Question about thread deletion/ locking

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Ive noticed that some threads get locked and others deleted entirely. Why is that? The threads that get locked allow others to still read and even give an approval "like/dislike" on a particular post.
But then others just disappear. Wondering what the reason is for this, just curious.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess.

Some threads adhere mostly to the subject matter, don't stray too far off or contain forbidden content. I.E. A thread (for one reason or another) needs to be stopped...but the thread as a whole is worth saving, so ends up 'Locked".

Conversely, another thread might be so saturated with 'problems' that deleting it outright is the best thing to do. It takes time to edit or delete posts and leave others. It takes time to contact and correct the actions of one or more members if/when they get too far out of line.

MOD's are busy enough as is. I can see instances where just deleting the entire thread addresses both issues (rids the forum of unsavory posts and sends a message to all).

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't know about this site, but on most sites, if the moderator agrees with the content/proof, but it's off limits, they lock it. If the moderator disagrees with the content/proof, they delete it.

Just part of what goes on in internet forums. Not all moderators agree with each other on each site, so there is some variability.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Maybe a moderator could weigh in with a more authoritative answer. I’ve seen two types of threads deleted: One was about illegally deleting emission controls (maybe a bad idea to discuss illegal activities on a public forum); another the OP requested delete after regretting starting the thread detailing an incident that damaged their tractor and they may or may not have been entirely honest with their insurance carrier.

Threads seem to get locked when they’ve run their course and have devolved into pointless sniping and trading of insults that add nothing to what may have started as a useful debate. The whole thread isn’t bad, it just swerved off course with no hope of returning to constructive discourse.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Flintknapper, and NCL4701 both said it pretty well. ;)