Questions about flail mowers

Ruskyhog

Jan 2, 2018
Wills Point, Texas
I’ve never had one, but have always had rotary mowers of varying sizes. I have some property I’m wanting to clean up and the drag mowers I have are either just a tad to big to make it where I need to go or it’s too much hassle to back up. So I’ve decided to either buy a 3 point mower or flail mower.
My main question is can you back up with a flail mower while it’s spinning? Or is forward the option?

Thanks
Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you can back up with them, get a three point model and not a tow behind model and you'll be real happy. ;)

Also If your going to use it to cut in rough brush make sure it comes with rough cut blades and not fine cut. :)

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I mowed with mine last night for the first time, (WoodMaxx with the side shift, don't have that hooked up yet so just in fixed position) just native grasses, not any kind of a lawn. As compared to my old brush hog it's much smoother and quieter in operation. Shorter coupled also, so more manuverable. By the time I remove the FEL off the L3301 (never done it, heard it's quick and easy to do) and with this flail mower, I will have a much better rig for getting in tight areas when I do my fire prevention work around the house, no lawn again just the native grass already there plus some volunteer alfalfa. My brush hog is 48" wide, this is 62", and with 4 swipes the extra width of cut really helped, no surprise I guess.

BUT, WoodMaxx has many disclaimers about running it while reversing! This surprised me, especially as the only reason they say NOT to is if there is anything you can't see and you hit it you can damage the unit. Duh.... no kidding. The disclaimers make it sound like some major mechanical problem will occur, unavoidable, making me think at first it was a basic design feature of flail mowers disallowing reverse ops. Correct me, all of you who flail while reversing, I want to walk on the wild side and not being able to reverse mow will be not so good. Otherwise I like it fine. More compact to store also BTW.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mine runs on skids and a roller to gauge the height, and sharp turns and backing on a rough surface might bend the 3 pt hitch, but when I want to do corners I lift it up a couple inches and back up. For brush I don't want to run the tractor over, I take several swipes at decreasing heights from the side. I have mine set up offset to the right.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
you have to lift it up, if i leave mine sitting down in reverse it will dig into the ground. However i have mine set very low. So your mileage will vary. i bought one and my neighbors all envy my flail vs the rotoary bush hog. :cool: