Question for those that use a front loader mounted snow pusher on uneven dirt trails

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Quick question for the folks that use a front mounted snow pusher on surfaces other than blacktop or concrete.
Can your normally put the loader in float position with the curl function keeping the skids basically flat on the ground and push away or must you constantly still feather the loader arms to get good results?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That would depend on if the ground under the snow
Is it solid
Is it flat

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
There is enough weight on those narrow skid shoes to push them deep in the dirt unless the ground is thoroughly frozen.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
That would depend on if the ground under the snow
Is it solid
Is it flat
i would say solid after early Dec and flat and level in portions of the trail, some hills and undulations in others. I am trying to get a feel for how much input on the loader arms I will need as I traverse. I know it’s a very tough question to answer. I am considering a pusher or a back blade for next seasons snow removal at my recreation land.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea most pushers don't do well on uneven terrain.
And they don't really do well on trails if you don't have room to push off fairly straight.
If I have trails or curved roads a adjustable V plow is a the way to go as you can do both push and plow with it, and it will trip if it digs into something along the way.
A pusher doesn't trip the same way and can be quite the pain if it keeps tripping the trip edge.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Yea most pushers don't do well on uneven terrain.
And they don't really do well on trails if you don't have room to push off fairly straight.
If I have trails or curved roads a adjustable V plow is a the way to go as you can do both push and plow with it, and it will trip if it digs into something along the way.
A pusher doesn't trip the same way and can be quite the pain if it keeps tripping the trip edge.
Solid advice. I do have a third function which would allow running a v plow or straight plow with hydraulic angle. Just not sure I want the added expense compared to a pusher . I might look for a proper sized back blade and give that a try first. Keeping my trails open to my Jeep is not imperative but more to keep my sanity and ward off cabin fever! Lol 😀

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Related but not on a FEL frame. My plow is a bolt to frame plow blade.
If the ground is soft the shoes will dig in and cause the blade to tip down which puts the bottom edge in direct contact with the soft ground. This tends to rip up any gravel or grass.
It helps to set the plow trip springs tighter but that adds a different problem depending on what you are plowing. I let my plow float but keep a hand on the controls to lift as fast as I can if the plow starts to dig.
Every spring I hand shovel, rake, and plant seed where I screwed up. I real good backpack blower to move the gravel back to the drive.
Side note: It helps to have a really understanding spouse come spring !

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It sounds like you've made a lot of 'JEEP trails'....for your JEEP, so why not just buy a V-plow for your JEEP ?
There's no way I'd be trying to drive an open cabbed small tractor with any front blade through JEEP trails in winter. A V-plow with long 'ski' shoes NOT the 'disks',set 3-4" off the ground,set to float would make the task easy, in a nice warm JEEP !

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think a bucket would be a better choice. Tilt it up in up, and put it in float. The bucket has an angle at the back of the bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
It sounds like you've made a lot of 'JEEP trails'....for your JEEP, so why not just buy a V-plow for your JEEP ?
There's no way I'd be trying to drive an open cabbed small tractor with any front blade through JEEP trails in winter. A V-plow with long 'ski' shoes NOT the 'disks',set 3-4" off the ground,set to float would make the task easy, in a nice warm JEEP !
My Jeep Cherokee is 21 years old and starting to show its age with salt being the culprit here. Not sure how long I will keep it. I actually really enjoy the open station on the tractor in the cold months. I am set on setting the tractor up , just not sure which route I will take but thanks for your input! :)

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I think a bucket would be a better choice. Tilt it up in up, and put it in float. The bucket has an angle at the back of the bucket.
Thank you for the reply! I played around with the bucket for quite a bit , float, no float, tilting, back dragging and I just never got the hang of being able to move the snow in any kind of a efficient way. A lot of that has to do with me using hand controls for my hydro forward and reverse. I use my left hand for that, which means I either have to let go of the steering wheel and reach over or come to a stop to make my bucket/loader adjustments. Hence the reason I was wondering if a pusher in float would have worked.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
brr...you ENJOY the open cab ??? you're a lot younger than me then !!!
I'd think a V-ee plow, in float would be the best choice. You might be able to bodge a wooden mockup of one, attach to bucket and test drive it
Since the trail is uneven long 'skis' instead of short shoes would keep plow from digging in.
If the plow is heavy enough and speed is just right, 'float' will allow the plow to follow the trail and push the snow off of it. if you go too fast, bucket will rise up and not 'fall' down fast. Worse in cold weather as oil is 'thick'.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Solid advice. I do have a third function which would allow running a v plow or straight plow with hydraulic angle. Just not sure I want the added expense compared to a pusher . I might look for a proper sized back blade and give that a try first. Keeping my trails open to my Jeep is not imperative but more to keep my sanity and ward off cabin fever! Lol 😀
I would try a back blade turned backwards so it does not dig, low cost and useful for a lot of things. If you don’t like it, sell it, won’t be hard.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Related but not on a FEL frame. My plow is a bolt to frame plow blade.
If the ground is soft the shoes will dig in and cause the blade to tip down which puts the bottom edge in direct contact with the soft ground. This tends to rip up any gravel or grass.
It helps to set the plow trip springs tighter but that adds a different problem depending on what you are plowing. I let my plow float but keep a hand on the controls to lift as fast as I can if the plow starts to dig.
Every spring I hand shovel, rake, and plant seed where I screwed up. I real good backpack blower to move the gravel back to the drive.
Side note: It helps to have a really understanding spouse come spring !
That is about as rare as hen teeth!!!! :rolleyes:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I keep thinking about this... and really a back blade, angled to one side is probably the best.
Just WHERE will the front mounted 'pusher' actually PUSH the snow ? You have to get the snow OFF the trail, and a rear blade seems best for this task Put the tractor in 1st, blade down and left, drive the trail and it's cleared. Maybe a 2nd pass, this time angled to the right ,if needed.

You could ask what snowmobile trail groomers use !! They're probably the experts at it !

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
some famous but STUPID hollyweird guy (?) ran over himself with one of those month ago.... didn't set that front PARKING brake before shutting off the machine..... idiot...

friend on mine drove one for years,his winter job...summer he drove very heavy earth movers.