Question for L3200HST owners

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
How much weight do you carry and do you find yourself wanting more power?

I'll be mounting a Woods BH80-X backhoe onto either an L3200 or L3800 for doing clearing/dirt work. With a loader, of course. This equipment adds a fair bit of weight to a machine, to say the least.

I'm new to HST; will the L3200HST get around ok with this much iron hanging off it or will I be better off with an L3800? Bear in mind that the weight will go up even more when transporting dirt or stone in the bucket.

I drove an L3800HST today for the first time. I now realize that HST needs the engine spinning 2-2500 rpm to work well. However, even at those RPM's I could hear the engine working and rpms going down when I went up a slight incline, in medium range. This was on a tractor with no other equipment mounted. This got me a little concerned about how well an L3200HSTwould perform with a loader and hoe mounted.

I'd like to do this with no regrets... no regrets about spending the extra money (L3800), or no regrets about NOT spending the money (L3200).

(Bluegill, I already know your answer! :D)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You already have a L2800DT. Horsepower of the 3200HST is about the same. If you aren't having HP problems with the 2800, you probably won't with the 3200. The 3800 will allow you to turn a bigger mower, cultivate with a bigger tiller, and maybe pull a bigger plow through the ground. Your traction will not improve, however.
I'm delighted with my 3200. It replaced an old L185DT, and is about twice the tractor by almost any measure. I'm still using the same old 5' bushhog, 6' Rhino blade and 42" tiller, however.
If you felt you needed a bigger tractor, look at the L3800, but consider the L4400, or one of the Lnn40 series - they are real tractors. In all but horsepower, the L3800 is pretty much what you have already.

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure you meant to say that that the L3200 is
is pretty much what you have already.
Oh, I agree. PTO HP wise, it's a bit more than I have already, which is good.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but my concern was the weight of the equipment + HST + available HP.

Again, the L3800HST I drove seemed to bog noticeably in medium range. Adding 3,000+lbs. to the machine (BH, loader, full loader bucket)(maybe loaded tires) has me wondering if I'll be wishing for more juice than what the L3200 provides.

I was always happy with the HP of my L2800. It never had any problem hauling the extra weight. But the HST is such a different creature....:confused:

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
HST takes getting used to. Not that you have to compromise, but that learning how to operate it effeciently takes time. When I got my first HST, a Wheel Horse, I tended to want to push harder on the pedal going up inclines- my brain thought that pushing the pedal compensated for the load. But, it acutally imposes more load, because you are calling for the tractor to go faster, while it is incuring more load. Keep the pedal in the same position as you climb, or even back off a little, and you will maintain or increase the climbing power.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
About $1500. When you put it that way, I guess it is a no-brainer. :eek:
Or, you can take that same $1500 and buy some other items.

I have the L3200hst and faced the same delema. I find the L3200hst is fine for everything except for in high range on hills, it does slow down a bit. Since I have a truck for driving on road, and have only one field and am not going from field to field, it works for me.

I do have the loader, filled rears and ballast box. I am also on the heavy side (read fat). So while I do not have a backhoe (excavators make much better backhoes, and I will never have a tractor again for primary use of a backhoe) I am fairly heavy.

ON the flip side, the L3200 does have slightly higher hydralic flow than the L3800, and may use a bit less fuel.

But if you need more PTO horsepower, then the L3800 makes more sense.

With either one, you can't go wrong though! They are all orange!

David

Last edited:

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
I think that's the bottom line. ;)

I'm opting for the extra 6hp, just to be on the safe side.

dmanlyr, thanks for your input. I did notice the slight increase in hydraulics on the L3200. I just want enough power, when I want it!

Bluegill took that position from the beginning.... :D

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
You can't beat the power if you need it.

I always find myself running out of lift capacity on the loaders well before I run out of horsepower. But then I have to drive a bit slower as my back no longer can take rough riding...

And I have to admit, I am using my equipment more for property work and maint than field or farm use. So to me, loader lift capacity and slow speed crawling traction means a lot, as well as quick back and forth loading operation (HST makes this nice when moving from pile to truck) None of which requires full throttle operation, and all can be done quite effectivly in low range so the ground is not torn to pieces.

David

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I think that's the bottom line. ;)

I'm opting for the extra 6hp, just to be on the safe side.

dmanlyr, thanks for your input. I did notice the slight increase in hydraulics on the L3200. I just want enough power, when I want it!

Bluegill took that position from the beginning.... :D
The bottom line is a big part of the big picture. :cool:

Over the years, I've found it better and not that much more expensive to go with the highest HP in the same size class. This is with tractors, chainsaws and outboard motors mostly.

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
The bottom line is a big part of the big picture. :cool:

Over the years, I've found it better and not that much more expensive to go with the highest HP in the same size class. This is with tractors, chainsaws and outboard motors mostly.
I try to think in terms of efficiency; what is the right tool for the job.

I like my chain saws just big enough. I run an 026 with an 18" bar and an 028 Super with a 20" bar. These have a very good power to weight ratio and I can work with them all day without too much wear and tear on myself. Not too bad on fuel, either.

Outboards? I think the newer 4-strokes have their place. I prefer a displacement or semi-displacement hull over a deep-v any day, all due to efficiency; I'd rather slide through it with less noise and fuel usage than slam through it with a screaming motor. I enjoy the ocean and the bays a lot more that way.

I was taking a similar approach with a new tractor; since they are all a compromise, I wanted to make sure it had enough power to do MY work, but not have more than I really needed. After trying one out and reading many responses on this and other forums, I believe that your suggestion was the best fit.

Are you running a backhoe on your L3800? Are you doing much loader work? I'm curious about how this machine is working out for you so far.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA

I like my chain saws just big enough. I run an 026 with an 18" bar and an 028 Super with a 20" bar. These have a very good power to weight ratio and I can work with them all day without too much wear and tear on myself. Not too bad on fuel, either.

Outboards? I think the newer 4-strokes have their place. I prefer a displacement or semi-displacement hull over a deep-v any day, all due to efficiency; I'd rather slide through it with less noise and fuel usage than slam through it with a screaming motor. I enjoy the ocean and the bays a lot more that way.

I was taking a similar approach with a new tractor; since they are all a compromise, I wanted to make sure it had enough power to do MY work, but not have more than I really needed. After trying one out and reading many responses on this and other forums, I believe that your suggestion was the best fit.

Are you running a backhoe on your L3800? Are you doing much loader work? I'm curious about how this machine is working out for you so far.
While I understand you are not asking me this directly, I can share some loader thoughts...

I moved up from a BX25 TLB that I bought new last year. I had 180 hours on it in a year. The BX worked very well for what it was, but it just was too small and slow for the work and job I needed to do, and the lack of a three range HST was a real limitation.

In the last year I also had a Thomas skid steer 153 that I put a little over 100 hours on, and a short term lease on a TB135 excavator that I put almost 400 hrs on. So I had a bit of seat time in the last year. The Thomas I sold and the excavator went back.

I have not had the L3200 very long, but this is the machine that I should have bought to begain with. The loader still does not have enough capacity for me, I have the QA so I use pallet forks quite often and find myself running up against the hydralic limitations quite often.

I guess I am like others on here who can't have enough horsepower, but instead its lift and height capacity for me!!! :)

That said, in pure loader operations, with a 66" QA light bucket it does very well. With the HD 60" QA bucket it does even better in scraping operations. Lots of traction. I have the filled rear tires and a ballast box. It was way too light with only filled tires in loader operation, so figure a ballast box or backhoe for more weight.

I expect the L3200 to be with me for some time. I had looked at a lower horsepower M series, only for the loader capacity and lift height though.

The loader on the L3200 is still a little low to load my five yard dump truck though, although I knew that going in, and at least it can load somewhat in comparison to the BX which was more akin to a great dane and chihuahua match up!

I see that the BH77 is about 7-8k and is only offererd with a manualy adjustable thumb, to me I would rather put that towards a much more useful mini excavator, but that again is my preference.

David

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri

Chainsaws; I use as small and light a saw as I can get the job done with, but I like power. Husqvarna 346XP is my favorite, this saw cuts faster than most sub-60cc saws, but is smaller and lighter as well. I'm a saw nut and have too many saws! But that's another story...:)

Outboards; When I look at say, 30, 35 and 40 HP motors from one brand and they are built on the same model and weigh about the same. I'll go with the 40 and have found this to be more efficient for me in the long run. I had a 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha a few years ago, that was the quietest, smoothest outboard I've ever run. Loved that rig, but sold it because I didn't have any big water close by. I now have a light weight 17' flat bottom jon with a 20hp Merc Jet (25hp power head). Smallest, lightest Jet made. Works great in these rocky, shallow Ozark rivers close by here.

No backhoe on mine, but do a fair bit of loader work. Mostly moving gravel around. We have a mile long drive way and it's mostly all uphill, we live in a valley. A good rain will usually make a lot of tractor work for me, loader and box blade, but I will put more hours in mowing than anything else. The extra HP is nice when pulling a box blade full of gravel up the stepper parts of our drive. I love this L3800 and could have easily bought a larger, or a Grand L, but I really like the size and simplicity of the 3800.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Homefront, this just goes to show why companies make so many diff models that overlap, or seem too close to each other. Something for everyone. :)

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket
Just my .02$.
Your problem with the L3800HST and bogging down in mid range rpm is not so much the results of the HP of the L3800 but the HST. I chose a shuttle shift L3800 because of the deficiencies of the HST and do not experience the problem you are referencing. How ever in this day and age most people don't want to be bothered with gears and want an automatic style transmission. Each one has it's pro's and con's. To me the shuttle shift is the practical way to go but you will find most folks will disagree with me. Then again I drive a 6 speed standard diesel truck. I just prefer gears over fluid for propulsion.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i left my backhoe on for ballast, when moving logs with my L3200 hst
in several situations i used the backhoe with a chain to pull a log out of brush, so i could lift it with the fel forks..
ps: i added some steel reinforcement to the forks as the first set of forks broke from the weight i was lifting.
also had my rear tires loaded with 75% water