Push me off the ledge

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Went to the dealer and drove a BX2380 around the parking lot. My concern of the treadle pedal was not really an issue.

I've got a line on used RCK60B mower deck with all the BX attachment links + shaft. That deck was from a 50 series, but, the linkages look exactly the same to my eye -- dealer is confirming there's no issue mating them.

Definitely considering the quick-attach option for the loader.

I've not driven a 1025R but, just looking at them in person doesn't give me confidence in the overall build quality of the Deere -- just feels like all the plastic bits are going to break from normal usage.

I've been scouring the used market for a couple of weeks, and I'm in shock w/ how much value is retained on a 5+ year old SCUT. I think I'd rather have the piece of mind that a 6 yr warranty provides.

Haven't talked price yet -- anyone have pointers for current rebates or incentives to leverage?

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
When I was tractor shopping last year, the warranty, 0% financing, dealer location, plus I liked how the backhoe and loader worked on the Kubota over the other brands I looked at. The Kubota dealer was also the only “no push” sales attitude I dealt with, the mahindra dealer didn’t know a thing about the tractor I was interested in, the kioti dealer didn’t return my calls, MF was good to deal with but I likes the 23s more, JD was just too far away for dealer support.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How big is your property? The JD1025R is a bit more capable, the BX a bit smaller. If you're looking for the smallest "real tractor" you can get, the BX is it. At the same price, the JD is arguably a bit more tractor. But often the JD is a bit more expensive than the BX, and the B2601 is a similar price. The B2601 is a much better tractor than the JD1025R. So it depends what you want to do with the machine ultimately.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I would go Kubota all the way. The quality of the small Deere's doesn't even compare. I volunteer where they bought a new 1025r last year. MMM and front blower. The mower deck is cheap compared to Kubota's and it had to go back twice for warranty work....mower deck would not lift and the 2nd time it went in the pto would not engage when needed. I just bought a new Kubota, because the e series Deere is way less tractor than the L series Kubota...just sayin.

Reactions: 4 users

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
How big is your property? The JD1025R is a bit more capable, the BX a bit smaller. If you're looking for the smallest "real tractor" you can get, the BX is it. At the same price, the JD is arguably a bit more tractor. ...
Nothing in my price range will lift a 2000# feed tote off a truck bed and move it into the barn. So, with that off the task list, that leaves: turning the compost piles, mowing several acres of pasture (including up/down a steep hill), post-hole digging, and light-duty landscape work.

I'd be shocked if I put more than 30 hours per year on it -- I really don't think I need bigger and/or more capable.

Looks like my out-the-door price for a 2380 is about $1k less than the equivalently configured 1025R. All things considered, the most unbiased difference I can arrive at is that $1K get's you 3-400# more lift out of the loader -- it's not worth it to me.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
"Nothing in my price range will lift a 2000# feed tote off a truck bed and move it into the barn."

Could you buy a small utility trailer to haul the feed sacks on and back it into the barn. That would be more cost effective in the long run vs a larger tractor with more lift. And backing with the tractor would be a piece of cake vs backing it in with a truck.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
that leaves: turning the compost piles, mowing several acres of pasture (including up/down a steep hill), post-hole digging, and light-duty landscape work.
A B isn't much more than a BX. I wouldn't mow pasture with a BX, the wheels are too small and it doesn't have much clearance. They're a great mower on landscaped lawn, but rough mowing I think needs a bit bigger machine. A B2301 can be very similar cost to a BX. Were you planning on mowing pasture with the MMM, or with a flail or bush hog? I think I'd personally look at a B or bigger and a flail for that mowing. Turning compost piles, light duty landscaping, post hole digging are all fine with a BX or B.

Have you considered a much older machine - a B7100 or similar with FEL, put a flail on the back? Nothing you're doing sounds like it needs a new machine, and as you say not many hours a year.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Ohh, and one more udpate -- the RCK60B was from the BX..00 series from the 90's (like BX1800, BX2200, etc). My local dealer said the linkages are not compatible that far back. *shrug* Seems like he did some homework on it and did not just idly blow off my query.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I anticipated that the treddle peddle might be an issue, but it actually wasn’t even a little bit of an issue. I’m 6’2” with a size 12 foot. I keep my foot on the platform though not the peddle. I haven’t run a BX, but I doubt it would be an issue either.

I think the JD has a better mower hookup from what I’ve seen, but that wasn’t an issue for me as a non midpto owner. However, I’ve taken my mower deck off my Poulon Pro mower deck a few times, so I don’t think I’d make a decision based on it. With the price of a solid 42 mower being 1000, I didn’t even consider a midmount. Maybe the decision was easier for me since I bought the 17.5 Poulon Pro first, and I have room to store the separate riding mower. Other people prefer a rear mount mower just to be able to back under trees and near ponds.

Obviously, Orange is a better color than Green/Yellow. :D Some of that might have to do with me being a Tennessee graduate. ;)

I didn’t seriously consider JD after watching a few videos that suggested you pay more for less. It would be different if Kubota wasn’t a great brand. Funny thing was when I bought my property the contractors and employees kept harrassing me about when I was buying my Kubota. At that point, I knew little about Kubota, but after research, I’m confident that Kubotas are solid.

Reactions: 1 user

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Have you considered a much older machine - a B7100 or similar with FEL, put a flail on the back? Nothing you're doing sounds like it needs a new machine, and as you say not many hours a year.
Yeah, that would probably be the smart money way to do it. The pasture isn't rough ground, so, I'm not terribly worried about the MMM doing the job (it will only be high-mowed to 4" or more). But, around the house, I really would prefer the finish mower for that.

Edit -- also, I've been mowing it with a small riding mower for the last couple of years. So, the BX w/ 60" MMM should feel like a vast improvement and it should also be able to actually climb the hill part as well. The sheep do most of the work, but, but, it has to be mowed on occasion to keep it from growing stems which the sheep won't eat.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Yeah, that would probably be the smart money way to do it. The pasture isn't rough ground, so, I'm not terribly worried about the MMM doing the job (it will only be high-mowed to 4" or more). But, around the house, I really would prefer the finish mower for that.

Edit -- also, I've been mowing it with a small riding mower for the last couple of years. So, the BX w/ 60" MMM should feel like a vast improvement and it should also be able to actually climb the hill part as well. The sheep do most of the work, but, but, it has to be mowed on occasion to keep it from growing stems which the sheep won't eat.
OK, that makes a lot more sense. Yes, a BX will do that fine. Do you have another tractor as well, or will this be your only tractor? If it's your only tractor I'd seriously look at the B2301, you'll wish you had later. If you have a bigger machine as well, then BX will do fine.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Do you have another tractor as well, or will this be your only tractor?
No, the intent is for *this* to be the "big" tractor (compared to the POS riding lawn mower that has done limited work for the last 2 years, a BX is actually "big"). I'm going to sell the rider for a few shillings to free up the garage space. I think a BX will do so much more than I can do with a shovel and my back in comparison.

Maybe you are right that the BX will become my gateway drug for the next bigger thing, but, I think I'll keep the ~$3k in the pocket and decide that later 🤠

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My starter tractor was a BX. An older BX2350. My argument to upgrade to the B was that the BX was pretty beaten up, and I'd proved that I needed it by using it every weekend for 2 years. If I'd bought a new BX that might have been a harder argument (with myself). A BX is an excellent lawn tractor. It's not really a farm tractor. A B isn't either really, but it's a lot closer than a BX.

You're right, the BX will be so much better than the rider that you won't know how you ever lived without it, so it's not a bad decision. But I'm pretty confident that you'll start wanting the B.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Paul I have to disagree with you, my BX has cut chopped moved more thing than I ever thought it could do. Multiflora rose, grape vines small branches and just about everything else, that little BX will chop up. Now the only issue I had was my wife would run the deck with the wheels on the ground, if she couldnt see worms arses the grass was too long, so the anti scalp wheels were the only real issue. My BX 2360 has proven it self many times over , inthe woods in the lower field about 4 acers around the house, it has been a real beast. So don't down play the little beasty, as a fancy lawn mower cause they aint, they work and work well. Just MHO :)

Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
OP: Shop around, get a few quotes. I bought by BX23S in the fall. The big far away dealer quoted me $1000 over list on the tractor, the closer little dealer quoted me $1,000 under list for the tractor.
:geek:

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
OP: Shop around, get a few quotes. ...
Indeed, I have. Strange times these days. Local dealer got 10 BX's in stock 2 weeks ago, they have 3 left. Similar story in other dealerships in the area with inventory on hand. There are some rebates that all dealers are cutting the price by, but, nobody is budging much beyond that -- they just don't need to since they have no idea when the next batch of product they have on order will make it onto their lots.

On the secondary market, I looked at a very nice 1025R that was 4 years old w/ 250 hours on it. He was asking $2k less than my local dealer's opening quote for brand new one (similarly equipped). I tried to offer him $1k less than his asking price for the used one and the gent wasn't budging. A few days later, the ad is gone -- he sold it. Similar thing attempting to get a 6 year old BX1870. I called on it, got the details. Called back the next day: it was already sold for full asking price ($14.5K w/ a few extra implements, most of them really cheep flimsy junk).

So, after kicking enough tires I just agreed on the following w/ my local dealer:
BX2380, FEL w/ quick attach, 60" MMM (non-driver over) -- $17.0k + tax. I'll pick it up tomorrow and get to work w/ it.

It's not a great deal, but, I just don't have more time/energy to hope something better comes along.

Last edited:
  • Love

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
It's not the tractor, it's the attachments that getcha'. :geek:
Congrats on going over the ledge.

Now onto pics please.......

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
congrats on your purchase. I hope you enjoy it

It's not a great deal, but, I just don't have more time/energy to hope something better comes along.
That happens to me more often than not. Buying tractors, buying houses, selecting a spouse ...