Question About HST Linked Pedal and Regens

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Hey, I'm getting a new Kioti CK3510SE HST next week. This will be my first tractor requiring DPF for tier 4 emissions. I've tried to do a little homework on the regen stuff, seems pretty straightforward, when a regen kicks in you just keep working and let it run its course is what I basically gather. From some of the stuff I've read another takeaway I've had is that the more you run your tractor at higher RPM's the better. If what I'm thinking is wrong I hope someone will set me straight.

So with this being said, the Kioti has what they call a linked transmission switch that links the HST pedal with the throttle, so the RPM's will rise and fall with the HST pedal. So you push the pedal to move forward and the RPM's rise, like driving a car.

My question is, has anyone seen that this would make for more frequent or dirtier regens? If the hotter you run the tractor the cleaner it runs, I would think that even for loader work it would be better to just rev up to WOT and do your work. I know it would burn more diesel but wouldn't that be cleaner or better for the tractor? Or does it not matter, I assume they did a lot of testing before implementing features like this so they know what they're doing and I don't know jack, it just *seemed* counter intuitive. Again, please correct me on my ideas that I've got wrong.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey, I'm getting a new Kioti CK3510SE HST next week. This will be my first tractor requiring DPF for tier 4 emissions. I've tried to do a little homework on the regen stuff, seems pretty straightforward, when a regen kicks in you just keep working and let it run its course is what I basically gather. From some of the stuff I've read another takeaway I've had is that the more you run your tractor at higher RPM's the better. If what I'm thinking is wrong I hope someone will set me straight.

So with this being said, the Kioti has what they call a linked transmission switch that links the HST pedal with the throttle, so the RPM's will rise and fall with the HST pedal. So you push the pedal to move forward and the RPM's rise, like driving a car.

My question is, has anyone seen that this would make for more frequent or dirtier regens? If the hotter you run the tractor the cleaner it runs, I would think that even for loader work it would be better to just rev up to WOT and do your work. I know it would burn more diesel but wouldn't that be cleaner or better for the tractor? Or does it not matter, I assume they did a lot of testing before implementing features like this so they know what they're doing and I don't know jack, it just *seemed* counter intuitive. Again, please correct me on my ideas that I've got wrong.
Kubota has so-called Auto Throttle Advance on the grand L series. This is electronic and can be turned on/off.

Not familiar with the Kioti system but the term "linked" suggests mechanical connection which may or may not be selectable.

Suggest following instructions in your Operator's Manual.

SDT

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
Kubota has so-called Auto Throttle Advance on the grand L series. This is electronic and can be turned on/off.

Not familiar with the Kioti system but the term "linked" suggests mechanical connection which may or may not be selectable.

Suggest following instructions in your Operator's Manual.

SDT
Thanks, I'll definitely follow the manual, I was more or less wondering about the idea of spending a fair amount of time running the tractor at lower rpm's and how it would affect the regen frequency. I know it's the wrong orange but I thought I'd seen Kioti posts on here in the past and I figured the principle would be the same across different makes. I guess it's a non-issue. I'm not doubting that the manufacturer would know the best way to operate the equipment they make.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd assume linked means when you push on the pedal it's increasing throttle/revs. When I use the loader, I push on the pedal to go into the pile, then press on it to reverse, then press on it to take my dirt where I want it. The tractor isn't spending much time at low RPMs. I think the thing that matters is keeping the DPF hot. So long as the tractor's working and the revs are going up and down, I think the DPF will stay hot enough.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I use auto throttle most of the time. It’s so much quieter and intuitive and smooth. I disengage it when using ground implements. I have 287 hrs on the machine and have done 6 regens so far. Got it 14 months ago. From what I read somewhere around 50 hrs/regen is in the ballpark.

It’s a great feature, use it.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Don't worry about regens. Just let them happen. Yes, low RPM usage will make them occur more frequently. You aren't hurting your tractor by using the linked throttle operation. When a regen needs to happen, the tractor will probably force you to throttle up anyway. Diesel engines have been doing regens for well over a decade now, and it really is no problem.