire, Straight Blade, Nema 5-15 (With Cover/Cap) - - Amazon.com