Put a 'Harley' horn on my 'BX

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Was bored so yesterday I started this install. Took a leftover horn from my old Harley Davidson Road King (works fine, but I replaced it last year...now collecting dust) and put it up under the hood by the right front headlight. No wiring. Just put it there to see if it'd melt.

Snowblowed this morning for an hour...didn't melt the mostly plastic horn, so after lunch I wired it up direct to the battery w/ a small 10A car fuse.(I might go to a 5A fuse...I couldn't remember what it drew for current, so stayed with a 10A for the moment)

I am still a little worried :rolleyes: about melting in the summer. (It's a breezy and snowy 10*F/-12*C here today so not a good 'heat' test day)
With the hood/bonnet closed it sits kinda ahead of and above the exhaust manifold. Maybe I am OK.
I'll surely know in the summer when I start mowing !

Don't want to show my button installation as it's kinda Mickey-Moused 🐭 for the moment, but I located it to the right of the ignition and pointed outwards, to the right....not towards the operator like would be intuitive. Reason being, if I decide to remove it, or put in a bigger pushbutton, I wanted the room to do so and there was lots of real estate right on the outside corner of the dash. I covered the metal pushbutton with the fingertip cut from a purple nitrile glove and zip-tied it on there. Now you know why I don't want to show a picture of it. ;) I need a better 'horn' label and I am looking for a screw on rubber weatherproof cap...kinda like a primer bulb on a weedeater. They must be out there.

It's plenty loud (103dB :oops: IIRC, when I last measured it on the bike) and it's aimed nearly straight out the front of the tractor below the right front headlight, angled down ever so slightly (so as not to collect rain, dust, bugs, grass or snow that might enter the grille area).

I've only needed a horn maybe 2-3 times in the last 6-7 months, but it sure beats yelling ! 🤬

Here's a poor cell phone pic of the Harley horn on a small bracket.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
That BX runs a lot cooler than most Harleys do on a hot summer day in town it should be ok.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
now your BX will develop a tendency to leak oil...... LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yeah I doubt you are going to melt it.

I do gotta laugh though, wondering why I would ever need a horn on my tractor…maybe when my son cuts me off in his go cart 🤣

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
FYI ! Harleys DO NOT LEAK oil,,, they mark their terriority

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I used a horn button like this. Got a good quality one from a boating supply.

A horn is really handy when you're out working a tractor. Notifying an animal to get going, or a helper to move something or open a gate, or receive instructions.

1641268298379.png

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I use that same button for both the horn button & brake light switch for my EZGO Turf Truck, and that is why I some spares on hand, one of which I also used for a new glow plug switch on my excavator.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I used a horn button like this. Got a good quality one from a boating supply.

A horn is really handy when you're out working a tractor. Notifying an animal to get going, or a helper to move something or open a gate, or receive instructions.

View attachment 72765
I wish I had helpers or animals that needed encouragement!

LOL

BUT in some cases I am sure you are right, D2Cat....

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Some great replies fellas. Some very funny!

(always more funny when true, LOL!_)

Vrooooom, vrooooom

🏍 + 🚜

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I've only needed a horn maybe 2-3 times in the last 6-7 months, but it sure beats yelling ! 🤬
=== ===
I want an ah-oo-ga horn... A good one is in the $100 range... I don't know about NB, but here in upper BC, more than several times I have surprised bears sleeping in the tall grass and sun who tried to hunker down until I passed it seems.. I want to give them as terrible a fright as possible....

mwemaxxowner

Equipment
BX1880
Apr 14, 2021
Pageland, SC
My golf cart has a nice loud horn on it. I've been wanting to add something similar to my tractor. I have been meaning to study what's on the golf cart so I can duplicate it (I didn't put it on there).

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
My golf cart has a nice loud horn on it. I've been wanting to add something similar to my tractor. I have been meaning to study what's on the golf cart so I can duplicate it (I didn't put it on there).
For $20 it's hard to go wrong. This is what I replaced the Harley's horn with. They measured within about 3dB of one another with a proper measuring device I use at work. The newer Fiamm had the edge, so that went on the 'bike and the old Harley horn went on the BX. This link is for Canadians, but I am sure Harbour Freight or some similar stores sell a comparible horn.
Princess Auto Fiamm Horn 120dB

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
^^^ This. 👍

People ignore the drone of the tractor after a while. The horn gets their attention, then you can use hand-signals.