Question for those with zero turn mowers, and maybe BX tractors. Melted dust ejector.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I am not sure how many have experienced this, but I bought a Kubota ZD1011 zero turn diesel mower late last year. I think I have about 25 hours on it, maybe a touch more. I noticed the time before last of using it, the Dust Ejector on the air filter housing was deformed. It was looking like it was melting, but still had some form to it. I used the mower again a few days ago and when I parked it, I lifted the hood and noticed the dust ejector was basically completely melted and was started to resemble bubble gum. So, I stopped at the dealer today to pick up a couple of things and inquire about the part. The service guy at the desk said they had that part. I asked if it would be covered under warranty and he sent me to another fellow down the hall and that person told me no. He seemed very familiar with the part melting and I asked him if the replacement part is made from a tougher material and he said it was exactly the same. I told him, "I would not mind buying a replacement, but really, is this the best Kubota can do......making a part that won't last a few cuttings?" The dust ejector part is a bit over $8.00. I told him that is gonna add up after a while. He did not have much to say, but I think it is a bit ridiculous that this part will be melting with such high frequency.

I think I found an alternative manufacturer that has one made of black rubber, but more expensive and unsure of longevity as well. I find it unusual the one on my L2501 is a black rubber material and this one is a soft gray silicone type rubber. The one on my tractor is smaller diameter.

So, have others experienced this?. And. if so, what did you do? I will wait and see how well the new part holds up. Maybe it will last longer. Below is a picture of the melted one and 2 of the new one installed.

20210624_212436-1.jpg

20210624_155425.jpg
20210624_155431.jpg

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Yes, the Donaldson brand filter housing "duck bills" don't hold up, I have three and keep spares in stock. Where did you find the silicone ones?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Sounds as if the hood is holding to much heat & needs to be removed so engine can operate cooler!!

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Yes, the Donaldson brand filter housing "duck bills" don't hold up, I have three and keep spares in stock. Where did you find the silicone ones?
The new one is a Kubota brand replacement. I should not have said it was silicone, as I really don't know what the material is. Reading on another forum, another person said Donaldson makes one that fits instead of Kubota's replacement. Donaldson Part #: P617632 Tube diameter is 1.57" (40mm) It appears to be a bit different and a black rubber material.

Sounds as if the hood is holding to much heat & needs to be removed so engine can operate cooler!!
Yeah, I thought that too. :) The engine is running at correct temp on gauge at least. The part that is melting is near the radiator, which I'm sure is not helping.

I will see how this new one holds up. Not very long I am going to guess.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
The dust ejector on my ZD1011 actually started tearing and the dust ejector on my Bobcat S250 was disintegrating. I had ordered one for the ZD1011 and ended up using it on the Bobcat - ordered another one for the ZD1011 when it finally tore apart. So far so good on both of them with this dust ejector from Kumar Bros. - Kumar Bros Dust Ejector

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
The dust ejector on my ZD1011 actually started tearing and the dust ejector on my Bobcat S250 was disintegrating. I had ordered one for the ZD1011 and ended up using it on the Bobcat - ordered another one for the ZD1011 when it finally tore apart. So far so good on both of them with this dust ejector from Kumar Bros. - Kumar Bros Dust Ejector
I appreciate you letting me know that. When looking for alternatives, I saw those on Amazon and was unsure of the quality, and reviews on there cannot be trusted. When I need to replace mine, I will probably try one of those.