Question Regarding 50 Hour maintenance

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I got to thinking this past weekend about my 50 hour maintenance, which I plan to do myself on my L2501. I got this tractor in the first week of May this year, so Ive had it almost 7 months now. I do not check my oil level every single time I use the tractor like I think the manual suggests. I park it in a closed garage, on a cement floor and I figure if the oil was to leak down Id see it on the concrete. Anyways, I did check my oil this weekend. The level was right in the middle or so, on a cold check, but I noticed the oil is a dark brown color. Not a nice light/amber brown like I expected. It got me to thinking...At the rate I'm using the tractor It may be several many more months before I hit 50 hours - potentially a full year of ownership. Im just wondering if this is a bad thing? Im at 29 hours right now. During the summer months I hardly used it at all, but in the winter now Im starting to use it a lot more. Given my low hour usage would it be a good idea to do the 50 hour service early, or should I just follow the manual and go on toward 50 hours? I know with vehicles the recommendation is always "X number of miles or X number of months, whichever comes first" and I know oil over time loses its viscosity - I'm also now suspect of what this factory oil is in the machine. I just wonder if 30 hours is a sufficient break in period.

Also while I'm on the subject, the next oil and filter change listed in my manual after the 50 hour service is at 400 hours. That will be like 4-5 years for me probably. This will be a fairly low hour usage machine. Surely going that long on oil is a bad idea I'd think. Should I just plan to do it once a year in my scenario? HST Oil filter change after 50 hour is at 200 hours, so again like 2 years probably for me. Is 2 years ok on those? Im almost thinking I should just plan to change all these filters every single year, or maybe every 18 months or something, becuase if I go by the hour benchmarks Im afraid Ill have a lot of stuff sitting in this tractor for far too long.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I have an old Mitsubishi D2350. I change oil every spring regardless of use and it's BLACK!! I bought a new L2501 last summer. The oil on the dipstick is clear but I'll change oil and filter once a year on that as well. Perhaps it's overkill but I view it as cheap insurance. I'll probably change hydraulic fluid in the spring as well. After that - not sure. I may not go the recommended 400 hours between changes, though.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
My dealer recommends changing oil once a year with low hr usage I change real close to 50 hrs. I'm probably going to be 25 hours or so a year after this last summer playing. My low hours sticking with dino oil for couple hundred hours before thinking of synthetic.

''Original oil do these motors have break in oil from factory ? ,or off the shelf bottles at dealer ?

Last edited:

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I agree with the above posts. I would change every year, with low usage regardless of hours.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Original oil do these motors have break in oil from factory ? ,or off the shelf bottles at dealer ?
I wonder about this too. The oil in mine is dark colored - much darker than i'm used to seeing. Im not a mechanic so Im not sure what that suggests. This is why Ive felt like changing the oil now. Id just feel better with a good high quality oil in there. I may do it a little before 50 hours

Thanks for the replies all, I think I will do that- change the oil every year given my low hr usage. What about the Hydro oil and filters? is it ok to go longer on hydro oil and filter?

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tornado-

it’s been a while since I’ve looked at my operator’s manual, but if it says 400 hours for motor oil/filters, I’d be surprised.

Like the others, I do motor oil/filter annually, regardless of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
The change intervals after the first 50 are twice as long for the hydro oil as the engine oil, so I've been changing the hydro every 2.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Diesel engine oil will not stay the tan color like a gasoline engine. You should not worry about the color of the oil unless it turns milky. The oil will not go bad from what I understand but it may become contaminated with moisture due to the short run times that low hours would indicate. Hence an annual oil change would seam to be in your best interest.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Doesn't matter if you're using cheap junk from Wally world or the best synthetic oil on the market it needs to be changed once a year no matter how little it's used.

When you get right down to it sitting is harder on one than daily used equipment.