Question for those of you who have made a homemade barrel/concrete ballast

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I've put my links and such together and added the concrete. I'm just not sure how long to wait before I lift it. I've read everything from 2 days to a month. So how long did you wait and did you have any issues?

Thanks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Concrete 'cures' in 30 days, more or less.
basement wall forms are removed after 24-48 hrs.
You can walk on it after 24hrs
Pads are 'stress cut ' within 2-3 days
I'd wait 2 days,then again I've been retired 30+ years...

Reactions: 1 users

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I've put my links and such together and added the concrete. I'm just not sure how long to wait before I lift it. I've read everything from 2 days to a month. So how long did you wait and did you have any issues?

Thanks.
I used to own a precast concrete business. We would pick up 10 ton panels 12 hours after we poured it. I depends on how good the concrete is and if you have proper rebar in it. Concrete is good in compression, rebar is good in tension.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Thanks.
Concrete develops 75% strength after 7 days.
I would consider waiting 7 days, but 3 days or even less, should be satisfactory for a ballast weight.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'd love to go test it out in the morning but I'll be patient and wait until the weekend. My real concern is that I don't know much about reinforcing concrete so I pretty much guessed using scrap rebar I had around and the all thread I used to attach things together. I'll definitely check back if it falls apart. 😄

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The company I worked for poured concrete light bases measuring up to 24" diameter X 9'-6" tall in plastic forms in the shop. They were poured first thing in the morning and stripped by lunch. The portion that stuck out of the ground after they were hauled to the jobsites and planted was given a rubbed finish before the end of each day.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I'm not getting the point of the question. I'm sure I'm missing something. If it's in a barrel, what does the cure time matter?

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I'm not getting the point of the question. I'm sure I'm missing something. If it's in a barrel, what does the cure time matter?
It might not matter. My question alone is pretty much admitting that I don't know.

I know that concrete can take massive compression. But that isn't how this is going to be used. In this case 700 lbs gets bounced around on a single metal bar through the concrete. I feel like if I used it too soon there's a fair chance of it breaking at that draw bar. I was just asking how long other people waited.

This part isn't really important but my limited knowledge about this comes from watching a team reinforce a floor and how long they waited before installing a motion flight simulator. That's massive sheer force and certainly doesn't go on a normal slab. My bucket of concrete is definitely not like that but it is sheer force, not compression, so I was curious what others thought.

1660660317564.png

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Ah, so your support is the bar through the concrete, rather than being attached to the barrel itself?

That would certainly make a big difference. I have seen pics of a frame welded to the barrel, and then the barrel is just filled with concrete. I can't see it making much difference in that case.

Your arrangement is probably simpler.

Thanks for explaining! (y)

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Ah, so your support is the bar through the concrete, rather than being attached to the barrel itself?

That would certainly make a big difference. I have seen pics of a frame welded to the barrel, and then the barrel is just filled with concrete. I can't see it making much difference in that case.

Your arrangement is probably simpler.

Thanks for explaining! (y)
Ah yes, now I get your confusion. I really should have included that the barrel is made of plastic. :LOL:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Ah yes, now I get your confusion. I really should have included that the barrel is made of plastic. :LOL:

Datt doo make a difference! :D

I think I may have found a simpler solution. More importantly, it may be more versatile. I was responding to another thread and it hit me - a carryall and an IBC tote would make a great ballast, and the weight is adjustable.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The tote/carryall may be simpler, but it is also much larger and sometimes space behind a machine in at a premium.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Datt doo make a difference! :D

I think I may have found a simpler solution. More importantly, it may be more versatile. I was responding to another thread and it hit me - a carryall and an IBC tote would make a great ballast, and the weight is adjustable.
That is definitely a more versatile solution. Mine is pretty much a bottom-dollar answer. I bought the barrel for $20, the draw bar for $25 and about the same for the top link bracket. I have more in concrete than all the hardware.

One of those carryalls would sure be nice to have around though.

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
So here's the end product. Worked like a charm other than swaying back and forth a little and there's an easy fix for that.
PXL_20220820_174346776.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Here's an old photo of the one counter weight I used. The orange frame I welded, fits the 55 gallon drum and I added a strap to secure the drum. I used the frame for a sprayer and a carry all (that I could set down anywhere).

I ended up getting a frame to permanently mounting the 55 gallon drum to. Also, added a manhole cover to the top of the drum (perfect fit) and removing the PVC pipes that used to filled with water... (no photos, but may try to add after labor day...)

The drum was filled with old concrete that was waste.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users